Council E-mail on ground development. (North Stand )

Thank you for your email.

On 1 August 2011, the Council's Cabinet resolved to acquire the Lancaster Club from Oldham Athletic and to pay a capital grant of upto £700,000 (seven hundred thousand pounds) to assist in the development of a new North Stand.

The assistance offered by the Council therefore was twofold.

In agreeing to purchase the Lancaster Club - at a price that had been independently verified as representing Market Value - the Council conditioned the acquisition whereby a portion of the purchase money would only be released based on the progression of a new North Stand. Therefore, if development of the North Stand did not take place, the club would not realise the full value of the Lancaster Club site.

In terms of progress, again to protect the Council, it was agreed that the purchase would not complete (and therefore that Oldham Athletic would not receive the purchase money), until such time whereby the Council had achieved planning permission for the Lancaster Club site. For your information, the planning application was submitted on 19 April 2012 and it is hoped that the Council would receive the necessary permission - which would allow the purchase of the Lancaster Club to complete - within the statutory timescales for planning determination.

In terms of the grant, in order to 'kickstart' the development works (appreciating that the club would not receive the Lancaster Club money immediately); the Council have already made £300,000 (three hundred thousand pounds) available. This money is available to help fund the preliminary works - including design fees etc.

I understand that Oldham Athletic have some initial designs and have been busy showing these to potential operators who would occupy parts of the stand and help generate the ongoing revenue which the club requires. In terms of these operators, whilst agreements are still being negotiated, it would be inadvisable for the Council to release this commercially sensitive information. However, I would like to stress that, Oldham Council has directed a number of enquiries to the club and they are naturally taking the lead on the negotiations with the third party operators.

I trust that you will find this information sufficient for your purposes and would hope that upon completing the Lancaster Club purchase, this would prove to be a catalyst for redevelopment at Boundary Park.

Kind regards

Councillor Jim McMahon

Leader of Oldham Council and of the Labour Group

Member for Failsworth East Ward

Sounds promising (he says as he touches anything wooden).

So, long story short:

1) the Council's planning application to buy the Lancaster club was submitted on 19 April

2) the club has been given £300k to begin design and consultation

3) the club will receive an extra £400k upon acceptance of the planning application

Just one startling question - where's the rest of the money coming from? £700k won't get you very far.

DAN!!

In was announced last summer the land purchase money £5m plus the grant of £700k. I assume this is still the case. However nothing shocks me anymore in this long running saga. I would believe anything until I see building work. Does sound promising though

Your wrong Ackey the reality is land values increased in past 12 months. Surprising as that might sound. Was listening to a FSA explanation on interest rates and it clearly was talking about ISA values and how to keep savings worth as much as possible. The question of land came up and again clearly said you have a BIGGER asset. I struggled to get my head round it at time but its increased quite a lot in terms of pension funds. Doesnt mean people have it to buy it!!!! but as an asset on paper worth more. I would have thought it is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Farm land prices in Wales doubled in 5 years. In England rose 11% in 2011.

Your forgetting about inflation here.

Your forgetting about inflation here.

I don't think so, but I think it may be more relevant to farmland than building land. The value of either obviously comes from hat you can do with it, food prices have been on the up for years whilst house prices haven't (except London and a few other places). I was reading just the other day about the various shady Russians and Sheiks who own bigger farming estates than various Dukes.

omg some news at last . bit suprised that cllr jim has said so much in view of sc trying to say nothing . i just hope it doesnt jepordise the deal . this stand is so important to the club . it has to be right in terms of generating revenue . i want it to be good for the fans but more important that it brings in money and restores confidence in the club . if anyone needs evidence of this take a look at what the main stand at wycombe does for their club .

I think the above is good news. The club are obviously wanting to keep things close to their chest (depending on progress with third parties there may even be nothing to keep close to the chest) but it's nice to know that steps are being taken, or at least appear to be. Persuading people to invest in a new project is going to be a hard sell at the moment but all we can ask is that SC and the Council continue to plug away until it's secured.

Also well done to Kyle for chasing and thank you for passing on the response.

If we were to get this new stand then what would happen to the current main stand ? I presume it would stay how it is but then again didnt corney say it costs an arm and leg in maintenance.

The old main stand (apparently a death trap) will have to be flattened.

We have a 3 sided ground reputation to maintain,

I seriously doubt all information jim mcmahon has given in that email isnt already available in the public domain. you just have to look hard enough. i really can not see him putting the whole project at risk to send 1 fan an email which he gets no benefit from.

Explains why the land deal hasn't been signed if it's now worth more than the initial £5 Million outlay, no wonder they're stalling - 2 pieces of land, both with planning permission, increasing in value and people say Corney's hands aren't tied by the other two lurking in the background.

I emailed councillor McMahon weeks ago and word for word that's the reply I got back.Yet some saw it as a surprise that I knew the above not sure why it has to be kept secret that the land deal hasn't been signed.

Edited by oafcprozac

£5m back then will not be market value today, I'd expect a lot, lot less.

The club purchased the Lancaster club in 2009 which was after the major fall in land prices. We actually cancelled the BP development because the club couldn't sell the land for housing at the same rate it expected. If planning permission is granted, it could actually make the land more valuable.

I seriously doubt all information jim mcmahon has given in that email isnt already available in the public domain. you just have to look hard enough. i really can not see him putting the whole project at risk to send 1 fan an email which he gets no benefit from.

Council meetings would report the same.

i personally would like to know exactly what the planning permission on the lancaster club consists of. who is it the planning permission is assessed by? if its the normal planning committee it wont get rejected, they would liase with the committee throughout ensuring it wouldnt get rejected, surely?

Edited by philliggi

i personally would like to know exactly what the planning permission on the lancaster club consists of. who is it the planning permission is assessed by? if its the normal planning committee it wont get rejected, they would liase with the committee throughout ensuring it wouldnt get rejected, surely?

http://planningpa.oldham.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_OLDHA_DCAPR_47179

I would have thought it would be the normal planning comittee minus anyone with a conflict of interest. If there is any opposition to the redevelopment, it could provide an obstacle.

For the Lazy:

PA/332371/12 | Outline application for a residential-led mixed use scheme, to include engineering works, change of use and construction of new buildings and structures to provide shop (A1), financial and professional services (A2), restaurants and cafe's (A3), drinking establishments (A4), hot food takeaway (A5), dwelling houses (C3), non-residential institutions (D1) and assembly and lesiure (D2) together with ancillary and associated development including open space, car parking and vehicular access. Access to be considered, all other matters reserved. | Lancaster club, Broadway, Failsworth, Manchester, M35 0DX
Edited by Ackey
For the Lazy