If you could change one thing from the last 18 years

I say 18 years because if i said 20 everyone's choice would be the Hughes goal, and it would be a pretty boring topic. Basically, since relegation from the premiership.

what single event (I.e. goal, transfer, missed penalty) would you change? I'm not talking about a whole series of events that come under one banner, like the moore era, or the season from january - may that saw us fall from top to 6th and just scrape the playoffs under sheridan. Which SPECIFIC event would you change.

Mine would probably be the appointment of Graeme Sharp after we got relegated, and Royle joined everton. there were serious calls for Ritchie to get the job back then, but looking back i dont think that would have been a good call either. we needed an experienced head, or even a big name retiring player to take the reins, and could attract some decent players. as it were Sharp was in-experienced, and basically useless, and as they say, the rest is history.

I say 18 years because if i said 20 everyone's choice would be the Hughes goal, and it would be a pretty boring topic. Basically, since relegation from the premiership.

what single event (I.e. goal, transfer, missed penalty) would you change? I'm not talking about a whole series of events that come under one banner, like the moore era, or the season from january - may that saw us fall from top to 6th and just scrape the playoffs under sheridan. Which SPECIFIC event would you change.

Mine would probably be the appointment of Graeme Sharp after we got relegated, and Royle joined everton. there were serious calls for Ritchie to get the job back then, but looking back i dont think that would have been a good call either. we needed an experienced head, or even a big name retiring player to take the reins, and could attract some decent players. as it were Sharp was in-experienced, and basically useless, and as they say, the rest is history.

Like an ex international with a top flight career behind him?

The big, "what could have been," for me is the QPR playoffs. Maybe if that fat prick of a goalkeeper hadn't tried to kill our back line it could have been different. Who knows what would have happened if we'd gone up though, maybe gone bust in an even more spectacular way?

Like an ex international with a top flight career behind him?

The big, "what could have been," for me is the QPR playoffs. Maybe if that fat prick of a goalkeeper hadn't tried to kill our back line it could have been different. Who knows what would have happened if we'd gone up though, maybe gone bust in an even more spectacular way?

Granted he was an international, but i wouldnt class him as a household name. im talking about someone who was a national figure, like Bruce/Hughes/Robson/Dimatteo etc have been. we could have attracted someone of this ilk at the time. But we got Sharp, the cheap option.

Granted he was an international, but i wouldnt class him as a household name. im talking about someone who was a national figure, like Bruce/Hughes/Robson/Dimatteo etc have been. we could have attracted someone of this ilk at the time. But we got Sharp, the cheap option.

Everton were a top club then don't forget, I'd say he had been one of the top strikers in the League over a number of years.

Everton were a top club then don't forget, I'd say he had been one of the top strikers in the League over a number of years.

He had a good career in the 80's, but its still not one i would compare to the likes of bruce and hughes. and in any case, my first choice would have been an experienced topflight manager rather than any retiring ex pro

He had a good career in the 80's, but its still not one i would compare to the likes of bruce and hughes. and in any case, my first choice would have been an experienced topflight manager rather than any retiring ex pro

i think if you looked at the record of all 3, you'll see there's not a great deal of difference. And looking retrospectively at what Bruce has achieved, would you really want him?

Don't forget Sharpe got the job on Royle's recommendation and I don't think any manager could have eked any more money from the board as the Lees Bros. and the useless lump of a chairman who were determined to move any assets out and replace them with players who cost less than a quarter. I don't know the answer but I would be interested in seeing who Sharpe brought into the club.

Struggling to find exact signings for sharp, but here is the transfers for 95/96. in and out

Toddy Midfield 28 Years

02.08.1966 Stoke City

England 237.600 £ somebody.jpgStuart Barlow Striker 27 Years

16.06.1968 Everton FC

Premier League ? somebody.jpgScott McNiven Defence, Fullback, right 17 Years

27.05.1978 Oldham Athletic U18

England - somebody.jpgMark Allott Midfield, Central Midfield 17 Years

03.10.1977 Oldham Athletic U18

England - somebody.jpgAndy Hughes Midfield, Central Midfield 17 Years

02.01.1978 Oldham Athletic U18

England - somebody.jpgMichel Vonk * Defence 26 Years

28.10.1968 Manchester City

Premier League ? somebody.jpgGerry Creaney * Striker 25 Years

13.04.1970 Manchester City

Premier League ? Average age: 22,4 Years Total: 237.600 £

Departures

Player/Position Age Nat. to club Transfer fee somebody.jpgNeil Pointon Defence 30 Years

28.11.1964 Heart of Midlothian FC

Scottland 48.400 £ somebody.jpgRick Holden Midfield 30 Years

09.09.1964 Blackpool FC

England ? somebody.jpgAndy Ritchie Striker 34 Years

28.11.1960 Scarborough FC

England ? somebody.jpgMichel Vonk * Defence 26 Years

28.10.1968 Manchester City

Premier League - Average age: 30,0 Years Total: 48.400 £

Would the building of Sports Park 2000 be an option. I know it's an off-field matter but it would of probably put us in a much stronger position as a club

yeah, anything and everything to do with latics as long as its 1 single event/non event

Well IMO thats the biggest set-back the club has had. If that stadium had been built we'd of been a much more viable option for investment, we'd probably be getting better crowds and it would of been easier for the club to implement cheap ticket deals

And he still missed that open fekking goal at Wembley from two yards out when we were 1-0 up the :censored:.

For me, the single most disastrous event in Latics history, no matter how many years you go back.

When I look at my avatar, I think why? why? Then it hits me; Graeme fecking Sharp, that's why!

And he still missed that open fekking goal at Wembley from two yards out when we were 1-0 up the :censored:.

For me, the single most disastrous event in Latics history, no matter how many years you go back.

When I look at my avatar, I think why? why? Then it hits me; Graeme fecking Sharp, that's why!

It still grates me that he missed three reasonably straight-forward chances that day, never had any real affinity with the club or fans and yet was made manager the following season.

Other than that, the QPR game was obviously massive - if I could change one thing it would be Fitz Hall's last minute shot at Loftus Road went in, rather than being spectacularly saved by their 'keeper. Wayne Andrews had been sent off by then, but I still reckon we could have done 'em had that gone in....

when blayney and eardley ran into each other to let hoolahan tap into an open net in 1st leg of the playoffs v blacpool , knew we had to get summat out of that 1st leg to have a chance

That was the last year they had away goals count as double rule innit?

Getting married, having kids, going fat and bald, crippling my liver....oh, sorry, just Oldham related.

Biggest problem - lack of meaningful investment, lack of stadium. If i could, i'd change the owner. I'd try to con some rich Russian bloke into buying the club.

Actual thing to change - Miskelly. How appropriate, his name.

The QPR play-off.

Contradiction - Chris M***e. That was hell. Yes, if it came down to one thing it would be him. Worst few weeks ever.