Whats a good season?

before a ball is kicked, what would you consider to be a good season, and where do you realistically think we will end up - in each competition?

League - Anything top half is an achievement. Think it will be 12-14th realistically.

FA Cup - Any team at our level has to be looking at the third round

League cup - Couldnt give a monkeys. It loses us money and injures our players. out first round please

JPT - Gotta be looking to win this. should have done last year if your honest. Dickov approaches it in the right way

Edited by philliggi

League: an improvement on last few years is vital to keeping fans, I'd hope for top half and anything else is a bonus

FA Cup: third round, or a televised match in rounds one or two, clubs like us need the money

League Cup: already got a payday in a TV clash against Weds but we can be greedy and want a R2 game at old trafford!

JPT: either go all the way or not at all. Last season affected the league campaign and we fell apart after it. Getting to wembley would lift the club but not getting there (e.g. Chesterfield) would have another negative effect. League comes first, cup runs are a bonus

Edited by oafc-latics

league - i would love to see the team push for the top 6 this season , robbie simpson looks like he could be the key man and we have a solid central midefield partnership with deano and wes so there is no reason not to believe , im really confident about our chances in the league although i wouldnt be too disapointed with a mid table finish.

FA cup - get to round 3 again and hopefully pull another big tie out of the bag

Capital one cup - similar to the fa cup really , just hope we can get a big name.

JPT - its a tough one , although its a chance to get to wembley id much rather concentrate on the league.

Pretty similar to to the OP.

I think if (big if mind) we can get 40 games or so from the core, key players that make up our starting X1, and as & when the reserve kids come in they step up - we could (should?) be on for a mid-table to upper mid-table finish. It's all about progression, we've finished 17th & 16th last 2 seasons, so whilst 15th this time is again progression; I think we should be aiming for slightly higher. Play-offs are pipe dream though…

A real good go in the JPT again, we should have reached Wembley last season, we should be aiming for that again this time again IMO.

FA Cup - 3rd round again; to put us in the mix for another plum tie

League Cup - play every game to win, but I wouldn't be overly disappointed to leave early rounds in this - not falling at the 1st mind; like us to beat the Wendies!!!

Progression and development is the name of the game. As I say, if we keep the core out on the pitch, we'll be on for a decent season IMO, it's what happens in a fixture pile up or a mass of injuries / suspensions that worry me…

Edited by slystallone

League - Ideally Play-offs. Realistically Top half mid table - Playing entertaining football that helps to retain some of the cheap ticket fans next season

Fa cup - 3rd Round pay-day

League Cup - Ditto

JPT - Ideally Win it. Realistically don't want too many games with small squad

Pretty similar to to the OP.

I think if (big if mind) we can get 40 games or so from the core, key players that make up our starting X1, and as & when the reserve kids come in they step up - we could (should?) be on for a mid-table to upper mid-table finish. It's all about progression, we've finished 17th & 16th last 2 seasons, so whilst 15th this time is again progression; I think we should be aiming for slightly higher. Play-offs are pipe dream though…

A real good go in the JPT again, we should have reached Wembley last season, we should be aiming for that again this time again IMO.

FA Cup - 3rd round again; to put us in the mix for another plum tie

League Cup - play every game to win, but I wouldn't be overly disappointed to leave early rounds in this - not falling at the 1st mind; like us to beat the Wendies!!!

Progression and development is the name of the game. As I say, if we keep the core out on the pitch, we'll be on for a decent season IMO, it's what happens in a fixture pile up or a mass of injuries / suspensions that worry me…

With this, Sky TV money and last nights earner nice start to the season cash wise!

League: an improvement on last season is needed, if we are going to push for a playoff spot, need it to be after Christmas rather than before it.

JPT: either go out in the first game or make the final, pointless otherwise

League Cup: anything is a bonus, would be happy to beat Wednesday as long as we get a decent draw next round

FA Cup: 3rd round at least or its pointless

with such a small squad I would happily go out of every cup at the first stage if it gives us an extra 5 places in the league

Mid-table would be successful but you always hope for more

all depends on injuries and using the loan market better than we have in the past

I think for a little while yet, I start every season thinking finishing 20th in the league and being able to start the season after is a reasonable season. Anything more than that is a bonus.

Beating City with some big name players is one layer of icing though; especially given the gate receipts.

League wise:

A good season - anything higher than last

A very good season - top half

Unblievable season - Play offs

Wake me up I'm dreaming - Promotion

Cups:

Doing as well as possible. If we lose 2-1vs Wednesday, I wont be disapointed. We had a hard draw and that would be as far as we could go.

Other points:

Finish the season strongly... it gives you optimism for the next

Don't have a big spell where we struggle to score goals.

A successful season for me would be for us not to have a slump from mid-February onwards which sucks us into a relegation scrap or obviously being in a relegation scrap throughout the season.

The cup depends on who we draw, we could someone we should beat. We might get someone difficult and on form

In the league: We should aim at a top 10 finish I actually expect us to be about the same as where we were last time but still believe we should be aiming fairly high but not a goal we can't reach. Alot of people have talked about the need to keep people fit we can't rely on our 1st 11 alone, certainly if you want a promotion piush you need a 1st 11 a good bench and then something after that so top 6 is out for me.

League cup/FA cup: If we can do well in this and get some unbudgeted revenue and a potential day/night out for us all then great

JPT - Get out as early as possible you don't make anything unless you go all the way which is just to bigger risk give the kids some exposure in these games and see what they can do.

Off the pitch; Getting the new stand and the asssociated add ons approved and started. That alone would contribute a season of progress

Unless we get a high profile match (big club or televised) or a local away game for me, I'm not bothered about the cups and wouldn't use any of them as a yardstick for success.

Top half would be great but I'd only class it as successful if we finished the season in decent form. On the flip side if we finish well then 12th-15th would do for me. Below 16th would be a failure and while Dickov seems to be on his way to a good managerial career I'd be surprised if he was still in the job if that's where we finish.

League: 15th or above, with 10th or more being a good season and anything from 6th being a great season, promotion, it's not gonna be impossible, but realistically? we won't be near, that's my head thinking, not my heart!

Cup: FA Cup, ideally want a pay day in the FA Cup but could possibly get one in the league cup i guess... JPT should be winnable with our first 11 but don't want to :censored: up in the Northern finala again with morale slumping and our form also hitting rock bottom.

Overall, i'd love anything 10th or up in the league with a cup run in any trophy

I think Dickov needs to get a priority and stick to it. If we genuinely want to challenge for playoffs - which isnt impossible then we need to forget cups and play kids.

But if we are happy for mid table then go all out for the cups, especially JPT.

Knowing Dickov he will just do same as last season.