Yet Another Awful Performance

It seems that every time I have driven home from BP since the turn of the year , I have arrived home with my blood boiling at yet another inept performance.

Two home games in and it looks no different.

In 3 games we have scored 1 goal , an error by the other teams keeper.

How many saves did Day have to make today ?

Stevenage were a very organised team , they hunted in packs when we had the ball. We do not look like a unit at all imo.

And as for using Simpson as a target man ......well that plan was abandoned by half time.

And finally our best back four arrived after Tarkowski was taken off ,looking like his confidence is shattered.

I might be wrong but I would not be surprised if the current management team will soon be on their way , we need some steel putting in the team and quickly , history shows we need a good first half of the season to survive.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another poor performance, didn't at any stage look like endangering the Stevenage goal , nobody ever had a go at running at the defenders , instead it was sideways and backwards passing until they cut it out. Simpson was isolated and had no support, smith came on and had scraps to feed off...we need signings and we need them fast

This is about desire, hunger and making it happen. We don't have it.

Awful effort.

Furman has turned into Kalala part two - move the thing fowards Dean. Tarky cost us the goal for being unable to head it properly. Simpson's spent another 90 minutes trying (unsuccessfully) to con free kicks out of the referee.

M'Changama is the only one with any urgency. Smith did okay. Montano was far better than last Saturday and provides a crumb of hope.

The pitch did superbly soaking up that rain.

Who wants it lads? Who :censored:ing wants it on a Saturday afternoon when it matters? If you can't be arsed please ask for your contract to be terminated and piss off.

Edited by opinions4u

Furman should be driving us forward yet seems content with passing side to side. Everything we do is laboured, slow and predictable.

I do believe we have some good players in the first eleven but I am still not sure what our style of play is.

Down London today so gave my dad my ST (I'm sure he'll thank me) and I'm so glad I missed another one of these performances I know so well.

Somehow just seeing the result and hearing about it can't put me in the mood I was in walking up sheepfoot lane Tuesday.

Another poor performance, didn't at any stage look like endangering the Stevenage goal , nobody ever had a go at running at the defenders , instead it was sideways and backwards passing until they cut it out. Simpson was isolated and had no support, smith came on and had scraps to feed off...we need signings and we need them fast

Actually, we need a manager that can utilize and motivate the players, because the players we have are capable of playing much, much better than they did today.

Started 4 1 4 1 and played badly with Simpson completely ineffective. Confidence has gone. Gave away another goal. PD was booed at half time not the team. Somebody must have told PD to change things and Smith came on into a 4 4 2. Looked much better. Tarky made another bad error and was taken off - PD ignored him as he walked by. Defence looked even better and we could have won the game had we seen 45 more minutes of this.

It was far from acceptable. It lacked the fight I've moaned about on this forum for a long time. However, Stevenage are a very good side. The squad still has obvious traces of Westley's philosophy flowing through it; the constricting of space and clever fouls away from dangerous spots that the referee will simply blow up at.

They scrapped, we didn't. It's as simple as that. But for the first time I spotted Dickov blowing his fuse. He was ripping into the players. I think the criticism of Furman is perfectly justified. It's becoming quite clear how well Wesolowski shields his faults.

The whole team lacks confidence. I feel for Tarkowski, as well. The poor lad is in the line of fire and he needs to be taken out of the limelight for a couple of months.

However, I heard something that made me forget the game itself: the attendance. The club is in a dire and potentially critical condition and the next 3-5 years are going to be big years. The club needs every available supporter to attend. I know the football isn't the best but the present has never been the most important thing regarding a football club - it's the future.

There were slightly over 3,000 supporters there today - call it say 3,100 home fans. I know some of those not there today will be on holiday etc but it needs dragging up to 4,000 at least. Those who can't attend because of money, work, travel and family commitments can't be expected to turn up every other week - but we need those who CAN attend to start doing so. I hope the football improves and results too, but if it doesn't we move on, but we need some drastic action.

I realsed today that I couldn't care less at the moment about Dickov, the players or league position - I care about the health of the club. We all have different opinions - both sides to this ongoing argument are justified, but we all support the same club. We need more of us to start doing so on a consistent basis.

I'm worried.

Can Dickov give a simple instruction to the players?

PASS IT FORWARDS.

There was no forward momentum from worthless crab passes. And when the ball is kicked forward can it be kicked with some urgency? Some desire to attack? I'd rather we go out onto the pitch fighting to score goals than be content with keeping a clean sheet and hoping that the goalkeeper makes an error to allow us a goal. Unfortunately, these are the tactics at the moment, evidently.

I think this game was lost before kick off !

playing Simpson as an isolated striker after we had seen the front two guys get precious little in the way of service on tuesday was quite simply rank bad management;

Maybe if we had started with the 11 that finished the game it could have been a different story, but then, if's and but's won't get us anywhere.

To my mind it seems ridiculous that with a mangement team consisting of both a good striker and centre back, in their playing days, we are powder puff in attack and a soft touch ( excluding Mvoto ) at the back.

Can thoroughly understand the reactions of a lot of people on here, i have parted with fifty quid this week to be left feeling totally demoralised.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............

i HAD said i'd give it after this game to judge, because 4 points from Walsall/Stevenage would have been alright.

We had three points against Walsall... gifted them an equalizer..

We had a point against Stevenage... gifted them an easy 1-0 win..

On the plus side, Dickov made changes from Tuesday and it was brave to go 4-5-1. The problem was that Simpson was on his own and Winchester was useless and rightly brought off at HT. And again, fair play to Dickov, he made changes in the second half with Smith (who did what Winchester should have done, looked to get involved and push people about), Hughes and Brown.

I can't fault PD too much for today because he changed it around, saw it wasnt working and changed again. We had chances in the second half to get at least a point. It's hard to see where the passion Dickov has is lost on the pitch. We were so slow getting forward and all Stevenage had to do was wander back behind the ball and make us pass sideways.

The worst thing though was not looking whatsoever like putting the ball in the net. Most days i can find positives, but there arent many today. Byrne, Furman, Simpson, Winchester were really really bad, and Tarky, M'voto, Grounds, Montano, weren't much better. we've put the pressure on ourselves to get points at Pompey and Doncaster and to start getting the best out of the team because we're nowhere near at the moment, should be looking at 4 points now, not one.