Dickov In or Out

Sack or Keep  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Keep

I don't think he'll last the season, but we should wait until a replacement that would improve us became available. Dickov will get us by, we're running at a point per game at the moment which would see us getting relegated by the end of the season, so get someone in when we can, but not now.

I would like to think Corney's already got a short list and made a couple of phone calls to have people on standby.

The are dozens of out of work football managers, 75% of whom have a better record than Dickov.

There are hundreds of pros who have reached then end of their careers who would want give it a crack.

There are numerous coaches with experience who are well enough placed to step up.

Peter Reid, Brian Horton, Billy Davies. Gregan. Earl Barrett. There's a short list of five.

Other than giving Dickov a "fair chance" with new players I can't see any reason to wait.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That seems a bit contradictory.......we'll be relegated but don't replace him ?

Results need to improve immediately imo for him to stay on. Coventry WILL be a big game, can you imagine the reaction if we get beat at home on saturday ?

if we carry on at the rate we're going we'll go down, but we'd need the right person to replace him and i can only think of Sean Dyche at the moment who'd possibly come here. I say give him a few more games to turn it around, we won't be cast adrift at this stage, until we can make the right decision.

Everything points to a Coventry win on Saturday. Their feature on the FLS last night showed a manager who wants to win, players who will have to prove to their manager and theyre coming up to Oldham on a :censored: run of form. We will have to play at our best to beat them, and they will be fired up for it.

I would like to think Corney's already got a short list and made a couple of phone calls to have people on standby.

The are dozens of out of work football managers, 75% of whom have a better record than Dickov.

There are hundreds of pros who have reached then end of their careers who would want give it a crack.

There are numerous coaches with experience who are well enough placed to step up.

Peter Reid, Brian Horton, Billy Davies. Gregan. Earl Barrett. There's a short list of five.

Other than giving Dickov a "fair chance" with new players I can't see any reason to wait.

Nonsense, surely the last thing you want when trying to turn around a struggling football team is another rookie having his first go at football management? And surely Corney would be reluctant to go down that route again after Dickov? So that rules out Gregan and Barrett. I think that list, Billy Davies aside, shows the complete dearth of managers we could realistically bring to BP who would be able to turn things around. I don't think Davies would come here in a million years. Sean Dyche is the only other I'd genuinely be happy to see replace PD at this point.

Nonsense, surely the last thing you want when trying to turn around a struggling football team is another rookie having his first go at football management

Did you actually read my post? At all?

Did you understand the post it was replying to?

FFS I'm sure of typed my fair share of nonsense into this site over the years but that post wasn't one of them.

I don't think we will be looking to bring in a manager if Dickov goes..........I think Philliskirk will be asked to take temporary charge.

Whatever happens the next appointment has to be the right one but with our recent history, dwindling crowds, a lowish salary,and no money for players the managers with a good pedigree won't exactly be queing up!!

I can't see any chance at all of Dickov saving his job over the next few weeks and he could even go on Saturday with a defeat at home to Coventry. I don't think Dickov has won three league games on the bounce out of 99 so even 3 in a month would also be asking a lot.

I am really gutted that Dickov hasn't been a success but I also think the players we have are more than good enough. It hasn't worked out for Dickov but if we could get the right man in to coach these players I think we would do OK.

Did you actually read my post? At all?

Did you understand the post it was replying to?

FFS I'm sure of typed my fair share of nonsense into this site over the years but that post wasn't one of them.

I read it, but may have misinterpretated it. Apologies if that's the case Doffinghatsmiley.gif

I think he needs to stop emphasising the performance as much as he does and focus more on the little things that seem to be making the difference at the moment like the slip-ups in defence and missed chances. I didn't go yesterday but from what I saw on Tuesday the quality is there we need to be more clinical when it really matters.

Nonsense, surely the last thing you want when trying to turn around a struggling football team is another rookie having his first go at football management? And surely Corney would be reluctant to go down that route again after Dickov? So that rules out Gregan and Barrett. I think that list, Billy Davies aside, shows the complete dearth of managers we could realistically bring to BP who would be able to turn things around. I don't think Davies would come here in a million years. Sean Dyche is the only other I'd genuinely be happy to see replace PD at this point.

Right, bit of geekery here, but just been on the LMA website, and here is the list of outof work managers (guess these are all members of the LMA; there may be more who aren't that aren't on this list):

In no particular order, here you are - and it shows what Jonesy says above - it's not an exactly inspiring list is it?

Paul Ince

Jim Magilton

Harry Redknapp

Steve Cotterill

Sean Dyche

Ian Hendon

Andy Thorn

Gary Waddock

Iain Dowie

John Sheridan

Paul Simpson

Terry Brown

Paul Mainer

Alex McLeish

Mark Cooper

Andy Hessenthaler

Nick Barmby

Ian Sampson

Lee Bradbury

Stuart Gray

Andy Scott

Simon Davey

Paul Peschisolido

Andy Ritchie

John Barnes

Dave Penney

Gary Megson

Mick McCarthy

Phil Brown

Craig Short

Keith Millen

Peter Reid

George Burley

Peter Jackson

Brain Laws

Brain Horton

Billy Davies

Paul Buckle

Paul Trollope

Sammy McIlroy

Steve Tilson

Paul Hart

Geraint Williams

Peter Taylor

Bryan Gunn

Mark Wotte

Alan Irvine

Kevin Dillon

Roy Keane

Mark Stimson

Chris Hutchings

Mick Wadsworth

From that list, realistic targets who would be interested? Peter Taylor? Peter Reid (maybe?) Brian Laws? Nick Barmby? Sean Dyche (maybe?) Gary Megson?

For all those, it's another reason why I feel we should cntinue with PD, there isn't anyone that jumps ut at me and makes me go - 'wow, we need to get him in'

That's a depressing list. Take out 1) those that are involved with TV, 2) those who we'd never get in a million years such as 'Arry, 3) those we've never heard of and 4) those haven't even done a decent job at a lower level than us and what have you got? Sod all worth bothering with.

Despite the games against Notts County and Scunthorpe yielding the one of the wins I'd have liked to have seen, what I did see was enough to encourage me that there was a potential that we could start get some results sooner rather than later.

I don't think losing at Brentford is in anyway great but it's certainly not enough for me to change my view we are still some weeks off needing to shake the club like an Etch a Sketch and go through all that upheaval. I see Bury are still rudderless 8 games in despite some thinking that managers will just take any job offered to them.

Keep.

from that list, these are the only one's i'd consider and that would consider us really, but all have downsides:

Steve Cotterill - whats the longest he's ever stayed at a club for?

Sean Dyche - we'd be very lucky

Iain Dowie - pushing it, wouldn't be too keen though

Nick Barmby - no ties with the club, no progression from dickov

Lee Bradbury - again, no progression from PD, and would he join a club who's just sacked his best mate?

Keith Millen - we'd be lucky, but he'd do alright... would he move up north?

Peter Reid - hardly inspiring at Plymouth

Brain Laws - experience in this league but probably too expensive

Paul Buckle - gamble.

...and that's a cut down version from the list, only Dyche and Millen would make me think it was a step up from PD if we got rid of him.

from that list, these are the only one's i'd consider and that would consider us really, but all have downsides:

Steve Cotterill - whats the longest he's ever stayed at a club for? No great success except at Cheltenham

Sean Dyche - we'd be very lucky Not a huge amount of experience

Iain Dowie - pushing it, wouldn't be too keen though Not a hope and probably earns more than enough at Sky

Nick Barmby - no ties with the club, no progression from dickov See Sean Dyche

Lee Bradbury - again, no progression from PD, and would he join a club who's just sacked his best mate? Exactly

Keith Millen - we'd be lucky, but he'd do alright... would he move up north? Trust me, Bristol City fans I know were pleased to see him go

Peter Reid - hardly inspiring at Plymouth Let him stick to punditry

Brain Laws - experience in this league but probably too expensive His Burnley and Wendies performances would say 'No thanks' for me

Paul Buckle - gamble. Only successful at Torquay. Brizzle Rovers fans didn't rate him much - reckoned he was almost as bad as Penney

...and that's a cut down version from the list, only Dyche and Millen would make me think it was a step up from PD if we got rid of him.

As I've said, not a very inspiring list overall.

Right, bit of geekery here, but just been on the LMA website, and here is the list of outof work managers (guess these are all members of the LMA; there may be more who aren't that aren't on this list):

In no particular order, here you are - and it shows what Jonesy says above - it's not an exactly inspiring list is it?

Paul Ince

Jim Magilton

Harry Redknapp

Steve Cotterill

Sean Dyche

Ian Hendon

Andy Thorn

Gary Waddock

Iain Dowie

John Sheridan

Paul Simpson

Terry Brown

Paul Mainer

Alex McLeish

Mark Cooper

Andy Hessenthaler

Nick Barmby

Ian Sampson

Lee Bradbury

Stuart Gray

Andy Scott

Simon Davey

Paul Peschisolido

Andy Ritchie

John Barnes

Dave Penney

Gary Megson

Mick McCarthy

Phil Brown

Craig Short

Keith Millen

Peter Reid

George Burley

Peter Jackson

Brain Laws

Brain Horton

Billy Davies

Paul Buckle

Paul Trollope

Sammy McIlroy

Steve Tilson

Paul Hart

Geraint Williams

Peter Taylor

Bryan Gunn

Mark Wotte

Alan Irvine

Kevin Dillon

Roy Keane

Mark Stimson

Chris Hutchings

Mick Wadsworth

From that list, realistic targets who would be interested? Peter Taylor? Peter Reid (maybe?) Brian Laws? Nick Barmby? Sean Dyche (maybe?) Gary Megson?

For all those, it's another reason why I feel we should cntinue with PD, there isn't anyone that jumps ut at me and makes me go - 'wow, we need to get him in'

that is a depressing list. i really wouldn't want reid. outdated.

looks like PD all the way....'cough'...unless robbie wants it.....'cough'......

unless....

.....what's Joe doing????? :imnotworthy:

Results need to improve immediately imo for him to stay on. Coventry WILL be a big game, can you imagine the reaction if when we get beat at home on saturday ?

I hope you don't mind Steve but I took the small liberty of fixing that for you :grin:

Edited by Break The Silence

So the consensus is that we stick with a man, whose record is abysmal, simply because nobody fancies some of those on that list? That list isn't up to date; Steve Tilson (who I'd take) is at Canvey Island and Paul Buckle manages Luton.

I'd personally take Paul Trollope, but he's currently at Norwich City. Did well with Bristol Rovers, has five seasons under his belt,and is only 40. Certainly had it over us during his time with Rovers. I'd also take Tilson, but it'd take a compensation deal and will ultimately be a drawn-out process, which can be disastrous.

Dyche has only a year's experience (which goes against the "experienced" line some take) and Billy Davies commands the Championship. Unless it is one of League One's biggest clubs, I can't see many even contemplating him.

So - Dickov is sacked, as a lot now want, and as a club we'd have to:

Pay him up a full year's contract, as per the rolling 1 year deal he has in place.

Potentially pay up Taggart and Paul Butler also, as if they didn't want to leave their rolling contracts when PD went, we'd have to pay them off too. (They may of course resign their positions if PD was sacked, as sometimes happens with backroom teams)

Can we afford that? I'm not so sure we could.

We would need him to walk away from his contract by resigning; and I don't think PD is a quitter. Sacking him will cost the club yet more funds we don't have.

Were he to be sacked though, we then have to then start the search for a new manager - through the long winded invitation proces & then the interview process.

New contract for the new manager, and new contracts for his chosen backroom team - yet more financial outlay on top of the outlay to sack PD and his team.

Then the new man would look to bring in 1 or 2 players if he could do - more outlay again.

.........and who's to say this as yet unnamed manager would do any better with this group of players than PD currently is? As much as it's a gamble, as some are saying, to keep on PD, it's just as much a gamble to bring in a new man in the hope he would be able to do any better.......with the major issue of a feck load of added expense tit would take to do that.

For me, for now, I can only see that we should keep PD on to manage us. He is learning, and I believe it's not far off from clicking into place.

Getting rid now just isn't an option for me. How much time would the new man be gven before this whole sorry process is repeated again & again? 2 years, groans of discontent, 2 1/2 years and its baying or blood, sacking - new man in - repeat to fade.

Win on saturday and the world looks rosey again, few more wins into October and we'll be sitting pretty again. He needs more time to get this to click, so shall we all convine in December to discuss progress??

I haven't voted because I'm on the fence and I've been there for some time.

Since Dickov's appointment I thought it was a bad move. He had a promising first few months but since has shown himself to be a fairly substandard young manager who struggles to learn from his mistakes, who is very much lacking in tactical nouse and, most surprisingly given his demeanour as a player, who seems unable to get his team fired up.

In his favour, the club has been starved of any sort of continuity since Royle went to Everton and stability is something we're crying out for if we want to arrest the nigh on year-on-year decline. He's kept us in this division (but achieved little all else). The other argument for keeping Dickov is that I have no faith in Corney & co. to appoint anyone better.

They should have given the job to Royle when they had the chance.

Im very bias from being at a club working with the man but really would love Cotterill he is a nasty peice of work but like a martin o'neil on the touchline as I say im bias as know him as a person, worry would be that he has a reputation for jumping from ship to ship

We need experience IF we are going to get rid

Whoever gets the job will have my 100% support have to give people a chance, sad as really want pd to do well but just cant see it getting better`

I will be behind the team and PD against Coventry, he is the bloke in charge, I dont think he is the man for the job but as long as he is here I will support him

So the consensus is that we stick with a man, whose record is abysmal, simply because nobody fancies some of those on that list? That list isn't up to date; Steve Tilson (who I'd take) is at Canvey Island and Paul Buckle manages Luton.

I'd personally take Paul Trollope, but he's currently at Norwich City. Did well with Bristol Rovers, has five seasons under his belt,and is only 40. Certainly had it over us during his time with Rovers. I'd also take Tilson, but it'd take a compensation deal and will ultimately be a drawn-out process, which can be disastrous.

Dyche has only a year's experience (which goes against the "experienced" line some take) and Billy Davies commands the Championship. Unless it is one of League One's biggest clubs, I can't see many even contemplating him.

Brizzle Rovers fans wanted Trollope out long before he was sacked, mainly because he was extra negative with his tactics. The football was abysmal.

Just a few extracts from when he was sacked:

Bristol Rovers have sacked manager Paul Trollope following their exit from the Johnstone's Paint Trophy on Tuesday night to Exeter City on penalties.... "We find ourselves in the bottom four, with attendances dropping off rapidly and felt that immediate action was needed," said chairman Nick Higgs.... The former Wales international also achieved promotion to League One via the play-offs in the same year.

However, this season Rovers have won just five out of 19 league games and sit in the drop zone in League One. Having been dumped out of the FA Cup by Blue Square Bet Premier side Darlington last month, the defeat by Exeter in Tuesday night's southern area semi-final was the final straw for the Rovers board."

That suggests to me that he was OK in League 2 but not good enough for League 1. As a coach, maybe. As a manager, no thanks.

And then they got Penney. A lesson to many on here - be careful what you wish for.

Just 2 votes in it now.

Indeed. Yet he's probably held in high regard by Darlington and Doncaster supporters. That list of names doesn't prove a thing. There are some very, very poor managers, but what makes a success story is a whole host of factors, such as settings, personalities and structures. Penney succeeded somewhere, but wasn't taken to here. Tilson got Southend promoted twice yet he's now with Canvey Island.

All I know is what Dickov has brought to this club and how capable he is of progressing us. Most of us don't know much about the majority of those other managers, so we can't instantly write them all off. BritsolLatics has provided a bit of information I wasn't aware of: his brand of football. I hadn't really noticed it, but there again I remember he used to set his team up very well at Boundary Park and ultimately take the three points back home.

The brand of football still plays a major role with this club. I can't many Tranmere fans moaning about the nature of Moore's style, particularly away from Prenton Park...