Dickov In or Out

Sack or Keep  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Keep

Our first team line up is one of the better ones in the league therefore rightly so, a lot of fans, including myself had higher expectations this season than what you have said, at least better than avoiding relegation. Especially with the aquisitions over the past few weeks of Derbyshire and Baxter it looked as though the squad could challenge the play-offs, I didn't expect that we would necessarily make it but I believed we had a decent opportunity and in or around that position was a viable opinion. So after the start to this season I find myself asking the question, "if another manager had these players would he do better?" Yes.

Just because there hasn't been good football at BP for a while it doesn't mean we can't strive towards having good football at BP and with Dickov, we are certainly not getting good football for longer than 15 minutes per game which is unacceptable with the bunch he has.

Your kidding right? we are nowhere near challenging for the play offs with or without Dickov you telling me now that this squad is as good as 02/03 a team that finished 5th or 06/07 a team which scrapped in to 6th on the last day of the season, not even close.

I've gone for in for now but results and performances are not helping the case for the defence if we don't get an improvement and get embroiled in a regation scrap in the next month or so then I think a desion will have to be made keeps us out of a relegation scrap then keep him on.

I'm tired of sacking a manager new guy comes in gets a honeymoon period, things start to wrong, then everyone on here threatens not to renew their season tickets and we sack the manager and are back at square 1 and repeat ad infinitum.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your kidding right? we are nowhere near challenging for the play offs with or without Dickov you telling me now that this squad is as good as 02/03 a team that finished 5th or 06/07 a team which scrapped in to 6th on the last day of the season, not even close.

Tranmere are top of the league and look at their squad. How much better is that squad to Latics? Stevenage too and a host of mid table teams. This league is not good. Just look at how badly the relegated sides have fared and how the teams promoted have started.

We ARE NOW nowhere near challenging the play-offs but before the season began, the first 11 looked capable of a top half finish and the reinforcements in Baxter and Derbyshire helped improve this theory, yet we still can't grind out wins, and we struggle to find goals even though Croft, Derbyshire, Baxter, Simpson and Montano must be one of the better attacking line ups in the league.

Surely, you can't look at this group of players and think that they are a relegation scrapping set of individuals.

You must be kidding, right?

Edited by NewBlue

They are still big games.

Only in the here and now. Come May nobody will be talking about how Coventry in September was a big game. Lose on Saturday and then Crewe becomes a 'big game' but in the long run, it really isn't. It's only as big as the one after it.

how long do we wait,2 games to the end of the season when its to late,or now when theres time to bed somebody else in,hes had his time and it hasnt worked out so lets close this chapter and open another one

Seen a few people on here say 'Wait till Christmas' but for me that's really late.

I agree chopping and changing managers isn't really the preferred route.....but how long do you persevere with a manager who has presided over a run of abysmal results ?

yea', exactly this.

in recent weeks, i've tried to remain positive but i've came to the conclusion that we need a change.

I am worried now if I'm honest.

I like PD so I have voted keep but he has 2 or 3 matches for me now and the table has turned. I expected to lose today but think we have been tactically naive last 2 home matches.

If Scunny had been on the ball they could have been 4 up at half time.

Hoping now for 7 or 9 points out of 9..............

Time running out with me but my worry is WHO comes in?

I'm an inner.

We were never going to be promoted this season so the only objective is not being relegated. It sucks but lets face facts. We weren't going to get good football at BP this season as we watch a lower, lower league club with a basement budget, you gets what you pay for. The football at BP has been :censored: for about the last 20 years and it wasn't going to be magically better this season.

Sacking Dickov will only achieve a further budget cut, a period of instability and another go on the merry-go-round and I'm sick of it, I'd rather stick with what we've got and build slowly than look for yet another quick fix

I'd love to share this view, and I admire whoever is still as patient as you, but there is no way other supporters will take your position. As a collective group we're up there with the most frustrated and easily irritated in football.

There is no longer anything positive about having Dickov stood on the touchline. I'm beyond despair now. I will always attend games. Those ridiculous ones will always draw a number of idiots like me, but I can no longer handle the same feeling of sheer frustration. The football, despite what Dickov, the deluded Dickov, says, is possible the worst I've seen as an Oldham fan. You could point to Penney, or even Moore, but they had game plans. I'm still no nearer to understanding what Dickov's beliefs are. What does he preach? What's his ideology as a manager? I haven't a clue.

He has failed to coach into his players what he says is "good football". It is often aimless. I've noticed a contradiction in recent weeks. A month ago Dickov mentioned how slowly we got the ball forward. Now, when Smith is on the field, he's criticised too many "long balls". We play "good football", or at least football with a purpose, when Furman plays very well. At the moment, he is allowing himself to be easily marked, and we can't sustain possession. What is Dickov doing about it? Nothing. He's allowed us, very much like Sheridan, to become a scrappy unit who wins by hook or by crook. It may get the odd result, but it's ultimately doomed.

What has he done about our woeful starts to games, particularly at home? Nothing. Our preparation is much the same and it isn't working. Our home form is an embarrassment and has been the major factor behind fans' irritation. We don't create, we don't play at a consistent tempo and we don't score. Blame the players, but the manager is there to implement new ideas and to eventually progress the team to a competitive standard. Our ugly scrappiness is the main reason why we don't get battered 3-0 or 4-0 every game. Or luck has played a part, because we should have been torn apart on Tuesday. Yet we get fed this drivel by a man who simply refuses to be honest enough. It's a poor show when a man who is willing to hide behind "bad" decisions or look to 20 minutes of a match to defend his team.

Tactics? I don't see anything what he does to change a game. Motivation at half-time? The worst I've ever known. The man himself? Lovely bloke.

So what do we do? I hate to admit when I know in my head that the manager's time is up. I begrudgingly admitted it after the 6-2 debacle at MK Dons that was the doing of Sheridan, but he had to go. We're seven games into this season - nine if we want to look at the Cup games (which includes Chesterfield, so I'd rather not) - so, yes, it is early. But we're seeing the same ills that afflicted the previous two seasons. Nothing has changed. He still talks rubbish. He still looks clueless. We still look an ugly, disjointed side.

We have scored 15 league goals in 21 matches. That is woeful. Nor have we looked like scoring many more. And then we return to the shockingly bad number of victories. Ironically, Mark Robins will stand on the touchline next Saturday. He saved Sir Alex's job, they say. Do we honestly see a saviour for our own Scot? I don't. It's sad, but there we are. Time's time.

Sack.

Edited by UpTheLatics

give it until 15 games - third of the way through, then make a decision

there'll be a better idea of who would be available to take over, and if dickov looked like he was going to turn it around

corney has got to be putting pressure on him, and make him know he's on his way out if things arent getting better

I agree with this 15 games idea but Dickov himself did say (stupidly) judge me after 10. By his own plea, if we lose to Coventry would that not mean his 10 game ideology was a failure? I'd say so. And I can't see what waiting till christmas will achieve, thats far too long. if we're bottom of the league by mid november are we gonna just wait till christmas? End of October (7 more games) and we should have a good idea of whether he can turn it around or not

I hope he can but I'm not very optimistic about it

I'm an inner.

We were never going to be promoted this season so the only objective is not being relegated. It sucks but lets face facts. We weren't going to get good football at BP this season as we watch a lower, lower league club with a basement budget, you gets what you pay for. The football at BP has been :censored: for about the last 20 years and it wasn't going to be magically better this season.

Sacking Dickov will only achieve a further budget cut, a period of instability and another go on the merry-go-round and I'm sick of it, I'd rather stick with what we've got and build slowly than look for yet another quick fix

this, this & then some more of this /\

I just like the cut of your jib Beag......spot on

I'm an inner.

Whatever the budget, PD has managed to amass ( on paper ) some quality players to BP, but for whatever reason has failed to achieve satisfactory results..........where would you lay the blame ?

I was thinking that the solid start for first few months seem so distant

Looking at two teams, the last game before the big freeeze.

So Dale Nov and FEb 2010 teams

I do feel that the current team is just as strong of not stronger

v Dale

Starting line-ups 1 Dean Brill 39 Aidan White 21 Paul Black 6 Reuben Hazell 2 Jean Yves Mvoto 14 Dean Furman 19 Kieran Lee 20 Dale Stephens 18 Chris Taylor 36 Ournare Tounkare 35 Cedric Evina (Kelly 73) Substitutes 41 Neal Trotman 37 Carl Winchester 17 Warren Feeney 11 Jason Jarrett 15 Lewis Alessandra 9 Dean Kelly (Evina 73) 28 Paul Gerrard

v Harlepool 1st Feb w 4-0

16 Ben Amos 6 Reuben Hazell 41 Neal Trotman 39 Aidan White (Feeney 78) 18 Chris Taylor 19 Kieran Lee 20 Dale Stephens 14 Dean Furman 36 Oumare Tounkara (Reid 72) 25 Filipe Morais (Jones 87) 35 Cedric Evina Substitutes 37 Carl Winchester 1 Dean Brill 21 Paul Black 9 Reuben Reid (Tounkara 72) 17 Warren Feeney (White 78) 7 Ritchie Jones (Morais 87) 4 Andrew Todd

It was his team though, even then. which did occur as a thought.

We remember Dickov clearing out the dead wood

the last team of Dave Penneys reign

37 Darryl Flahavan 6 Reuben Hazell 16 Sean Gregan 21 Paul Black 7 Danny Whitaker 18 Chris Taylor 20 Dale Stephens 33 Jim Goodwin 8 Deane Smalley (Millar 66) 9 Pawel Abbott (Eaves 46) 11 Lewis Guy (Brooke 66) Substitutes 1 Dean Brill 4 Jonathan Worthington 12 Kelvin Lomax 22 Ryan Brooke (Guy 66) 27 Kirk Millar (Smalley 66) 29 Djeny Bembo-Leta 38 Tom Eaves (Abbott 46)

I'm on the fence. In a vacuum, in, all day long.

On the other hand, one of the reasons I enjoy supporting Latics is the social side, discussing matches, etc, and reading others' thoughts on here (previously on jklatics), on twitter, on Facebook, in the stands, in the pub before and after matches. On these, I'm finding less and less common ground at the moment, and think a change of manager 'may' ease my blood pressure at reading and hearing the misery people are revelling in spreading. At least for a week or so, until people find another scapegoat at which to vent their disappointment at us not being massive.

Hmmm. On that basis, that's no respite. Still in! Stability might work. Nowt else that is feasible/likely has.

I'm on the fence. In a vacuum, in, all day long.

On the other hand, one of the reasons I enjoy supporting Latics is the social side, discussing matches, etc, and reading others' thoughts on here (previously on jklatics), on twitter, on Facebook, in the stands, in the pub before and after matches. On these, I'm finding less and less common ground at the moment, and think a change of manager 'may' ease my blood pressure at reading and hearing the misery people are revelling in spreading. At least for a week or so, until people find another scapegoat at which to vent their disappointment at us not being massive.

Hmmm. On that basis, that's no respite. Still in! Stability might work. Nowt else that is feasible/likely has.

I can't speak for others, but my disappointment isn't about us not being massive....just our inability to win football matches and to play fairly regularly to our potential.

I take no pleasure in coming to the decision that PD, imo, falls short of what our club needs. I sincerely hope he somehow manages to turn around our fortunes, but if i'm honest.....i doubt it.