Oldham beg their supporters to stop setting fire to rival fans’ hair

Hang on, the article also says that the £10 season ticket is being blamed for this!

That's ridiculous, where does it say that kids under 16 are solely responsible for this and why is a great offer by the club being given as a reason for it?

Agree. If the problem is that a proportion of kids are bastards, then say so, but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't be doing everything we can to get kids in.

I think the statement issued by the club last week could have been phrased much better. The alarmist nature was always going to lead to the wider press picking up on elements of it. I am guessing that there has been one incident of a kid threatening to set fire to another kid's hair and to emphasise it was a little silly. It is something that could as easily have happened on the street or in the playground. The fact it happened while they were at a game was fairly irrelevant.

As for mentioning the £10 season tickets, that's fair enough for me. I am in favour of the promotion but let's not pretend that it hasn't led to a number of parents using it as the cheapest babysitting service in town.There are a large number of kids coming to BP alone who do not know how to behave just as there are a large number who are coming and supporting the club behaving perfectly appropriately. Personally I would rather people think that it is a small number of kids causing the problems rather than believe this is some kind of hardcore hooligan element and that it is not safe to visit BP without the danger of being set on fire. Clearly the article misses the point, however, that it was not away fans suffering.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Hang on, the article also says that the £10 season ticket is being blamed for this!

That's ridiculous, where does it say that kids under 16 are solely responsible for this and why is a great offer by the club being given as a reason for it?

They have to come up with some reason why a human being is capable of this sort of crime,

In this instance nanny has come to the conclusion that a lowlife scumbag who cannot afford a full priced season ticket must be responsible.

Common sense. Blatantly kids

A classic example of issuing a statement that will mean the issue is treated as a joke by many it was aimed at.

I'd wager it will lead to an increase in incidents rather than a decrease.

If it had been dealt with quietly and directly then hardly anyone would be aware, and something so generation-alist

! Statement be avoided.

Given the proportion of kids in the crowd, I am sure more incidents are caused by adults, proportionately!

Not best pleased I have spent hours and hours raising money for disadvantaged kids under 16's in the borough with great help from fellow fans donating both their time to help me and money

How the hell can I expect people to now donate to the Latics for Life scheme to get even more youngsters involved with the club when they are potentially being potrayed as troublemakers by the club itself through its own media sources!

In addition to this I expect that will mean an end to the £10 pricing structure and lower crowds again as the reduction in fees has actually increased both the kids and adults uptake on season tickets i was told when i met with the club

Not best pleased I have spent hours and hours raising money for disadvantaged kids under 16's in the borough with great help from fellow fans donating both their time to help me and money

How the hell can I expect people to now donate to the Latics for Life scheme to get even more youngsters involved with the club when they are potentially being potrayed as troublemakers by the club itself through its own media sources!

In addition to this I expect that will mean an end to the £10 pricing structure and lower crowds again as the reduction in fees has actually increased both the kids and adults uptake on season tickets i was told when i met with the club

I wouldn't worry too much, it's like chinese whispers.

The club put out a statement on it's own website to ask a few idiots to stop behaving badly.

Lazy journalism takes it to the M.E.N. and then the story gets diluted again when some knob from the Metro prints it with all the facts wrong in it.