So after we sacked Talbot, Moore, Sheridan and Penney....

.... and ended up where we are now whats going to change when a new manager comes in?

This isn't a post in support of the current management team necessarily, its about looking at the bigger picture and solving the problem of the fact that we are going nowhere quickly. i've got past the point of caring who is in the dugout.

Whats the point of us sacking another manager bringing another manager in steers us clear of relegation yet 12 months down the line we are having the usual threats of "I won't be renewing my season ticket unless XYZ manager resigns"

Even if by some miracle we find a manager who's success goes beyond new manager bounce eventually that will alert the attention of a bigger club who will take them away and we will be back where we started pretty quickly.

"Fancy coming managing our club we will double your salary Quadruple your budget and you can play infront of 5 times bigger crowds"

"er no thanks I'd rather stay at Oldham they might be building a new stand soon"

I'm not necessarily saying its not Dickov's fault its Corney's but he must be sick to death of having to sack manager after manager and it resulting in us going nowhere.

Swansea and Blackpool have shown us how its done get things right off the pitch and we can start moving forward on it. It starts with the ground do that properly (and not like a Darlington or Coventry) possibly even get some further investment in and we can start moving forwards. We can start attracting a better quality of players and managers, but until then the vicious circle will continue regardless of who's in the dugout.

In terms of incoming transfers (48 incoming players - not including renewal of deals such as White and Tonk's two spells etc..) and turnover of players I think Dickov has proved whether we get investment or not we will not improve under him. What we need is someone to get the best out of what we have + 1 more striker and maybe a box to box goalscoring midfieder. That apart we are better (certainly at home) than what we have seen this season…..

The issue we have is that the current manager does not get the best out of what we have, nor do his coaching staff and clipboard boy…..

.... and ended up where we are now whats going to change when a new manager comes in?

This isn't a post in support of the current management team necessarily, its about looking at the bigger picture and solving the problem of the fact that we are going nowhere quickly. i've got past the point of caring who is in the dugout.

Whats the point of us sacking another manager bringing another manager in steers us clear of relegation yet 12 months down the line we are having the usual threats of "I won't be renewing my season ticket unless XYZ manager resigns"

In order to find that one manager that is successful and can make us challenge and does help us to get fans back.

Why do you look back at past changes in management? Why should affect the club's ambition? Yes, some past managers have been poor but you have to move on and strive to find the manager that will be good.

Just because you have the " i've got past the point of caring who is in the dugout." opinion now, the club can't.

i agree with every word glossop says. i agree dickov isnt performing, but unless the club can get a billy davies/odriscoll/holloway etc, someone with proven experience and is clearly a better option than dickov, i wouldnt replace him with any old random manager, like penney/talbot etc. im not saying we are in a position to get these managers, im just using them as outstanding examples.

i would hate to end up with alan knill, les parry or gary simpson, which is far more likely than landing paul jewell

If it happens at all, it'll be years, before we get things right off the pitch - are we supposed to just accept mediocrity from the players and management in the interim?

If so, we might as well just fold the club up now...

It must be the easiest gig in the world to play for Latics - turn up, take the cash and you don't need to try very hard because the club infrastructure is p**s poor so there's no expectation.

All we can do is make the best decisions that are within our control. If it means sacking the manager because he plays stupid tactics that arn't getting results, then so be it.

its not as simple as sacking a manager tho is it. nobody knows his severance terms, but its quite possible sacking him and his staff could cost us all of this seasons fa cup money. if we do this regualrly as is the norm before dickov came, we end up paying out massive sums of money.

Lets give it a bollywood movie star..

http://www.independe...le-8432330.html

:shock:

Wow, I thought the days of horrendously idiotic owners was gone after Michael Knighton put himself then an owner of an Indian restaurant in charge. Obviously not.

As much as I hope for their sakes that Venky's leave, it's kinda satisfying to know that things could be a lot worse.

:shock:

Wow, I thought the days of horrendously idiotic owners was gone after Michael Knighton put himself then an owner of an Indian restaurant in charge. Obviously not.

Knighton was no fool - he very nearly pulled off buying Man U for £12m or so. That wou;dn't have been a bad deal.

its not as simple as sacking a manager tho is it. nobody knows his severance terms, but its quite possible sacking him and his staff could cost us all of this seasons fa cup money. if we do this regualrly as is the norm before dickov came, we end up paying out massive sums of money.

Well if we can't afford to sack the manager, then there's nothing we can do about that either.

But it's too easy to blame poor team performances and poor management decisions on "the bigger picture". The players and, to some extent, the management don't care about the infrastructural problems at the club. All they should be worrying about is playing football.

There is enough talent in the squad we have at the moment to be doing better than we are - to them, off field progress of the club should be irrelevant as it isn't their job to worry about it, especially as the chances are they won't even be here in two years time.

Edited by JoeP

The most worrying thing with Dickov though is his clear lack of faith in the squad he put together. I always thought this was what ultimately ruined Shez and it will do the same for PD.

I dont go every week but I can always guess how we will line up! What is happening to the young players? If they are not good enough then he needs to come out and say it in public instead of praising them, at least it can give them an incentive to work harder if they really want to make it and it will allow the fans to better understand his reluctance to ever change things.

I thought against Donny Mchangama and Smith were clearly completely shattered with at least 20 minutes still to play. He still seemed reluctant to change even though Mchangama for Montano was a straight swap between first team players.

The most worrying thing with Dickov though is his clear lack of faith in the squad he put together. I always thought this was what ultimately ruined Shez and it will do the same for PD.

I dont go every week but I can always guess how we will line up! What is happening to the young players? If they are not good enough then he needs to come out and say it in public instead of praising them, at least it can give them an incentive to work harder if they really want to make it and it will allow the fans to better understand his reluctance to ever change things.

I thought against Donny Mchangama and Smith were clearly completely shattered with at least 20 minutes still to play. He still seemed reluctant to change even though Mchangama for Montano was a straight swap between first team players.

This for me. Every top manager says you cant go through a 50+ game season only using a dozen players as the current day demands mean that they become more liable to injuries. So when the inevitable injuries start mounting up and the 2 game bans for 10 bookings land with Byrne, M'Voto, Furman & Wesolowski he'll be forced to use players who have hardly played, because, due to the attendances, there will be no money for new signings. His omly hope is he somehow masterminds an unlikely win at Forest and draws a plum 4th round tie, but even that might not be enough to convince the board to let him splash any more cash after his record of 48 signings.

In terms of incoming transfers (48 incoming players - not including renewal of deals such as White and Tonk's two spells etc..) and turnover of players I think Dickov has proved whether we get investment or not we will not improve under him. What we need is someone to get the best out of what we have + 1 more striker and maybe a box to box goalscoring midfieder. That apart we are better (certainly at home) than what we have seen this season…..

The issue we have is that the current manager does not get the best out of what we have, nor do his coaching staff and clipboard boy…..

Wesolowski in today's 'Chron..."I am playing in a different role, a bit more defensive". Says it all, really.

Again, from the 'Chron...

"Dickov says former Newcastle prospect, teenage striker Dan Taylor, isn’t yet ready for the first team and hasn’t featured since the home draw with Walsall in August. And despite fan chatter about Carl Winchester, Kirk Millar and Connor Hughes, Dickov is emphatic he won’t hand out starting places by default."

Yet Furman is there by default, week-in, week-out.

I am not convinced that he knows what he is doing.

Knighton was no fool - he very nearly pulled off buying Man U for £12m or so. That wou;dn't have been a bad deal.

Did you know he was manager at Carlisle for 68 games... with a win ratio of 27.94%.

Edited by BP1960

Wesolowski in today's 'Chron..."I am playing in a different role, a bit more defensive". Says it all, really.

Again, from the 'Chron...

"Dickov says former Newcastle prospect, teenage striker Dan Taylor, isn’t yet ready for the first team and hasn’t featured since the home draw with Walsall in August. And despite fan chatter about Carl Winchester, Kirk Millar and Connor Hughes, Dickov is emphatic he won’t hand out starting places by default."

Yet Furman is there by default, week-in, week-out.

I am not convinced that he knows what he is doing.

Think Corney has had at least two opportunities to remove the management this season - after the Coventry and Bournemouth games - but has chosen not to.

Part of that down to the cost - heard that to get rid of Dickov, Taggart and Butler now would cost us over 250k - but also the working relationship between himself and Dickov is very strong and he wants to give him every chance to get the club moving forward.

Been told that there will be two signings soon after the window opens, Michael Johnson on loan for the rest of the season and a Championship striker, possibly permanent.

Think Corney has had at least two opportunities to remove the management this season - after the Coventry and Bournemouth games - but has chosen not to.

Part of that down to the cost - heard that to get rid of Dickov, Taggart and Butler now would cost us over 250k - but also the working relationship between himself and Dickov is very strong and he wants to give him every chance to get the club moving forward.

Been told that there will be two signings soon after the window opens, Michael Johnson on loan for the rest of the season and a Championship striker, possibly permanent.

Johnson would be great in our league. Always has been technically talented but plagued by injury. Only thing I worry about is the fact that our strongest position is Centre Midfield for depth so another player in the same area of the pitch must mean we'll be letting a midfielder leave. It will also block chances for our youngsters, 3 of which are CM fringe players.

I'm sure he'd make us a better player in the short-term but whether it would improve us long-term, it might potentially force some kids out of the door, is the issue really.

At least we're ambitious though, still.

If the Michael Johnson story is true, it's a good move IMHO. Furball will be buggering off to the African Cup of Nations for a month and there's no guarantee we'll be keeping Baxter. There was just about enough at Yeovil to show that Smith and Simpson can form some sort of partnership up front (plus A.N.Other if he turns up) being fed by MJ if Baxter Baby goes.

On iPhone otherwise would post the link.

But - type Michael Johnson Footballer into Google and read the 2nd highest article - not the Wiki page; the article from the Guardian online by Dan Taylor (not ours obviously)

I dont think people should be getting giddy at the prospect of lard-arse pulling on the shirt.

On iPhone otherwise would post the link.

But - type Michael Johnson Footballer into Google and read the 2nd highest article - not the Wiki page; the article from the Guardian online by Dan Taylor (not ours obviously)

I dont think people should be getting giddy at the prospect of lard-arse pulling on the shirt.

Also on iPhone - is this the linky from June 2012?

http://m.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/jun/02/daniel-taylor-michael-johnson