A footballer with morals!

Having read the article about Jose Baxter in the Chron I've got to congratulate the lad for his ethics not like some of the greedy b*****ds we've had in the past and most of the mercenaries in football today.

Well done son and I hope you get a big pay day eventually, you, for one, will deserve it!

The more I think about it, the more I'm impressed with Baxter deciding to show the loyalty he has. Of course he will have signed on improved terms - he deserved that but he was a free agent and, having impressed many over the last 4 months could have gone to a club that paid more and provided better facilities.

He didn't though. He remained true to his word that he wanted to play and enjoy the game. I'd have been shocked but delighted if he'd have stayed to the end of the season, if only to see us remain in this league, before securing his pay day then. That he has also potentially given us a possibility of getting some cash should he leave before 2015 (don't care if he even managed to negotiate a cut himself) marks him as the type of player that I thought was lost to the game.

Perhaps Latics have also found an agent they can do future deals with.

Interestingly, it is Stellar Football Ltd

Pretty sure that is who David Eyres is with.

Here is a list of who else is with them.

Jonathon Grounds is also with he same agent

Sure we have had other less successful signings from them. Maybe Ben Burgess, Darren Byfield, Chris Day, Harry Bun and spring to mind.

Luke Beckett was OK though. Clint was excellent.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/stellar-football-ltd/details/berater_190.html

Maybe we could loan Michael Ngoo from Liverpool!

What we don't know is what Championship clubs made an offer for him.

Could easily be places both a long way from Scouseland where his Dad can't drive him to work everyday and may not have given him a house to live in as opposed to a hotel room.

Bolton and wolves I'm led to believe.

He's also a footballer with a percentage of his future transfer fee sewn up - but yes fair play to him despite what he says he owed us very little and has done us a massive favour by signing a long term deal in addition to the massive 11 goals he has scored. Potentially our biggest fans' favourite since Eyresey....

Didn't Dickov say he was in one ear telling him to stay and Jose's agent was in the other telling him to go. Doesn't sound like he's our best mate if so...

I don't think so? Pretty sure I've read that his agent was telling him to remain open to options; but not telling him to actively leave?

It seems to me that he is a very level-headed young man, with a solid famly behind him. He's also listened to the advice given to from PD and pressumably others too.

I'm so very happy with this signing. Happy and amazed. That said, he really does need his head seeing to; I wouldn't sign for us; and I'm a fan!!!

I don't think so? Pretty sure I've read that his agent was telling him to remain open to options; but not telling him to actively leave?

He’s had a few offers from the Championship and he’s got me in one ear and his agent in the other

Meh, make of it what you will!

Is it only cynical old me who thinks the deal was done a while ago and spun to give a positive boost prior to the Cup game?

Whether it was spun or not doesn’t really make a negative difference. He has been here the last 4months and he is here next week. On the positive side I am sure it provided a great deal of entertainment to many before the game trying to guess what the announcement would be. Our little group had Baxter in the frame but only till the end of the season. Because of this he was discounted, because we didn’t think that was a ‘huge’ enough announcement to be worthy of the drama. I hope him and the club get their just rewards. Corney must surely try and build something around him while he’s here.

Whether it was spun or not doesn’t really make a negative difference. He has been here the last 4months and he is here next week. On the positive side I am sure it provided a great deal of entertainment to many before the game trying to guess what the announcement would be. Our little group had Baxter in the frame but only till the end of the season. Because of this he was discounted, because we didn’t think that was a ‘huge’ enough announcement to be worthy of the drama. I hope him and the club get their just rewards. Corney must surely try and build something around him while he’s here.

I wasn't complaining!

Is it only cynical old me who thinks the deal was done a while ago and spun to give a positive boost prior to the Cup game?

Nope, I agree. For once I think there's been some clever PR from the club here. The downplayed chances of him signing, the timing of the announcement with a feelgood factor generally, the fan-friendly message from Jose. It's all good.

Don't get me wrong. I'm very, very pleased he's signed, he's saying the right things, and most importantly he's backed words with actions and proved a measure of loyalty by signing this deal. That's all credit to Jose.

But I think making him a shining beacon of morality in the festering pit of slurry that is modern football might be overdoing it a bit.