Whatever your opinions of individuals in our defence collectively it is possibly the worst defence I have ever seen at the club!

I dont rate Grounds, I dont rate M'voto (although some do) his fault for Brentfords winner last week although hecant play in a 3 - :censored:in ball watchin again

I cant stand Byrne but at least he opens his mouth! too slow, constant hoof, with one great switch ball every now and then, too slow, more bothered about kickin his man than watchin the ball, too :censored:in slow

I actually like Wabara (others clearly dont) but I think he is learning and has great potential (maybe he needs to be moved on ubtil he fulfills it) Brown wont make any difference and in the long run will prove to be more problematic IMO

Based on today I think the complete opposite.

Grounds didn't get a lot of help from Mellor defensively but broke up play, played the simple pass out most of the time and didn't let many crosses come in from his side. On the defensive side I can only remember Charlton being better at left back than him in recent times. He even does OK going forward.

Byrne and Mvoto were solid and rarely lose headers. Mvoto got the wrong side of Clarke once which led to a booking, apart from that I don't remember him making a mistake. Byrne is obviously slow, but too slow? He only ever gets done for pace when the rest of the defence is stretched but a lot more often than not his positional sense makes up for it. Yes he gets rid of the ball if in doubt but I'd rather that than seeing him trying to overplay. Our defense looks a lot worse when you take Byrne out of it. The only thing that caught out the both of them was the low ball into the box for Elliot's goal, which wouldn't have been a problem if Croft didn't fall over and Wabara didn't let the cross come in.

Wabara didn't have a good game today. 1st half he had a lot of chances to overlap but didn't and he was the most obvious culprit when it came to shirking challenges. He was better going forward in the 2nd half but wasn't effective enough to make up for his defensive misgivings (tackling and positioning especially). He's played better previously and someday he might be good enough for the Championship, but League One is definitely his level for the near future.

Brown's looked good on the occasions I've seen him but not sure that we can rely on him consistently yet, but there's not much between him and Wabara and if in doubt I'd start with our player.

Have to see the highlights to be sure, but think Brown was at RB and Reece further forward for their second. Byrne's fault for a :censored: header anyway.

First goal was his fault though, although the centre backs didn't cover themselves in glory.

Edited by oafcmetty

Have to see the highlights to be sure, but think Brown was at RB and Reece further forward for their second. Byrne's fault for a :censored: header anyway.

First goal was his fault though, although the centre backs didn't cover themselves in glory.

Byrnes header was :censored:e, but Wabara didn't challenge for the second ball. At least Byrne did try and charge the shot down (and was the only one alive to what was happening).

And again as has been mentioned above, Grounds got little help from Mellor (nor does he from Montano or Simpson when they play LW).

Oh to have Chris Taylor back on the left!!

I think it's beyond tactical analysis now - whatever he does, Paul Dickov just can't get it right. We need a manager who can get the best out of the players.

I'm glad some people have confidence that there are "four worse teams in this league than us", because I don't think there are. We will go down if we continue playing the way we are at the moment.

Usually I would be gutted after the kind of defeat we were treated to today - but it wasn't undeserved and no suprise. There have been very, very few occassions this season where we've controlled a game and today was no different. Whoever we play, however we play, the opposition always seem to have the upper hand. There's no luck involved - we just don't have any edge at all.

Blimey, the Liverpool game next week is supposed to be exciting and something to look forward to, but if we win, does that mean Dickov gets immunity from the sack for another month, while the team plunges further towards relegation? It's a horrible situation to be in.

Edited by JoeP

I think it's beyond tactical analysis now - whatever he does, Paul Dickov just can't get it right. We need a manager who can get the best out of the players.

I'm glad some people have confidence that there are "four worse teams in this league than us", because I don't think there are. We will go down if we continue playing the way we are at the moment.

Usually I would be gutted after the kind of defeat we were treated to today - but it wasn't undeserved and no suprise. There have been very, very few occassions this season where we've controlled a game and today was no different. Whoever we play, however we play, the opposition always seem to have the upper hand. There's no luck involved - we just don't have any edge at all.

Blimey, the Liverpool game next week is supposed to be exciting and something to look forward to, but if we win, does that mean Dickov gets immunity from the sack for another month, while the team plunges further towards relegation? It's a horrible situation to be in.

Totally agree.

However, Liverpool will roast Latics alive, next weekend, the only shame is that the game is not being played at Anfield, where the club would have stood to gain more money from the tie.

Excellent post.

my thoughts exactly

Edited by HarryBosch

My Opinion.

Bouzanis is ok.

Wabara is weedy,so I would play one of our young players in his place.

Byrne steady but no world beater.

Mvoto is pretty good at winning the ball but his distribution is woeful.As soon as he passes the ball you know its coming straight back at us.

Grounds I like,thought he played well yesterday.

Mellor looked promising when he first came on the scene,dissapointing yesterday.

Croft hasn't played well for a few weeks.

Simpson,played well at Forest,poor yesterday.

Baxter I thought played okay yesterday,always seems to have time on the ball.Suppose thats the sign of a good player.

M'Changama looks a bit like a headless chicken sometimes,yesterday was one of those times.

Smith did what he's in the team for imo.Won the ball in the air a few times but nobody there for his flick ons.

Taylor got involved when he came on and we looked more of a threat with him and Smith together.

Others.

Sutherland looks promising and so does Brown.

Millar Weedy.

Winchester Weedy.

Wesolowski is missed when he's out of the team.

Furman is ok but I would sooner have Wes.

Montano Weedy.

Tarkowski looks like a could be a good footballer,more skilful than M'voto but needs a bit more coaching.

I've been watching the Latics forty odd years now,never been so dissapointed with them in the league.

Always thought we are a better team when we attack,something we don't seem to do much anymore.

If we are going to go down lets go down fighting.ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK.

The defence will look better if they aren't under the cosh all the match.

Hartlepool, Shrewsbury, Pompey, Colchester.

Plus, Scunthorpe were dreadful.

Colchester have acted by sacking their manager, which could turn their season around.

Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe are capable of picking up points here and there, while I can't see where our next point is going to come from at the moment.

I wouldn't back us to finish above any of these three.

Edited by JoeP

Just don't understand PD ,

When he first arrived the first 6 months were great , played good attacking football and really pressed the opposition in their own half.

Never gave teams a minute and every time we attacked we looked like scoring.

Then we hit a bad spell (as all teams do) and PD reverted to a defensive one with a bit of Penny's mentality.

It now appears we have been stuck with this attitude since.

On occasions (when the pressure is really on PD) we respond with performance like Crewe and Preston.

But that doesn't last long and we are soon back to our cautious ways .

Boring , tactically clueless football that just turns supporters away.

PD just doesn't learn and he may as well go down fighting than playing the boring drivel we are serving up.

Unless we replace then Latics are relegated and once that happens then i am afraid it is Blue square after that.

Look at the teams in that league , all teams we have played in league one at some stage in the not too distant past.

Once down there is no way back so PLEASE SC act now before it is too late.

Big Ronnie Moore has proved at this level you don't need massive squads and big signings to do something.

There are some dreadful teams this season , we will survive I have no concenns on this , but to be in the bottom 6 is a massive underacheivement.

'Tarkowski looks like a could be a good footballer,more skilful than M'voto but needs a bit more coaching'

Gone from first team starter to not even getting on the pitch for a cameo appearance ........I wonder how bad this problem he has had is , his lack of match time is odd to say the least.

From the match report it would appear that we could have won the game with 4 or 5 goals but I'm sure prozac is right.

Having not beaten a team in the top twelve all season is anyone surprised that we lost?

Is anyone surprised that Wabara is playing to keep himself fit for his next move?

Does anyone doubt that he will put himself about against Liverpool because he wants to show how good he can be?

Does it surprise anyone that Mellor played badly for his first start when played out of position?

Why do people keep blaming Grounds when Wabara fails to stop crosses?

Our problem until 8 December, the last league 1 win, was lack of goals. Our problem since 8 December is both lack of goals and a defence which ships two or more goals per game.

As the money from Forest and Liverpool isn't being used to strengthen the team (or to sack PD) the result of 1 point from 21 does appear to be relegation.

Who I'm pretty sure is doing as badly as the last. It's not always the answer.

My mistake - pretty sure they said on the Football League show Dunne had gone after they lost at home to Scunthorpe.

Think he's still there, though, albeit on borrowed time.