Carl Winchester

Just want to make a thread as a tribute to this lad today. Smithy will get a lot of credit for today's performance, and rightly so, he caused Skrtel nothing but hassle but Winchester deserves a big hand.

When he came on for M'Changama I was dreading it, like most probably were, but he came on and played like an experienced, high-quality footballer. The first time I've seen a real fighter in him. His runs down the wing, his cross for Wabara's goal, his tenacity throughout the match. It was a fantastic mature performance in a hostile situation against some very good footballers.

Remember that this lad is 19 years old and has a complete confidence deficit. What a tremendous performance for such an unlikely player.

Absolutely buzzing.

I wasn't that worried when he came on because I think he's decent,but was interested how he was going to fit in as I couldn't see him playing down the the left, which he didn't, He strengthened the midfield to a 3 and we gambled on having no left mid which put an awful amount of pressure on Grounds which he dealt with admirably, however Winchester did wander down the left occasionally and his run and cross for the third goal were sublime!!

I too was dreading it when he came on, as previously he has only shown himself to be weak as a kitten in the tackle.

Against Liverpool he definitely stepped up and made a telling difference - now he has set the standard he needs to produce week in week out.

Good on the lad.

When he came on we were crying out for him to get wider on left hand side to help Grounds in the main stand but 2nd half he was brilliant

Im guessing he was told to play tight, we needed to plug the midfield to stop them walking through. We stiffled that and played down the right... It worked

3 of our younger players I thought came of age yesterday

Matt Smith - Goes without saying

Jonathon Grounds - Rarely got beat given atough run in the 2nd half against Downing but stood upto the task well.

Carl Winchester - Took a little while to get into the game but once he did he didn't look out of place sharing a midfield against Allen and Henderson who cost what £30 million? But to see him turn and spin Sterling one of the best up and coming young players in the country and put in a far post cross with his weaker peg where Warbara rose like a leaping salmon to head home was sublime. Probably the best piece of individual play in the whole game and right out of the Ricky Holden wing play manual.

3 of our younger players I thought came of age yesterday

Jonathon Grounds - Rarely got beat given atough run in the 2nd half against Downing but stood upto the task well.

Bloody hell I was just about to correct you on Grounds being a younger player but didnt know he was only 24 thought he was 27 ish.. Get him signed up as I reckon we could get some money for him one day.

Grounds has barely been mentioned but he was my man of the match yesterday. Smith rightly deserves the plaudits for his performance, as do the rest of the defence, but Grounds deserves recognition for not putting a foot wrong despite being under a lot of pressure and not really having an outlet in front of him for much of the game.

Grounds has barely been mentioned but he was my man of the match yesterday. Smith rightly deserves the plaudits for his performance, as do the rest of the defence, but Grounds deserves recognition for not putting a foot wrong despite being under a lot of pressure and not really having an outlet in front of him for much of the game.

Very true. Once M'changama went off there was nothing in front of him down the left.

Before I get onto young Carl - have to say I agree with that. Smith for me MoM; but closely followed by Grounds. Considering we sacificied the left side of midfield, meaning he basically had to do 2 roles; I thought all bar 1 wayward pass; Grounds had his best game in a Latics shirt by far. Well done JG.

Onto Winchester. I said at the time it was the wrong call to bring him on; I wanted Sutherland on to give us the outlet on the left. But - after taking a bit of time to get into the game - that was more like it from Carl. My main criticism of him has been that he's lacking the physical bulk, and appears too lightweight, I've never question his ability on the ball. Yesterday he became a man and gave a real ward-working and complete performance. The fact he bounced Gerrard off the ball speaks volumes. Great turn, run & cross for the goal too. We needed him to put himeslf about and do the ugly stuff as well as use the ball properly - he did both of those.

On that showing, he should get more games now. And if he takes his chance by playing to the levels he reached yesterday; we'll be on for a healthy fee for him as he will attract intrest if he plays like that more often.

Looked every inch a player destined for better things yesterday. Worked hard to win the ball and, when he had it at his feet, was very composed. He seemed to glide with the ball at times and though I've heard all the stuff about him being virtually impossible to tackle in training, I wasn't expecting to see signs of it yesterday. Getting him to replicate that performance more regularly would, by itself, be one of the biggest arguments in ensuring the future of the youth team.