Oldham Council

Did anyone see this in the Chron yesterday?

Oldham Council leader, Jim McMahon:

'Before this game I didn't really get football. Grown men running round chasing a ball. Now I do. The town has been on TV with millions of people watching.

Oldham Council will do everything it can to make the new stand happen. I will be there for the Everton game.'

Interesting.

If he has had an epiphany about Latics then we shouldn't be sniffy about it, we need the leader of the council to get behind the club properly and help it. By helping the club he can help the town too which in turn helps the club.

We've been shafted by the council before but basking in the glow of the Liverpool victory lets hope this one comes through?

That match affected a lot of people, I got a text from my wife when we were clinging on for the last 10 to say she was "sat here crying". She knows what Latics means to me but they have never reduced her to tears before. I think quite a few people "got latics" on Sunday but not all of them have the ability to have such an effect on the short and long term future of the club. McMahon wears the same colour rosette as I do but I'm cynical about local politicians, he's made noises about helping Latics in the past and I hope that this now moves beyond lip service.

Corney should be on the phone to him offering him a ticket for the Yeovil game, if it is a friend for a £5 he can have my bloody voucher, get him and his council mates into BP and see one of the last few remaining communities in Oldham.

That match affected a lot of people, I got a text from my wife when we were clinging on for the last 10 to say she was "sat here crying". She knows what Latics means to me but they have never reduced her to tears before. I think quite a few people "got latics" on Sunday but not all of them have the ability to have such an effect on the short and long term future of the club. McMahon wears the same colour rosette as I do but I'm cynical about local politicians, he's made noises about helping Latics in the past and I hope that this now moves beyond lip service.

Corney should be on the phone to him offering him a ticket for the Yeovil game, if it is a friend for a £5 he can have my bloody voucher, get him and his council mates into BP and see one of the last few remaining communities in Oldham.

So true - my wife and daughter texting me during the game - friends texting and emailing - a lot of people know just how much the game on Sunday would have meant - it was good to see them so supportive.

The only text I got throughout the game was when the board went up with 6 mins on it from a Ciddee supporting mate, getting his revenge on me by repeating my text to him from when they were leading Yoonited in the FA Cup semi last year. All it said was "Squeaky Bum Time!"

B@st@rd!! :laught30:

Edited by danoafc

Did anyone see this in the Chron yesterday?

Oldham Council leader, Jim McMahon:

'Before this game I didn't really get football. Grown men running round chasing a ball. Now I do. The town has been on TV with millions of people watching.

Oldham Council will do everything it can to make the new stand happen. I will be there for the Everton game.'

Interesting.

About sums up council bods and why the town is a cr*phole , they don't know the value of a football team to the town

along with a cinema , swimming baths and other leisure activities.

Might finally wake them up !!!!!!!!!!!

About sums up council bods and why the town is a cr*phole , they don't know the value of a football team to the town

along with a cinema , swimming baths and other leisure activities.

Might finally wake them up !!!!!!!!!!!

What's happened to swimming baths?

My missus detests anything football, and banishes latics talk in front of her lol!

However when we were clinging on she text me saying how great we'd played and come on Oldham! Never thought I'd hear that!

Edited by Schlieb

Text from the wife after 3 minutes:

"Wow, I can hear you lot in the back garden".

A good mile away.

When we last played Everton in the fifth round - the epic three game thriller in 1990 - there were 19,000 there and you could hear the roar from High Crompton.

My wife couldn't wait for me to get home so we could watch the match together, when Winchester did his Cruyffesque turn on the way to setting up Wabara she said "Lovely bit of skill from Winchester there." A sentence I never thought would come out of my wife's mouth.

Did you ever expect anybody to say it, let alone the wife?

My missus 2nd latics game, 1st was a 1-0 defeat to Carlisle and her response 'I'm never watching football again cos it's boring'. I however persuaded her to go due to Gerrard playing. 1st goal she clapped, 2nd she did a little jump, 3rd she jumped and clapped, final whistle jumping up and down screaming. She's now asking when we can get tickets for 5th round and wants a shirt. Funny old game :)