no more croft

I'd imagine he got a decent severance package to compensate him for the remaining months on his contract. Up to £30k severance is tax free so there's scope for negotiation between club and player to come up with something mutually beneficial in these situations.

So, in theory, he could afford to stay with us on reduced terms, at least until the end of the season.

If the severance is less than or equal to the value of his contract none of it will be tax free.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

unless he signs for us , we re now without 5 of the starting line up from Sunday for differing reasons ......unbelievable.

We've lost Smith and Simpson for a few weeks, could still get Croft back and have made 3 potentially excellent additions.

Although I'm gutted for M'Changama, I don't think there's too much to worry about....

Edited by JoeP

The lack of activity or news on the official site is pretty bad.

And that surprises you Wardie? The official website is wank. And that's being generous. I very rarely look at it anymore 'cos it gives me a headache. It's all over the place. Tend to get all my info on here.

Edited by Break The Silence

He is a free agent and will do what every free agent does and that is find the best deal he can. He is also in no hurray and his agent will want him to find the best deal i.e. not just until the end of this season. This is not good. If he stays with us he will go up in my estimation as a person just as Baxter did.

Typically, there is news everywhere about the Croft saga but nothing on the Latics website. Why can't we be given the facts for once? If we then sign him later, or not, then fine, say so then. Also the Chron says that Smith is out for weeks, at least. Again, I can't recall anything on the official website. In the light of yesterday's loans, the story about Smith seems to be true - so why no information? All we get is twaddle from PD that the cup run, which had earned the club not far short of £500k before the kick off on sunday, had meant that he can't bring anyone in! (All the monies obviously had not actually been received, and costs accrued also, but they were a huge new asset that we could only dream of on new year's eve.) Yesterday's transactions expose PD's statement as either artful or suggesting the club's inability to carry out basic negotiations. How come that suddenly there is a beatific change by other clubs, agents and players to allow our new signings - when we had earned even more money and publicity further to price ourselves out of the market? Let's hope one day we can be run by the fans and not those who'd prefer to live in an Orwellian closed society, where propaganda is the only information and truth.

Anyroad, the signings - which were imperative if we are to avoid relegation - on the back of the £1million cup-run might get us at least a draw with Everton and prevent a return to Div 4 after nearly fifty years. Invest wisely and reap the dividends, and the fans will return - particularly if they are shown respect, openess and trust; and the odd lick of paint (and removal of the water feature) might help improve all our self-respect and pride in the club. The extraordinary reaction in Britain and beyond to sunday's win, not least in Oldham and by the council, bodes well and hopefully will lead soon to a more professionally-run club that will attract the best: players, administrators, sponsors, investors and a wider spectrum of devoted fan, particularly school-kids. This is not pie in the sky; it's time to move away from a reactionary, fatalistic doom-and-gloom view.

Also the Chron says that Smith is out for weeks, at least. Again, I can't recall anything on the official website. In the light of yesterday's loans, the story about Smith seems to be true - so why no information?

Much as it pains me to defend the official website, they did publish a story yesterday about the injuries to Mchangama, Smith and Simpson.

Typically, there is news everywhere about the Croft saga but nothing on the Latics website. Why can't we be given the facts for once? If we then sign him later, or not, then fine, say so then. Also the Chron says that Smith is out for weeks, at least. Again, I can't recall anything on the official website. In the light of yesterday's loans, the story about Smith seems to be true - so why no information? All we get is twaddle from PD that the cup run, which had earned the club not far short of £500k before the kick off on sunday, had meant that he can't bring anyone in! (All the monies obviously had not actually been received, and costs accrued also, but they were a huge new asset that we could only dream of on new year's eve.) Yesterday's transactions expose PD's statement as either artful or suggesting the club's inability to carry out basic negotiations. How come that suddenly there is a beatific change by other clubs, agents and players to allow our new signings - when we had earned even more money and publicity further to price ourselves out of the market? Let's hope one day we can be run by the fans and not those who'd prefer to live in an Orwellian closed society, where propaganda is the only information and truth.

Anyroad, the signings - which were imperative if we are to avoid relegation - on the back of the £1million cup-run might get us at least a draw with Everton and prevent a return to Div 4 after nearly fifty years. Invest wisely and reap the dividends, and the fans will return - particularly if they are shown respect, openess and trust; and the odd lick of paint (and removal of the water feature) might help improve all our self-respect and pride in the club. The extraordinary reaction in Britain and beyond to sunday's win, not least in Oldham and by the council, bodes well and hopefully will lead soon to a more professionally-run club that will attract the best: players, administrators, sponsors, investors and a wider spectrum of devoted fan, particularly school-kids. This is not pie in the sky; it's time to move away from a reactionary, fatalistic doom-and-gloom view.

Sorry but this is mostly nonsense.

There is an update on the OS yesterday regarding the injury position for Changy, Smith & Simpson. You just need to look and read it.

Secondly, crowds are down by around 1,000 a game on last season and that equates to around £250K over the course of the season. On top of this, the club budgeted a loss for the season. This so called wad of cash that has come in will help the club pay a good chunk of the bills and the board on the back of the additional income have given PD the money to bring in the 4 additional signings this week.

As for £1 million from the cup run, lets look at the facts.

Prize Money to date £200K

45% share of net gate receipts v Forest/Liverpool/Everton £200K

TV appearance money V Liverpool/Everton £368K

So roughly £750K before things like the (deserved) bonuses to the palyers and manager and his staff

Less £250k to cover reduced gates, less the budgeted loss, less the extra money for the 4 players this week.

The reality is we will have very little in the pot and probably not even enough to cover the £25K required to replace the gutters to the 3 stands were were pissing the rain out during the match on Sunday.

However, if we beat Everton, I will gladly accept the points you make ^_^

Typically, there is news everywhere about the Croft saga but nothing on the Latics website. Why can't we be given the facts for once? If we then sign him later, or not, then fine, say so then. Also the Chron says that Smith is out for weeks, at least. Again, I can't recall anything on the official website. In the light of yesterday's loans, the story about Smith seems to be true - so why no information? All we get is twaddle from PD that the cup run, which had earned the club not far short of £500k before the kick off on sunday, had meant that he can't bring anyone in!

Sorry, mate, but we as fans do not have a divine right to be told everything that happens at the club, particularly about finances and contracts. It's basically none of our business and the club reserve the right to withhold such information involving an employee. Confidentiality and all that. Unless you would prefer a statement along the lines of "Croft's contract has been cancelled by Derby County. He is now a free agent, but we are having to check on the affect this has on Oldham Athletic Football Club. Sorry we can't be more specific at this time." It would tell us nowt. Once the situation is resolved, a statement will be issued when, and if, the club see fit.

With regards the injuries sustained on Sunday, this has already been answered. Perhaps the site should be checked before making comments in future.

As for the PD comment of no one coming in, this was no doubt true at the time but the injuries forced a change of plan. Possible, rather than "twaddle"

Edited by Bristolatic

Sorry, mate, but we as fans do not have a divine right to be told everything that happens at the club, particularly about finances and contracts. It's basically none of our business and the club reserve the right to withhold such information involving an employee. Confidentiality and all that. Unless you would prefer a statement along the lines of "Croft's contract has been cancelled by Derby County. He is now a free agent, but we are having to check on the affect this has on Oldham Athletic Football Club. Sorry we can't be more specific at this time." It would tell us nowt. Once the situation is resolved, a statement will be issued when, and if, the club see fit.

With regards the injuries sustained on Sunday, this has already been answered. Perhaps the site should be checked before making comments in future.

As for the PD comment of no one coming in, this was no doubt true at the time but the injuries forced a change of plan. Possible, rather than "twaddle"

Sound post - The club adheres to a policy of not commenting on potential signings until they are a done deal - admirable in my book. If and when anything further happens with Croft I am certain that the official site will carry the story.