Liam Watson

I've paid a lot of attention to Southport for about five years now, mainly through a friend.

I've listened to his post-match comments - Southport upload them free on their site - and he's another fresh talking young manager (with lots of experience).

His football is, well, incredibly direct - wouldn't suit our supporters.

Seriously I have backed Corney all the way but if we make a move like this it will be a :censored:ing disgrace!

If you are the fan you say you are Simon, back the :censored:ing club!

Because he's in non league doesn't mean he shouldn't ever manage a league club, he may turn out to be another Martin O'Neil or on the other side of the coin a Dave Penney, but no one will know if he never gets a chance.

Who's knows, the Latics might be in the Conference in a couple of years time and he might be managing in League One, stranger things have happened in football.

Edited by BP1960

Whilst I agree with you BP1960 my worry is this aint the time to be messing about

If we stay up and had an interim and appoint someone like this start next season I wouldnt be too worried as if it didnt go well we could replace him and get ourselves out of a hole so to speak

But with only 16 games to go and already in trouble it needs to be someone who can make an immediate impact. Every new manager is a risk as we have no idea how it will go but this would be a huge risk especially when someone who knows the club and has worked with Corney wants the job and has made a sucess here previously

If Dowie wants it give it him if we can afford him. Dowie knows the club so surely he wouldnt have applied with unrealistic salary expectations so that cant be the issue

Seriously I have backed Corney all the way but if we make a move like this it will be a :censored:ing disgrace!

If you are the fan you say you are Simon, back the :censored:ing club!

I really find that reaction bizarre.

The enthusiasm for Dowie appears to be based on his time here - did OK but so he shoudl have done with the budget he had. His managerial career has hardly been one of unremitting succes since then being largely a mixture of legal disputes and relegations. Why is that better than someone who has done well at a lower level?

The enthusiasm for Dowie appears to be based on his time here - did OK but so he shoudl have done with the budget he had. His managerial career has hardly been one of unremitting succes since then being largely a mixture of legal disputes and relegations. Why is that better than someone who has done well at a lower level?

He took over Palace in December 2003. They were 19th at the time. They got promoted. I'd say that was pretty impressive. Two months earlier we might have gone up.

He took over Palace in December 2003. They were 19th at the time. They got promoted. I'd say that was pretty impressive. Two months earlier we might have gone up.

Ten years ago; not an unmitigated success since then. I'm far from anti-Dowie and as I was much closer to events in 2003 than I am now and had some insight into what went on I was always very firmly of the opinion that the stick he got for moving on was totally misplaced.

But why that translates into a view that a manager (any manger) from non-league would be a ridiculous choice just baffles me. After all, it's about the only route we haven't gone down in the last decade and none of the others have worked.

We need a manager with football league experience right now, not an unknown lad who only has experience at non league.

It really ain't that bizarre!

We need a manager with football league experience right now, not an unknown lad who only has experience at non league.

My personal preference is for someone who will shake this lot out of their lethargy...I don't care where he comes from.

He has 10 years of experience - and if you watch non-league at his level it really isn't much different to league 1. That marks him to me as a young manager who has served his time and who has earned the chance to step up and appears to be ambitious to do so.

I'm not particualrly supporting him but I am keeping an open mind