Who stays and who goes?

For the purpose of this exercise I'm going to assume that Gezza, TP, Muzza and Byrney have performed minor miracles and kept us in the division come May and that the long running saga of the new gaffer is about to be resolved!

Does anyone know exactly how many players are out of contract and which ones would you like to see accept an extension?

Cisak, Furman, Croft, Simmo, Murray, M'Voto, Smith (not sure on these last two) I think are out of contract in the summer. Of these, I'd like to see Croft, Murray (player coach role under Dowie if the rumours are to be believed) and M'Voto be given new deals.

I don't think Cisak and Furman see their long term future at a dilapidated, cold League one ground. Simmo has been a waste of space all year and (apart from battering that Coates kid the other week) I don't think Smith has shown enough over the last two seasons to warrant long term investment.

For the purpose of this exercise I'm going to assume that Gezza, TP, Muzza and Byrney have performed minor miracles and kept us in the division come May and that the long running saga of the new gaffer is about to be resolved!

Does anyone know exactly how many players are out of contract and which ones would you like to see accept an extension?

Cisak, Furman, Croft, Simmo, Murray, M'Voto, Smith (not sure on these last two) I think are out of contract in the summer. Of these, I'd like to see Croft, Murray (player coach role under Dowie if the rumours are to be believed) and M'Voto be givSurely TP en new deals.

I don't think Cisak and Furman see their long term future at a dilapidated, cold League one ground. Simmo has been a waste of space all year and (apart from battering that Coates kid the other week) I don't think Smith has shown enough over the last two seasons to warrant long term investment.

Surely TP and Byrney should be Phizza and Byzza?

Having seen the affect of Furman not being in the side during his stint at AFCON we can't hesistate to offer him a new contract, although I do see him attracted bigger clubs after his performances for South Africa.

I'd also offer Smith a new contract, he's on small wages and he's visibly improved exponentially over the past few months, if he continues with that pattern then we could have a good striker.

Unless Simmo does something special over the next 15 games I'd get rid. Not shown enough to warrant his high wages. We all know there is a very good player there but if he can only do it on the big stage then he's no good at Boundary Park.

Cisak would depend on whether Bouzanis stays and Croft I'm still not sure about. Keep M'Changama, too.

I really do believe this team is miles better than our position and I also believe that our poor season is mainly down to Dickov's poor management. If we can retain the core of the team like Wes, Furman, M'Voto, Baxter and have some additions like Barnard, another right-back and a challenge to the wingers then we'll be sorted. Also, Winchester and Mellor will need to step up for me. They're integral as back-ups and hopefully can push to compete for the first team proper.

Edited by NewBlue

Having seen the affect of Furman not being in the side during his stint at AFCON

We beat Liverpool while he was away and Walsall with him on the bench. Before he went to AFCON we were on a losing streak. When was he last in a winning game? Forest?

I believe we have options for a further year on Cisak and Belezika if we want to exercise them.

Grounds, Wesolowski, Montaño and Baxter are under contract.

I'd offer new deals to Bouzanis, Brown (young, can improve), M'voto (pretty decent for this level; not sure how many better replacements are out there), Tarlowski (can improve), Furman (but not break the bank to sign him; I'd accept him moving for compensation), Winchester, Sutherland and Mchangama (all on one year 'prove yourself' deals), and Smith based on recent form.

The rest for me can go: Jacob, Belezika, Hughes, Millar, Taylor and even Mellor. Let other youngsters try instead. I'd also let Simpson and Byrne go and see what else their wages could get us.

Edit - thanks for clarifying. I'd offer to Furman but if it's going to break the bank to keep him I'd let him go. I'd take up the extension on Cisak but sell either him or Bouzanis if we get a very good offer for either. And I'd wait to see how Croft turns out.

Edited by Crusoe

I believe we have options for a further year on Cisak and Belezika if we want to exercise them.

I'd offer new deals to Bouzanis, Brown (young, can improve), M'voto (pretty decent for this level; not sure how many better replacements are out there), Tarlowski (can improve), Furman (but not break the bank to sign him; I'd accept him moving for compensation), Winchester, Sutherland and Mchangama (all on one year 'prove yourself' deals), and Smith based on recent form.

The rest for me can go: Jacob, Belezika, Hughes, Millar, Taylor and even Mellor. Let other youngsters try instead. I'd also let Simpson and Byrne go and see what else their wages could get us.

Furman is out of contract hence can go for free.

But pretty much agree with this although would add sutherland to the release list, however we need to bear in mind that this list could change depending on which division we will be playing in next season.

What's Jacob done to deserve being released? Not overtaken Bouzanis and Cisak by the age of 18? I'd keep him, definitely.

I don't think he's done anything to deserve being released, just wondering about keeping three contracted keepers on the books. If he's cheap, I'd be happy for him to stay. But we've already got Simpson as well. Maybe one of them goes.

Just to be clear, I don't want any player to go - it's not that I think they're useless or would be happy to see them out of work. Just thinking about how far we could stretch the wage budget.

I don't think he's done anything to deserve being released, just wondering about keeping three contracted keepers on the books. If he's cheap, I'd be happy for him to stay. But we've already got Simpson as well. Maybe one of them goes.

Just to be clear, I don't want any player to go - it's not that I think they're useless or would be happy to see them out of work. Just thinking about how far we could stretch the wage budget.

Cisak won't be here next season, not unless the new manager makes him no. 1.

So much depends on what happens between now and April 27. If we stay up I think we get the pick of most of this current bunch but going down would mean that we'd lose the ones we want to keep and have the bulk of the squad for next season being new signings or youth players (although I think Cisak and Furman will be moving on either way).

Cisak won't be here next season, not unless the new manager makes him no. 1.

Agreed, Bouzanis has earned his place this season and Cisak won't want to stay here to risk another season on the bench.

I'm sure that there will be another team in League One that would want to make Cisak their 1st choice 'keeper. If we have Bouzanis with Jacob to back him up then we'll be fine too.

I think Furman will go anyways, like most people are saying. I think he´ll attract good League 1 clubs plus lower level championship clubs in the summer. With him being out of contract, that will be the end of that. Also Cisak won´t spend another season on the bench, if the rumours where true, should have taken 350k for him from Peterborough.

Cisak - offer him a new deal and take the compo when he leaves

Furman - offer him a new deal and hope its enough to keep him

Croft - offer him a new deal but he'll have to take a big cut to what he was on at Derby

Simmo - undecided. He seems like a decent character to have around and if we can convince him that every game is an FA Cup game we'll have a very useful player on our hands, but he's been very poor in the league

Murray - undecided, need more time to assess his influence

M'Voto - offer him a new deal but don't break the bank (I think he's a relatively high earner here)

Smith - offer him another season on the same terms. He's improved with game time won't be on big money

We need to convince Baxter to stay! I know he's under contract but who knows whether he'll see it out? He's the kind of player we can build a team around, and they don't come along very often. Him staying on could also convince the likes of Furman to stay and attract better new signings who.

Edited by bossrocks

Cisak - offer him a new deal and take the compo when he leaves

Furman - offer him a new deal but don't break the bank

Croft - offer him a new deal but he'll have to take a big cut to what he was on at Derby

Simmo - undecided. He seems like a decent character to have around and if we can convince him that every game is an FA Cup game we'll have a very useful player on our hands, but he's been very poor in the league

Murray - undecided, need more time to assess his influence

M'Voto - offer him a new deal but don't break the bank (I think he's a relatively high earner here)

Smith - offer him another season on the same terms. He's improved with game time won't be on big money

We need to convince Baxter to stay! I know he's under contract but who knows whether he'll see it out? He's the kind of player we can build a team around, and they don't come along very often. Him staying on could also convince the likes of Furman to stay and attract better new signings who.

Cisak will be 24 by the time his contract expires, therefore no compensation.

Cisak will be 24 in May, but I believe we have an option to extend his contract by another year (I think I read it in the Chron towards the start of the season). I don't know if he has to agree it, or we can invoke it unilaterally.

If we do, I imagine we'd invoke it, then sell him.