Matt Smith - new contract

Matt Smith  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Would you offer Matt Smith a new contract?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If so, how long would you offer?

• 1 year
    • 2 years
    • 3 years
    • 4 years
    • 5 years
    • N/A - would not offer him a contract

He has skills many in the Premiership would die for and is a delight to watch in full flight, he also scores goals for fun from midfield and would do so against any opposition,

However, I have always been concerned about his fitness levels in the past and on top of that he's now recovering from an injury lay off of over 6 months.

Class is class though and the feeling is once he's in league football the sky's the limit.

Watched him when I watched Droylsden weekly a few seasons back.

Tremendous talent. Could score screamers that no keeper would save and almost single handedly carried the team.

Always scored when it mattered and you could see the lad had heaps of class and ability.

I would be tempted to give him a trial or a contract on low wages like Smith got. No doubt he has talent that exceeds Smith.

Shame that he got an injury when he did, just starting off at a new club, although I was surprised he wasn't snapped up by a higher league club having heared loads of clubs supposedly interested in him.

Is there any way we can bring this to the attention of the club and also how long does his contract run, presuming that it ends at the end of this season we could get him on a free?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that during his lay off he attempted a comeback and got injured after coming on as a sub, or something along those lines. It sounds as though he is showing his ability now that he's playing though, which can only be good!

I'm not sure if he has a long standing injury problem or not, maybe that's what's held league clubs back as the rigours of full time football are more strenuous than those in part time.

Last season he was too nice. This season he's an in-yer-face nasty bastard. Still can't hit a cows arse with a banjo when given about a minute in the box to think about it and put it in.

3 year contract for me. Get him chained down.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

I'm sure Latic's must have seen Gardner, he stands out in games like a sore thumb, perhaps they weren't convinced about whether he had the muscle or fitness levels to succeed at a higher level, but he's now a strapping 6' 1" and no one but no one can stop him in full flight when surging from deep midfield.

As you say he has a cannonball of a shot, nearest I have seen to him on that score is Gareth Bale.

Even though about 80% fit after his long lay off he took Conference side Dartford apart in the F.A trophy recently, his 2nd goal a typical 25 yard swerving screamer.

Football is all about opinions and who would have thought several Rochdale players would now be playing in the Premiership when Latics on their doorstep could have bought them for peanuts a few years ago.

Of the 2 at Droylsden I would definately have taken Gardner before Matt Smith, it shows we can't be right all the time.

Edited by BP1960

I am one of Smith's biggest critics, but if he can keep improving, being nasty and using his size and strength to his advantage he is worth another year.

I am still to be convinced he should be leading the line week in week out if we want to see the team moving up the league. He is more than worthy of his place in the squad though. I think we have a much stronger attacking line up now we have Iwelumo and Barnard added too. Plenty of options.

I know Iwelumo is not popular but I would be happy if we could go into next season with Baxter, Barnard, Smith and Iwelumo as our forwards.

In twenty years time we'll all remember him with iconic status for what he has done over the past month. That alone merits a two year deal - and I doubt we'll be blowing a fortune on him, his goals have paid for a two year deal many many many times over.

When I buy a Latics jersey, I haven't had a name and number put on one since Richie's playing days. But I'm going to buy a home jersey with Smith's name and number on it as his goals have been the best boost we've had in years.

I know it has been an incredible team effort all the way - but that header and strength on 94th minute... Glorious.

Let's see that form transformed in the league too, and keep us the hell away from league two.

Its amazing what he has done in the last 2 cup games against premiership teams

but lets not forget he has been average at best this season and hasnt scored as many goals in the league as he has in the cup

The league is our bread and butter! the cup run is amazing and he has been uplayable at times

Give him a 2 year deal and hope he keeps improving, its may be a stupid thing to say but he has 15 league games now to earn a deal

He needs to replicate his performances in the box starting Tuesday night onwards against league 1 defenders not gainst seasoned internationtials he are obviously not fit top lace his new purple warrior boots :laught30:

Well done Matt Smith keep it going lad!

He has to be offered a deal fairly soon because the richer clubs will be happy to take a punt on him and will be able to pay more. He will only stay with us if his loyalty to Latics is greater than his agents greed.

The reason why he will go from strength to strength, and I have wanted him to play up front in a striking partnership, Derbyshire would have been ideal, with Jose Baxter Baby at the top of a diamond midfield, is that he is a bright lad who will understand and follow instructions.

I'd offer him a contract, two year deal with various incremental clauses based on future improvement. As i've always said, there's a player in there - I was worried for a time but Dickov's backroom staff being shown the door, was the best thing that could happen for his development. TP coming in has taught him how to play that out and out #9 role, and added controlled aggression to his game. There's going to be a long queue for his services in the summer, not just on the back of his cup heroics but simply because clubs are willing to take a chance on potential and that is one thing he has in abundance.

Smithy is an asset and I hope Mr. Corney is pro-active in attempting to tie him down to a new deal. I'm sick of waiting until the last minute to offer deals, as inevitably we wind up at the back of a queue for the services of a player, that was ours all along….

TP coming in has taught him how to play that out and out #9 role, and added controlled aggression to his game.

To be fair, I think he was showing that before TP was given the job temporarily. There's a clear difference to him this season, and he's added that bit of bulk he was missing last season.

He should have a starting place for me. The percentage of headers he wins is huge and someone like Barnard sniffing around behind anticipating the flick ons would see us looking a very dangerous outfit up front. That said, having the choice of strikers with Iwulemo is a nice problem to have.

I spent the majority of the Coventry game shaking my head at why we were percivering with Smith up front, the way we were playing didnt suit his style but I did say that he could be great with the right type of service. Pinning a team in the 18yard box will always make him a presence that will scare most defenders and goalkeepers. Id offer him 1 more year to see if this has given him the confidence boost to go out and really prove me wrong. Not 100% convinced he will make it but you cant deny there is something there.

I was, and still am to an extent, one of the ones on here that were critical of him; and sceptical of whether he'd be able to make the step up.

It centered mainly on the fact that for a lad of 6ft6", he didnt appear to be able to time his jump and often got beaten in the air by smaller players. He also really didnt impose himself on games; off the bench he had little impact save for the odd Scunthorpe aways thrown in. For his size; he was just too nice. He needed to get meaner and show some aggresion. He wasnt doing and he looked poor as a result.

I'll admit tactics werent helping either - if you've got a lump, then at least set up to use him properly; but we werent doing that. Ball at his feet and he looks non-league; heck - worse than that. But - if he could work on getting tougher, meaner and more aggressive (but with control; not just a thug) - and if we then used him properly, i did say he might; just might stand a chance.

He's worked at his game, and we're now using him properly; the result being he now looks like a league player. I saw the change vs Swindon, when he came on and clattered into Darren Ward - who up until that point, was having as easy an afternoons work as he'd ever had.

With lots more work, and with a development keeping pace with what we've seen; he'd be worth draughting upna 2 year contract for. 18months into his 2 year deal; he's starting to look the part now. So; by that token; January transfer window time in his last year of the next deal - we'll be bracing ourselves for big bids fkr him!!

Not got my spoon ready for the serving of the humble pie yet, but he does deserve credit for the last 6-8 weeks worth of performances; and his FA Cup goals have been vital