What a result !

Great win tonight. Cant help but think TP has a better dress room aura than PD. However, we cant forget that TP distanced himself from the first team job not long ago and i think he has a real passion for coaching the youth team which i would really not like to lose. I hope he stays at the helm until the end of the season, then we get someone else in who is similar and willing to work closely with TP and the youth team and allow TP to go back to looking after the young uns. I get the feeling that the transition from the youth squad to the first/reserve team is a bit rocky so it would be nice if that could be sorted at the same time.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While TP is doing a good job - would our long term future be better by keeping him with the youths?

The last thing we want is a new manager bringing with him a multitude of back room staff leaving TP, PG and the others redundant..

SC must ensure that doesn't happen.

Edited by BP1960

Just got back:

Was very surprised at the starting line-up and the first half performance was pretty poor although we went close twice. I don't know what TP's thinking is but he must have faith in the squad!

Second half was much, much better with Wes coming on to add some bite in midfield. Crofty put in his usual shift and found loads of space on the right and Smith started to win more in the air. Barnard again impressed with his unselfish work and movement and it would have been great if he had tucked away his chance in injury time (it was a horrible miss!)

Wes was holding his hamstring and stretching just before going off so hopefully per-emptive and not actual damage.

Overall, "interesting" selection, poor start but sorted things out and turned it around to win very comfortably in the end

Tonight was a further reminder that this squad should be nowhere near bottom four

Onwards and upwards

While TP is doing a good job - would our long term future be better by keeping him with the youths?

I'm sure the youth system is in good and trusted hands, even if it is still overseen by TP currently.

TP keeping the role until the end of the season is ideal for the club, even more so if he keeps us up (i 100% think he would do) - it would then allow a new man to be brought in and for him to bring in his own assistant and players.

However, there does need to be consistancy within a club, TP remaining with the youths is a given, Gerrard should stay as a GK coach and i believe that Murray and Byrne should stay as well, not even giving the new man the option - they could prove vital in coaching and also playing too (particularly Byrne)

That consistancy can then help us to gain stability and also progression in the league, managers talk about about a 2/3/4 year plan - this is what we need, a manager that wants a project, to bring youth players through and intergrate them into a team of experienced professionals along with ex-youth players too.

Follow this philosophy and i believe we are on our way to building up some success in the next few years.

But, i'll repeat from earlier that i believe that Dowie is the only man who can achieve this, good relations with current coaching staff proving vital.

The problem is new managers often bring in their own men, and my concern is some doing a good job now may be pushed out,

SC has to stamp his authority with it i guess, rather than giving a manager free reign.

Could backfire though, many might be put off by what they see as chairman interferance.

The new man would need to bring in an assistant too, so it wouldn't be too bad, no need for a fitness coach because we know that just goes tits up, eg. Paul 'Lets slag fitness off in a national paper' Butler.

TP is a legend but Winchester in centre midfield smacked of a youth team experiment - and it didn't work in spectacular fashion. We just totally lost the midfield battle in the first half.

Having said that, TP's solution of getting the midfield back via Wes was cleverer than throwing someone else up front, which was Dickov's favourite trick.

Wes didn't run off by the way. It might have looked that way to Gordon but one man's running is another man's ambling.

Rivals robbie for glass man that lad. On a more positive note are squad is looking particularly impressive.

Hardly the same thing your arm falling off 4 times and getting hurt by kicking people as just getting a twinge from walking across the street?

I do think it was a precaution, he didn't seem that bad. Must be a doubt for the weekend but I guess done with a view to Everton.

TP is a legend but Winchester in centre midfield smacked of a youth team experiment - and it didn't work in spectacular fashion. We just totally lost the midfield battle in the first half.

Having said that, TP's solution of getting the midfield back via Wes was cleverer than throwing someone else up front, which was Dickov's favourite trick.

Wes didn't run off by the way. It might have looked that way to Gordon but one man's running is another man's ambling.

What we dont know is that Wes maybe have carrying a knock and would only use if him if necessary.

Also agree it would be silly at this point in time to bring in an external manager, especially considering our future in this division is still uncertain.

However, if TP is asked to do the job until the end of the season, I would like to see some of the cup money used to bring in some help for TP until then so he is having to juggle slightly less jobs.

Hardly the same thing your arm falling off 4 times and getting hurt by kicking people as just getting a twinge from walking across the street?

I do think it was a precaution, he didn't seem that bad. Must be a doubt for the weekend but I guess done with a view to Everton.

Sure he's had numerous hamstrings injuries too?

Also agree it would be silly at this point in time to bring in an external manager, especially considering our future in this division is still uncertain.

However, if TP is asked to do the job until the end of the season, I would like to see some of the cup money used to bring in some help for TP until then so he is having to juggle slightly less jobs.

Stitch is local, loves the club and doesn't have a full time job. He has stated he doesn't want to come back in to management but would he step in to help short term? Great publicity for him and the club. Maybe bring a few more in through the turnstiles.

Stitch is local, loves the club and doesn't have a full time job. He has stated he doesn't want to come back in to management but would he step in to help short term? Great publicity for him and the club. Maybe bring a few more in through the turnstiles.

Would have stitch in to assist TP in a coaching capacity until the end of the season, but not in the hotseat, or even as number 2.

I would try everything to talk TP into taking it (only until the end of the season) which isnt far away as im sure the youth season ends a few weeks before the 1st team

If he keeps us up give him a juicy bouns, the thing which most impressed me last night is he can see that something isnt going right and had the balls to change it

We seem already to be fitter and the players are playing for him

If we appoint a new manager you might not get the above and might not use TP youth team anyway

I would imagine he is a cheap option as well which SC will love until the end of the season

Lets make no mistake about it with the right tatics and motivation this squad should be challenging for top half maybe something like 12-15 place not in a relegation scrap but this is the postion we find ourselves in

No one should get a place in this team if it aint deserved and TP by changing things round hopefully will keep players on their toes and motivated

If we cant talk him into it until May then it has to be Dowie surely? It becomes a much more attractive job in the summer starting a fresh with a whole season to work his magic and perhaps a bigger wage budget then he would have expected when the job was 1st offered to him

Lets not get ahead of ourselves we are far from safe and Pompey imo is the biggest game of the season so far, its must win as the teams around us bar Preston have winnable games as well

Massive 3 points for us, but the potential 3 points on Saturday are just or if not more important, TP and the make shift back room staff are doing fantastic, but it is clear TP doesn't want the job on full term basis, I'm sure the club will do the right thing and let him resume his usual role once the new manager comes to club..

As for the people throwing Dowie name in to the mix, there's nothing more i would like to see than Dowie at the helm of the ship but I seriously doubt he will be giving up is job at Sky Sports to manage us.

It's either Phil Brown or god forbid it Sammy :censored:ing Lee

I still think Dowie will be here very soon........if him and Corney were so far apart in financial terms talks would never have started in the 1st place....I think the stumbling block is more liable to be budget related and/or length of contract. It could even be his contractual commitments to Sky which is holding back the appointment.

The fact that interviews haven't even started makes me think a deal has already been agreed.

This little cup run will have given Corney food for thought and although he won't throw the lot at Dowie he might now be in a better bargaining position.

If Dowie wanted an unlimited budget he wouldn't be considering lickle Oldham in the first place.

My money is on Dowie.....and before the Everton replay!

That really was the proverbial game of two halves. Although we missed a couple of clear chance in the first we could have had no complaint if they'd been out of sight. Complete change around after half time and bar the usual wobbles when there is only a slender margin they really could not moan at the result.

Set up a structure like Crewe with Tony having the Dario Gradi type role. At this level players are developing until 23 at least and the transition from youth to first team needs careful handling. There has been an obvious disconnect under PD. For instance if the youths are having success overloading the box why aren't first team trying it ,pride?!!!