Friendly with Eintracht Frankfurt ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given how Frankfurt attract around 30,000 fans to home games, how many roughly are aware of the link between us as clubs? is it just a gang of about 6 or 7 Germans or is it widely know over there? It always strikes me as massively gimmicky, having a bond with a foreign team.

As for pre-season friendlies, over the course of 20 years we've only really had Ibiza as anything remotely exotic for PSF's. It's always rankled me when you see :censored: like Aldershot nipping out to Belgium for a 3 game tour. God, we're cheap bastards.

Can somebody please explain where the connection with Eintracht Frankfurt stems from?

I think oafcBob is your man with this although from what I believe it stems from a group of Oldham fans and a group of Eintracht frankfurt fans meeting up in 1983 over an international football tournament and keeping in touch.

Given how Frankfurt attract around 30,000 fans to home games, how many roughly are aware of the link between us as clubs? is it just a gang of about 6 or 7 Germans or is it widely know over there? It always strikes me as massively gimmicky, having a bond with a foreign team.

As for pre-season friendlies, over the course of 20 years we've only really had Ibiza as anything remotely exotic for PSF's. It's always rankled me when you see :censored: like Aldershot nipping out to Belgium for a 3 game tour. God, we're cheap bastards.

Alot more six think there is about 15-20 coming over. I went over in December and they looked after us. Quite a few pubs had OAFC memorabilia on there walls. Mixture of young and older lads come over. Frankfurt themselves went out there way at the club to accomodate us.

Gimmick i think not.

Coincidentally I went on a German exchange to Frankfurt and went to a game with my friend, returned the favour taking him to Boundary Park when he was back over. I've had a soft spot for them ever since. Not seen the new stadium, the game I went to was at the Waldstadion, was a great day - the train out there was bouncing and the atmosphere at the game was brilliant. At that time they had Jay Jay Okocha & Tony Yeboah playing for them. Hopefully he has the same affection for Oldham, I can't remember but I think were in the top flight then, or maybe just been relegated.

Alot more six think there is about 15-20 coming over. I went over in December and they looked after us. Quite a few pubs had OAFC memorabilia on there walls. Mixture of young and older lads come over. Frankfurt themselves went out there way at the club to accomodate us.

Gimmick i think not.

Otherwise known as 0.06% of their fans know who the :censored: we are!

in 1982 there was a football supporters tournament in paris ,with about 15 teams all over europe ,we got to the final v eintracht frankfurt bochum branch and at full time it was 0-0 and it went to penalties ,we lost 1-0 (dave shaw missed the penalty ) after the game we all went to a party in the place we stayed at ,thats how we got to know the eintracht fans ,and colin shaw kept in touch with them after and one of them came over for his wedding , and colin was flying over to frankfurt to watch them play ,but colin sadly died at the airport in the uk (rest in peace colin) ..225218_10151552699512018_1318641830_n.jpg

Edited by boboafc