PRESS CONFERENCE AND INVITATION TO THE CLUB.

You know, the more I think about this the more I think this meeting is going to be a waste of time. Lee Johnson is an unfortunate pawn in all this, it's not his fault and I bear him no ill will whatsoever, I hope he succeeds but yet again it reeks of a cheap, short-term appointment.

There's zero vision in our boardroom to move the club forward and there hasn't been for a number of years. It's the short-termism that's killing the club, not the choice of manager, not the fans walking away, not the knocking down of the Lookers Stand the new guy is on a hiding to nothing. There's no vision to drive this club forward, all we get are excuses. Even :censored:ing Rochdale, Bury, Stockport County have had more success than us in the last 20 years.

Times were bad under Stott and Brierley, but the last 5 years have seen the club at it's lowest ebb ever in the time i've been a Latics fan, not only in league position but the club has become a joke again, just like it was in the mid-80s the club holds very little credibility in the town once again. You know with the cup run I thought we were on the up again, a chance to keep the momentum and good feeling going. Nope, this appointment has blown that away again. All it's done is piss the majority of the fanbase off.

As I say it's in no way Lee Johnson's fault, he just applied for another job like we all do from time to time. I hope to God he's aware of what he's letting himself in for as he's going to be held out to dry, with every excuse in the book levelled from the boardroom should this go as quickly tits up as I think it may….

Welcome to Boundary Park Lee…...

Spot on!!!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you could always go and buy a 2nd hand BMW, there are always good deals out there if you negotiate the right deal :deal2:

Yep, and I would think that the management are hoping that the decision that they make will achieve exactly that, without spending money that they dont have.

Please get your names in by 10.00pm.

Barry, please can you post on here when the 10-12 have been picked. I have to be up at 5.30am and don't wanna wait up waiting for a PM or whatever if I haven't been selected.

Sure whoever turns up will be respectful to Johnson. Probably echoing other people's sentiments on here but he's done nothing wrong and is probably a decent bloke.

The fact that it's an unreal appointment at the oddest time isn't a reflection on him and I'm pretty sure even those most opposed don't have any animosity towards him personally.

SINGE. Whilst I cannot reply to everyone you should also be aware that my colleagues on the Board like myself have had vast experience at interviewing in this post and in other jobs.

I have chaired interviews that have been carried over a 5 day process and can assure you that the process at Oldham is exhaustive.

You are wrong to conclude as you do and can assure you that a number of applicant have been required to carry out a number of interviews during the process.Some of the journeymen I can assure you were not used to the process.

Barry

Barry, It was not a direct attack on yours or the board interviewing experience per se. It was pointing out that at this juncture in our history it is pretty clear what type of manager we need. And experience surely needs to be utmost on the list not a good interview.

I feel we have done the rookie manager route. Both with PD and John Sheridan.

We have done the experience with one team with Penney and Talbot. The lesson there was one hit wonder with money and more experience.

The one appointment that nearly worked and Simon has said he regretted was that of Ronnie Moore

SC has publicly stated he will listen to the fans, and is aware this is the most critical appointment in his time here, and has to give a good interview. I agree but do not put so much emphasis on the interview. I just fail to see how Lee Johnson can meet any of the criteria other than giving a good interview(s). And am disappointed that SC has reneged on that promise to listen to the fans.

Al the signs were for an experienced manager with a record of promotion.

I would have even been more happy with Sammy Lee ( that is saying something) or a non league manager with a limited success. Or even Phil Brown.

But most importantly I hope it works out and am not going to snipe from the sidelines.

I still will support the manager, you and Simon Corney.

I am just baffled by the decision.

they got brand new last time though, sometimes tried and tested is best especially when in the bottom 4

I will give the new man my full backing as I always have done, I have been a SC defender over the last few months but unless he gets lucky with this appointment and his track record with appointing manager shows that any success will be luck then how can anyone defend him?

You know, the more I think about this the more I think this meeting is going to be a waste of time. Lee Johnson is an unfortunate pawn in all this, it's not his fault and I bear him no ill will whatsoever, I hope he succeeds but yet again it reeks of a cheap, short-term appointment.

There's zero vision in our boardroom to move the club forward and there hasn't been for a number of years. It's the short-termism that's killing the club, not the choice of manager, not the fans walking away, not the knocking down of the Lookers Stand the new guy is on a hiding to nothing. There's no vision to drive this club forward, all we get are excuses. Even :censored:ing Rochdale, Bury, Stockport County have had more success than us in the last 20 years.

Times were bad under Stott and Brierley, but the last 5 years have seen the club at it's lowest ebb ever in the time i've been a Latics fan, not only in league position but the club has become a joke again, just like it was in the mid-80s the club holds very little credibility in the town once again. You know with the cup run I thought we were on the up again, a chance to keep the momentum and good feeling going. Nope, this appointment has blown that away again. All it's done is piss the majority of the fanbase off.

As I say it's in no way Lee Johnson's fault, he just applied for another job like we all do from time to time. I hope to God he's aware of what he's letting himself in for as he's going to be held out to dry, with every excuse in the book levelled from the boardroom should this go as quickly tits up as I think it may….

Welcome to Boundary Park Lee…...

Of course he's not to blame. He applied for a job, probably with little expectation of getting it. He wants a crack at management and so he'd be a fool not to take it.

The issue is that the club is in a very immediately perilous position and has a handful of games to drag its arse out of the relegation zone, with a bunch of players with questionable morale/attitude/motivation at its disposal. The on-the-pitch 'leader' has jumped ship.

Given the situation, it's abundantly clear to the fans that an experienced man offers our best chance of survival. We've seen a huge sum of unbudgeted income come into the club over the past few months, which would have offered the scope to match the job to the best possible candidate.

However, we've gone for a cheap option in the Dickov-mould. It's nothing against Johnson that I have no faith in a rookie to get us clear of the relegation zone.

I'm now resigned to League Two football next season.

Sure whoever turns up will be respectful to Johnson. Probably echoing other people's sentiments on here but he's done nothing wrong and is probably a decent bloke.

The fact that it's an unreal appointment at the oddest time isn't a reflection on him and I'm pretty sure even those most opposed don't have any animosity towards him personally.

Exactly LTB, no blame atoned to LG in all this, even if we go down. I will blame Dickov for his incompetence and Simon Corney for waiting far too long to get rid, he should have been fired off in the Autumn. We could all see this situation panning out. In pre-season when the squad was being assembled we looked criminally short, despite additions they've mainly been panic loan signings that have no affinity to the club, added to a squad on short-term deals that simply don't give a toss as 80% of them will be gone again in the summer and the whole damn merry-go-round starts again. The difference this time is that it will be in League Two.

Edited by oafcprozac

I've had two long conversations with Simon recently i've kept quiet about what was discussed and mostly learnt nothing new really except how greedy players and agents are, nothing that isn't in the public domain somehwere.

Tbh I was caught on the hop a little, in the tranquility of a boardroom I won't be and will be prepared with suitable questions if I get the chance.

Tomorrow seems to be about the new manager, i'm interested to see how the club justifies such a left-field appointment in a time of crisis.

I'm more assured now we have you there mate. If you could squeeze in the following -

1. What are Lee's objectives for this season and next?

2. Has he been given commitments from Corney on squad strengthening to deliver on 1?

3. What is his style of play? Wingers? Two up front? Creative midfield or battlers?

4. Is he expecting on keeping Baxter for whole of next season?

5. Will he be playing this season?

6. If not confirmed tomorrow, who is he bringing into his management team and if no names possible, will they be similar to Lee - still paying or just retired - or a seasoned assistant?

7. Is he investing into the club?

With regards to the unbudgeted income, a large sum of it went on Barnard and Iwelumo. Some has repaid loans taken out on the back of the promise of prize/TV Money I believe and the rest will cover costs so it's more or less gone. The players also had a good do out of our progress too. You wouldn't believe….

So we're :censored:ed…..

The following names came out of the hat.

Please PM me with your full names for security purposes :

1. Lukers 1

2. Wizzo 83

3. Prozac

4. oafctom

5. Opnion4u

6.Eyres_28

7. dish

8. carol

9. Doctor Worm

10. C.D's Orange Heel

11. Emcee

12 Parisian

Done this has fairly as I could with time available. For the disappointed ones I will try and arrange a forum asap with all offficials in attendance.

For the above 12 please report at Main Entrace and you will be show into the Board Room. See you then

Barry

Barry - who will be attending this from the club?

Just so those who can't attend or wasn't chosen can pose Qs to those attending.

I don't want to detract from welcoming Lee and asking Qs about ON the pitch but surely the club recognises that in light of the feeling on here and fans in general, this is too good an opportunity to turn down to not question the board too and deflect feeling from Lee as hes unfairly be placed in the spotlight.

In regard to questions, he will have only had the job 2 hours so he wont know about Baxter and other players contracts for those asking

he will know about money and what promises have been made

his aim will be to stay up and build on that for next season

there is no point in asking those sort of questions they need to be totally relevant to the situation

who his staff is going to be especially his right hand man and maybe how he hopes to play.

are we bringing anyone in, is TP and PG staying?

what is happening with the youth?

how he thinks older players will react to him?

does he realise what a :censored: storm he has let himself in for?

etc etc

Edited by palmer1

No. Quite right, but if you've won a few bob on the lottery you might want to wisely invest. Also, if you're going to lose a :censored: load of cash because your fiesta is knackered, then it's a false economy and you're actually wiser investing in something better.

What like these lottery winners that win millions, buy cars, boats, houses and fancy holidays then in a couple of years have blown it all?. As a club we simply cannot afford what some people want, and I for one am happy for us to go with what we can afford.

The following names came out of the hat.

Please PM me with your full names for security purposes :

Barry

Barry, it won't let me send you a PM (maybe your mailbox is full?). I'll be there at 4.00pm though. thanks

In regard to questions, he will have only had the job 2 hours so he wont know about Baxter and other players contracts for those asking

If I was applying for he job and was selected then a condition would be whether the likes of Baxter was to remain for next season. Hence why this Q needs asking.