Who's staying and going

I'm fairly glad Bouzanis has gone.

I've seen many people here say we have 2 good keepers but, from what I've seen of Bouzanis, he:

+ is a good shot stopper

- is weak positionally

- doesn't command his area very well recently (he did at first - maybe a confidence thing)

- has very inconsistent distribution. Usually 3 or 4 misplaced passes each half, typically so bad we can't even compete for the ball. (not offset imo by v good passes he occasionally pulls off)

- isn't particularly intelligent from footballing perspective

Jury is still out from me on Cisak.

Edited by Armchair

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we didn't offer a contract to Taylor because the compensation we'd get for employing him for twelve months whilst he sat on a physio table and rotted in the reserves would be minimal, and it's not worth him saying 'yes' and doing the same thing next season.

He hasn't come through at Latics and I'd be stunned if any objective observer thought he had developed whilst he's been at BP.

That is a fair point after all his injury could rule him out for a while still. I think his treatment will be on the club's insurance tab though.

Overall I'm satisfied with the retained list, glad the youngsters in general are getting a chance although from the small amount I've seen of him I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor becomes a player who we've let slip through the net.

It's a bold and risky move by LJ choosing Cisak over Bouzanis after the season they've both had. Both are good enough to be number one although I think Cisak will go on to play at a higher level than Bouzanis in the future, but Bouzanis would have been a safe choice after a decent season and with the chance that Cisak would be looking elsewhere to secure regular first-team football. If both do go I think we'll struggle to get a keeper of similar quality. It's possible we will, but unlikely.

As for Croft, M'voto and Smith; Croft is the player that I think we will find most difficult to replace of the three. As good as M'voto has been for most of the season I think we could find an adequate replacement if he does go and while it would be difficult to get a like-for-like replacement for Smith, I don't think he'll fit into LJ's starting lineup anyway.

As for Croft, M'voto and Smith; Croft is the player that I think we will find most difficult to replace of the three. As good as M'voto has been for most of the season I think we could find an adequate replacement if he does go and while it would be difficult to get a like-for-like replacement for Smith, I don't think he'll fit into LJ's starting lineup anyway.

A player who I would attempt to replace Croft with if he leaves would be Mark Duffy from Scunthorpe. I'm sure he'll be available in the summer with their relegation dragging him to a level of football below his quality.

He is fast and skillful, often direct and assisted more goals than Crofty did this season, chipping in with 5 goals, too.

I'm sure there'd be a few clubs following him but I'd certainly make an effort to sign him as he's been extremely impressive in both games against us this season and I doubt Scunthorpe have been paying him much more than we've been paying Crofty.

Edited by NewBlue

A player who I would attempt to replace Croft with if he leaves would be Mark Duffy from Scunthorpe. I'm sure he'll be available in the summer with their relegation dragging him to a level of football below his quality.

He is fast and skillful, often direct and assisted more goals than Crofty did this season, chipping in with 5 goals, too.

I'm sure there'd be a few clubs following him but I'd certainly make an effort to sign him as he's been extremely impressive in both games against us this season and I doubt Scunthorpe have been paying him much more than we've been paying Crofty.

Agreed. Duffy always impresses but think it would be a non-starter trying to get him here . Sheff united enquired about him in January expect him to go somewhere offering a lot more than we can .

Overall I'm satisfied with the retained list, glad the youngsters in general are getting a chance although from the small amount I've seen of him I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor becomes a player who we've let slip through the net.

It's a bold and risky move by LJ choosing Cisak over Bouzanis after the season they've both had. Both are good enough to be number one although I think Cisak will go on to play at a higher level than Bouzanis in the future, but Bouzanis would have been a safe choice after a decent season and with the chance that Cisak would be looking elsewhere to secure regular first-team football. If both do go I think we'll struggle to get a keeper of similar quality. It's possible we will, but unlikely.

For his goals to games ratio Lj must surely be thinking its about getting the right players around smith ?

Smith with Jose just behind could be lethal . There would be a distinct lack of pace in that partnership but I couldn't see another flaw to it . 26 goals between them in a struggling team last season, that's with smith rarely starting and Jose being used in central midfield for a large chunk of the campaign . Get pace in the wings , central midfielders who will bomb on and arrive in the box late to play off the space Jose creates and feed off smiths knock downs .

For his goals to games ratio Lj must surely be thinking its about getting the right players around smith ?

Smith with Jose just behind could be lethal . There would be a distinct lack of pace in that partnership but I couldn't see another flaw to it . 26 goals between them in a struggling team last season, that's with smith rarely starting and Jose being used in central midfield for a large chunk of the campaign . Get pace in the wings , central midfielders who will bomb on and arrive in the box late to play off the space Jose creates and feed off smiths knock downs .

Everybody in the know on here says Smith is away elsewhere.

We need a :censored: off a shovel striker who Baxter can thread little throughballs to, would happily take Derbyshire in exchange.

I think LJ is more likely to go for a winger he knows who I understand is out of contract at Kilmarnock, James Dayton.

I think LJ is more likely to go for a winger he knows who I understand is out of contract at Kilmarnock, James Dayton.

Anything in this or just a hunch? Had a spell at Yeovil too.

Shiels seems to think he should be playing for England... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/scottish-premier/9967143/James-Dayton-should-play-for-England-says-Kilmarnock-manager-Kenny-Shiels-and-hes-not-joking.html

Dayton been offered a new 3-year contract at Kilmarnock. Says he's focused on recovering from injury (broken ribs) before he continues negotiations and sorts out his future.

Took only five minutes of solid research (stalking) to find that he is good mates with LJ.

https://twitter.com/jamesdayton10/status/278512274107412481/photo/1

Someone on one of the Kilmarnock forums reckons LJ has gone in for James Dayton and William Gros.

Both seem to split opinion but someone on the forum says that since January, they have been their 2 best players.

Agreed. Duffy always impresses but think it would be a non-starter trying to get him here . Sheff united enquired about him in January expect him to go somewhere offering a lot more than we can .

Duffy was at Southport and then like Carl Baker he moved to Morecambe, I'd say Latics have as good a chance as anyone now he's officially a League Two player

• 5 weeks later...

Hughes suffered from other players being in the same position, combined with never being given a proper chance.

For the few minutes I saw of him I thought he had potential. But I didn't see more than three hours of him, and neither did anybody else. So I can't say he's great or :censored:e. Neither can anybody else.