Paul Dickov gets Doncaster job

Do we have to sell Jose Baxter now, no. Swindon were quite desperate for some cash when they sold Ritchie to Bournemouth. So much so that DiCanio (who was a fairly substantial asset himself) walked. We will have made money for the past 2 or 3 seasons (can't remember if we made money in 10/11 or not). Jose Baxter when his contract runs out still makes us money on the "sale" if he goes somewhere else in England. No minimum release clause probably means we can hold out for a bit of money for the time being. Jose might be sold in the summer but for £250k, nah, he could makes us that back in the cups and he could have 2 years to do so too. If we are out of the cups before Jan, then I can see Corney being very tempted by £250k in Jan, now I'd think the bidding starts at £500k. Next summer I'd think English clubs may have to still pay £250k, non-English may be able to get him for less. But that is without him improving, which he is unlikely to do.

100 % agree, wouldn't it be nice to play hardball for once and hold out for a big fee. We all know that the club doesn't have a pot to piss in but that doesn't mean we have to sell our most valuable assets for a mere percentage of there true value. You only have to look at crewe to see it can be done, 2.5 million for Ashley westwood and 6 million for nick powell, they are another club who aren't the richest but have held out and got top fees for 2 of there young prospects. Anything less thank 600k for baxter and we have really been robbed, we all know he has the potential to play in the top flight.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unaccounted for Income when budgets where set at the start of respective season(s)

10/11 Sold Eaves, Loan Fee for Stephens, TV appearance v Tranmere

11/12 Sold Stephens, TV appearances v MK Dons, Chesterfield (JPT), & Sheff Wed (A) & Share of Gate Receipts Liverpool (A)

12/13 TV Appearances v Sheff Wed, Liverpool & Everton x 2, FA Cup Prize Money & Gate Receipts

There'll also be a loan fee for Furman but there's also a flip side of unaccounted for expenditure such as cup bonuses & the loan moves for Barnard and Iwelumo which were done to rescue us from the :censored: when other teams around us had to be less ambitious with their signings because they hadn't enjoyed a windfall.

There'll also be a loan fee for Furman but there's also a flip side of unaccounted for expenditure such as cup bonuses & the loan moves for Barnard and Iwelumo which were done to rescue us from the :censored: when other teams around us had to be less ambitious with their signings because they hadn't enjoyed a windfall.

There should have been some of the budget allocated for a striker, probably around a continuation of what we were paying for Slew. However, I doubt Derbyshire and in particular Barnard and Iwelumo were at the same rate.

I'd also be surprised if we paid Baxter the same rate pre and post January. Baxter post January could easily have taken up double what had been budgeted for.

Budgets in football are seemingly very flexible compared to other industries, with lots of additional unbudgeted income and expenditure.

This is one of the main reasons why I was very surprised to see Corney come out and say that our budget is going to be reduced next season before fully knowing who we would have league games against.

IF Baxter does go (and we 're all in agreement that we hope he doesn't) then you can't really fault him if he has more lucrative offers else where BUT he re-paid us by giving us the rest of the season when he could have joined someone else on a free and getting no money for him at all. As well as that getting around 500k for a player we found as a free agent is some shrewd business by us as a club.

There should have been some of the budget allocated for a striker, probably around a continuation of what we were paying for Slew. However, I doubt Derbyshire and in particular Barnard and Iwelumo were at the same rate.

I'd also be surprised if we paid Baxter the same rate pre and post January. Baxter post January could easily have taken up double what had been budgeted for.

Budgets in football are seemingly very flexible compared to other industries, with lots of additional unbudgeted income and expenditure.

This is one of the main reasons why I was very surprised to see Corney come out and say that our budget is going to be reduced next season before fully knowing who we would have league games against.

I watched the Doncaster chairman talking about Dickov, he stated that we were paying 1500.00/week for Derbyshire. He put that down to Dickov's contacts/negotiation. Part of Dickov selling himself at the interview no doubt.

Unaccounted for Income when budgets where set at the start of respective season(s)

11/12 Sold Stephens, TV appearances v MK Dons, Chesterfield (JPT), & Sheff Wed (A) & Share of Gate Receipts Liverpool (A)

12/13 TV Appearances v Sheff Wed, Liverpool & Everton x 2, FA Cup Prize Money & Gate Receipts

I think the word is unbudgeted.

TV income for league games is, I think, c£25k. Less again if you're the away side. The MK Dons game saw a 2,400 crowd - perhaps £20k less in gate receipts compared to it being played on a Saturday. No idea how much, if anything, the JPT run would have brought in (or the TV income from it) but I'd suggest not much.

Fair call on the other bits and pieces. Set it off against falling gates, increased pension liabilities, the avoid relegation loan signings at the end of the season etc. The two FA Cup runs are massive earners, this season more than last. I'd have loved some of that money to be allocated to a very competitive playing budget for a year or two.

But we all know debt will be reduced. Less exciting. But makes the football club marginally more secure.

Edited by opinions4u

No issue with the debt being reduced, but surely that also reduces the need to cash in on your prize asset(s) ?

I suspect that if this season's cup run had happened in Dickov's first season before Stephens left things could have been very different. But we rolled over lamely at Accrington, the wages didn't get paid, we slipped from sixth to nowhere in rapid time and Dickov went on to show he didn't have a clue how to reverse a poor run of form.

I understand the current strategy. It's break even, pay debt if there's a surplus and hope we get lucky with a genius manager. Unfortunately you could get an extra :censored:e set of managers and drop three divisions before you can say County.

I suspect Corney sees the new stand as investment / legacy. But it will need a product on the pitch. A small gym and a bar won't, on their own, bankroll a promotion challenge.

According to the Daily Mirror:

• Doncaster manager Paul Dickov will raid his old club Oldham for Jose Baxter and Lee Croft.

But then again we knew he would, Did we not?

Already started with Furman.......

Are you saying that SC is committing fraud here as that what it means if he's not accounting for income correctly?

Edit - As per O4U's post

Edited by jimsleftfoot

I suspect that if this season's cup run had happened in Dickov's first season before Stephens left things could have been very different. But we rolled over lamely at Accrington, the wages didn't get paid, we slipped from sixth to nowhere in rapid time and Dickov went on to show he didn't have a clue how to reverse a poor run of form.

I understand the current strategy. It's break even, pay debt if there's a surplus and hope we get lucky with a genius manager. Unfortunately you could get an extra :censored:e set of managers and drop three divisions before you can say County.

I suspect Corney sees the new stand as investment / legacy. But it will need a product on the pitch. A small gym and a bar won't, on their own, bankroll a promotion challenge.

There's also the point that apparently we spent more last season than the previous two, so perhaps some of income we recieved did go back into the club.

IF Baxter does go (and we 're all in agreement that we hope he doesn't) then you can't really fault him if he has more lucrative offers else where BUT he re-paid us by giving us the rest of the season when he could have joined someone else on a free and getting no money for him at all. As well as that getting around 500k for a player we found as a free agent is some shrewd business by us as a club.

Agree completely, Baxter has to put his career prospects to the fore and that will, most probably, mean moving on.

I'm not sure how I feel about Dickov "raiding" our club, but as with any other manager, they go for who they know and can rely on to work with.

If Dickov has learned anything at all from his time at Latics, then he should continue his learning curve at Doncaster..it's just a matter of if Doncaster and its fans will be patient enough to stick by him.

I've always been of the opinion if they want to be here great, if they don't let them move on and if they're worth a :censored:load……cash in to the highest bidder. Should have done that with Taylor and Porter, we hesitated - we got shafted.

As much as I like Baxter, I'd give my left bollock for an all out centre-forward goal scorer rather than a luxury type player, and often that's what he was and is. He's a helluva talent but for me our best league performance of the season in terms of effort and work-rate -was when he was banned against Yeovil. I'd love Baxter to be part of LJs revolution but if he goes and we get a fair price, I won't be losing any sleep over it.

After-all it's hardly like i'm 12 again and we're just about to sell Tommy Wright again is it?

Edited by oafcprozac

Incidentally, how have the doncaster fans reacted to this appointment?

Think the general consensus is that they think its a decent appointment (what they base that on ive no idea) theres one or two upset about it but they think he'll do a lot better there given the budget he has and the coaching experience already in place around him.