Paul Dickov gets Doncaster job

I think a director of football is necessary for any club that will hire Paul Dickov as their manager..

I think one of his few redeeming features as a manager is that he's got a decent eye for a player - Baxter, JYM, Cisak, Grounds, Croft, Wes and, eventually, Smith were good signings. The problem is that he doesn't know what to do with them.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one of his few redeeming features as a manager is that he's got a decent eye for a player - Baxter, JYM, Cisak, Grounds, Croft, Wes and, eventually, Smith were good signings. The problem is that he doesn't know what to do with them.

Agreed.

I imagine he'll still have a hand in recruitment, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a slightly higher calibre of City and Arsenal reserves at Donny next season.

I think a director of football is necessary for any club that will hire Paul Dickov as their manager..

Really? I think player recruitment was his real positive attribute. What he needs is someone who knows something about tactics whilst he is busy talking to the 4th official

Really? I think player recruitment was his real positive attribute. What he needs is someone who knows something about tactics whilst he is busy talking to the 4th official

That's more what I was inferring. i.e. the literal interpretation of 'director of football' - as opposed to somebody who sort of deals with transfers, sometimes, isn't really sure - but still receives a salary

I thought Flynn might fill that role, but it appears he's moving into a Director of Football job. Why the :censored: does any club, particularly at that level, require a Director of Football?

Word on the street is that Horton will be Dickov's assistant.

The Donny fans must be gutted!

Really nice bloke but a shocking manager. His (lack of) tactics weren't good enough for League 1, why would Donny's board think he's good enough for the Championship??

Baxter and Smith will be on their way this summer anyway and Donny's money is as good as anyone's so bring it on. My worry would be losing JYM.

Just proves what a strange world football is , fail at one level and get promoted to a higher level on more money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not what you know, it's who you know. Being mates with the Donny chairman has outweighed football common sense.

croft was overweight and average under dickov, smith didn't get played, wes and montano have hardly set the world on fire, grounds does a job but they could probably find a better left back than him, similar with tarky. The only players I can see him coming in for are jose baxter and big jean

Croft average against Liverpool?

In fact his form took a step up games before that and his fitness also began to improve.

Yes it continued on an upward trajectory after PD left but let's not airbrush history.

A few pearls from the DRFC Forum

Baxter will cost us, he has 2 years left on his contract, Oldham will want at least £250k
and the rest...

Although he will be reasonably expensive I wonder if their financial situation might force their hand a bit.

Bargain!! If we can get Baxter for £250k, I'll go and fetch him myself!!
No chance sunshine!

On JYM...

He is w**k. Had an absolute mare when we played them at our place.

A few pearls from the DRFC Forum

and the rest...

No chance sunshine!

On JYM...

You think the club will hold out for more than 250k? With so many players out of contract this summer it's probably the maximum we can expect.