Paul Dickov gets Doncaster job

Definitely. Who will pay an extortionate fee when there are others available for free?

He's got a 2 year contract.

We're not short of money.

I'd be holding out for as much as i could get. Let's start the bidding at say £1million - worst case scenario - no-one wants him at that price and we keep him...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's got a 2 year contract.

We're not short of money.

I'd be holding out for as much as i could get. Let's start the bidding at say £1million - worst case scenario - no-one wants him at that price and we keep him...

Of course you and I would, but the track record of our chairman and recent assets (Stephens) gives me little confidence in the transfer fee we could realistically obtain. Besides, I don't think clubs with the financial backing would necessarily make Baxter the top priority - more likely Premier League and Championship fall out. Could perhaps see the likes of Wolves or Sheff Utd making a bid, but any sign of resistance at our end would probably send them on to other targets.

Other Jose Baxter's?

Have you told the club about this ?

15 goals - How many of them penalties? I'm certainly not knocking him, but there are players with better records about.

I am not denying the boy has a lot of talent, but to get the best use out of him requires building a team around him. I don't really see any top league one, or championship side (presuming they're the calibre of teams that would attract him) willing to take a chance on that with a large transfer fee involved. If the chairman wants to cash in, then I believe he will. Nevertheless, I expect to see Baxter in a Latics shirt come August.

Matt Ritchie went from Swindon to Bournemouth for £500,000. He'd scored 9 goals this season and 23 over 18 months for Swindon. Ritchie was probably Swindon's best player and their creative midfielder, so as close to Baxter as possible.

Baxter's under contract to us, but if a decent offer comes in Corney would be stupid not to consider. Based on Matt Ritchie's transfer though, he'd be stupid to consider anything under £500,000.

Fair?

Matt Ritchie went from Swindon to Bournemouth for £500,000. He'd scored 9 goals this season and 23 over 18 months for Swindon. Ritchie was probably Swindon's best player and their creative midfielder, so as close to Baxter as possible.

Baxter's under contract to us, but if a decent offer comes in Corney would be stupid not to consider. Based on Matt Ritchie's transfer though, he'd be stupid to consider anything under £500,000.

Fair?

I did think about the Ritchie transfer, but I think it was something of an anomaly at a time where Bournemouth were spending silly money. I think Baxter as a player is perfectly comparable with Ritchie. But will any clubs be spending like Bournemouth were this summer?

Fair?

He'll have to consider - and accept - any offer that matches any release figure in Jose's contract

Fair?

I think £500K is about the most we could expect, and to be honest I think I'd take that if I were Mr. Corney.

A lot depends on JB'S ambition. Does he seriously think that he can make it to the top if so then stay at Latics and prove how good he is,if he is just after the best wage he can get then go to donny & be back in league 1 in 12 months time & be an also ran

A lot depends on JB'S ambition. Does he seriously think that he can make it to the top if so then stay at Latics and prove how good he is,if he is just after the best wage he can get then go to donny & be back in league 1 in 12 months time & be an also ran

So if he's really ambitious he should stay at Latics, but if he's no ambition he should move up a division?

So if he's really ambitious he should stay at Latics, but if he's no ambition he should move up a division?

But if he moves up a division he'll fail and be an also ran, so he should stay here and prove that he's ready to move up a division and fail.