Dickov eyes Latics duo

Don't know if this has been posted... From today Oldham Chron online:

Baxter and Croft in Rovers sights

STAR duo Jose Baxter and Lee Croft have emerged as transfer targets for their old boss, Doncaster’s Paul Dickov.

The new man in charge at the South Yorkshire club reportedly wants the pair to spearhead the attack for the promoted Championship side.

Baxter, who scored 15 times for Athletic last season, was brought by Dickov to Boundary Park when he left Everton and was without a club, last summer. He quickly became a favourite with fans.

The 21-year-old striker signed a two and a half year contract with Athletic in January, thanks to DIckov. The opportunity to renew his relationship with the Scot at a higher level could be tempting.

Any move for Baxter would land Athletic a substantial transfer fee.

Croft, meanwhile, is out of contract at Boundary Park and is considering a new deal. Again, the chance to play in the Championship could be decisive in determining a move.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/80548/dickov-eyes-latics-duo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe he would do this to us! I know it's ideal for him at his new job and he is completely in his right to BUT to take two maybe three of our best players from last season which was an awful season mainly down to him as a tactically inept manager is a nasty trick to pull in my eyes.

Croft was dreadfully overweight and only produced in the cup games.

Once Dickov left, the club gets people in charge who can can get him more in shape and he actually starts to play well.

Baxter loved Dickov and understandably thought a former Premier League striker would bring him on.

Yet he was part of a team heading towards League Two, getting crap service and looking foolish for signing.

He finishes the campaign under LJ winning games and tipping Latics to be in the Championship inside two years.

Money talks....?

I can't believe he would do this to us! I know it's ideal for him at his new job and he is completely in his right to BUT to take two maybe three of our best players from last season which was an awful season mainly down to him as a tactically inept manager is a nasty trick to pull in my eyes.

Why? If he thinks they're good enough, can't fault him for trying to sign them regardless of the club they have come from...

He doesn't give a :censored:. You seem to think he will give a hoot about us.

footballs a cuthroat business.

He wants to do well for his new employer. Thinks signing former players (who we can assume are happy to play for him, since they've already been persuaded once) can help him. One will be out of contract so is fair game, the other will only be allowed to leave in exchange for cash money.

I'd expect nothing less from him. I was hoping he'd take some of our less effective players off our hands, but that might be too much.

Edited by Crusoe

And "sweat" as in "Latics sweat over injured defender". Not forgetting "warchest", "Paul Dickov plans to open Donny's warchest with a raid on Latics pair".

"a brace" - 2 goals. Everywhere else calls them a pair.

We wont get more than 600k-750k for Baxter I wouldnt think

I have to be honest their will be players out their at the same price as Jose who are proven at a higher level, whilst he shone for us if he aint the main man I think he could struggle

If the bid was 750k with add ons I would accept as long as LJ could pump that back into the playing squad

Sell Baxter could prove to be the move that shoots us up the table if we invest the money wisely

He could break down 5mins into the 1st game of the season and we might never see him again for 6months, thats far too big a risk for Latics

Croft is a free agent. Anyone can sign him; he's not our player. If Dickov's thinks he can do a job for Donny, of course he'll approach him.

He can only sign Baxter if Latics accept an offer.

He's hardly stabbing us in the back.

The beauty here is despite him being a top bloke Crofty & Baxter have seen 1st hand just how tatically inept Dickov is

Plus he will probably be out but December when the penny up there drops he is :censored: and they are left with no option but to sack him

I want Croft to stay he was my fav player last season but he didnt score a single goal from midfield!! We can get just as good, bloody hell LJ has won me over never thoughts id be saying things like that 6months ago