Dickov eyes Latics duo

No less than a million for Baxter. They'll have to spend that kind of money on a couple of players to make sure they're equipped for the Championship. If Dickov rates him then he's worth it.

It's beyond the 'he's a gamble' phase and if Everton had have sold him before his contract expired they'd have got more than that. We hold all the cards and with another good season his value's only going to increase. He's on the radar of other clubs now but with another good season, or even come January, there are likely to be more and more firm offers. Game time is only going to show other clubs any previous troubles are behind him.

The only way we can come off worse is if his career goes tits up which I can't see. No reason to sell unless there's silly money involved. Even with a million bid it wouldn't be the worst risk in the world holding on, the more clubs see he's playing and playing well the likelier there's a chance of a bidding war.

Even without all this, he's our best player, proved himself to be a good pro and offers us the slimmest of chances of getting out this division. He likes it here, he's liked by us. If he really wants to go to Donny (a step up lower than he's likely to be offered in the future) they should be digging deep.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even without all this, he's our best player, proved himself to be a good pro and offers us the slimmest of chances of getting out this division.

In fairness, I think we'd have got out this division last season if we hadn't have signed him.

It's not even a story really, just a lazy assumption that Dickov must be interested in players he has managed before.

People should bear in mind though that unless he signs another contract extension, Baxter's value will decrease, not increase.

I would be very surprised if Baxter didn't have a minimum release clause in his contract if someone from a higher division came calling. Would he want to go to Doncaster though? If that is the case Dickov would know it.

Edited by mikeroyboy

I would be very surprised if Baxter didn't have a minimum release clause in his contract if someone from a higher division came calling. Would he want to go to Doncaster though?

Mike Keegan confirmed that there is no minimum release clause.

No less than a million for Baxter. They'll have to spend that kind of money on a couple of players to make sure they're equipped for the Championship. If Dickov rates him then he's worth it.

It's beyond the 'he's a gamble' phase and if Everton had have sold him before his contract expired they'd have got more than that. We hold all the cards and with another good season his value's only going to increase. He's on the radar of other clubs now but with another good season, or even come January, there are likely to be more and more firm offers. Game time is only going to show other clubs any previous troubles are behind him.

The only way we can come off worse is if his career goes tits up which I can't see. No reason to sell unless there's silly money involved. Even with a million bid it wouldn't be the worst risk in the world holding on, the more clubs see he's playing and playing well the likelier there's a chance of a bidding war.

Even without all this, he's our best player, proved himself to be a good pro and offers us the slimmest of chances of getting out this division. He likes it here, he's liked by us. If he really wants to go to Donny (a step up lower than he's likely to be offered in the future) they should be digging deep.

Agreed we hold all the cards on this regarding contracts and if Dickov wants him I would bleed him and Donny dry because I would suggest that 1m with add on is the minimum and reckon we could really hold out for more than that as I think Dickov would push the boat out to get him and if the majority is put into squad building I believe that LJ could sign a few decent players with that (maybe I am to positive but either way we win if he leaves or stays).

Didn't we do something similar in 2008 with Chris Taylor?

How much did we end up getting for him....

It's a risk but one worth taking. He's got 2 years left and 4 transfer windows. Just don't think we need to take the first offer from, all of the clubs to be getting tapped up by, Doncaster. If he stays fit and continues as he has he's going to be a target of a lot of clubs. If he does go, I just hope we get a deal that's reflective of his talents.

Jose won't be 24 when his contract runs out, so if he were to stay in the English league system we would get compensation if he left at the end of his contract.

The club could probably work out what that compensation will be. The minimum asking price at the moment starts significantly above that.

The sad thing is, any other club would and could hold out for more money - Bradford asking for about 2 million for that Wells. We realistically should ask for about 800k minimum... My fear is though like someone already pointed out, if anyone offers near 500k then he will be sold.

The sad thing is, any other club would and could hold out for more money - Bradford asking for about 2 million for that Wells. We realistically should ask for about 800k minimum... My fear is though like someone already pointed out, if anyone offers near 500k then he will be sold.

What have you based that on...

a player who left a prem club of his own accord after Turning down a new contract. he scored 15 ?goals last year from various positions and got rave reviews in the press on more than 1 occasion not just when the scouse clubs came to town.

It is common knowledge within the game that José is a talent who should be at a higher level.

Take that into consideration if you don't ask for at least 1 million for him in today's market then you need your head testing!

Having said that keep him until at least Jan and if we are treading water sell sell sell

Edited by palmer1

Maybe its just me but if you get £750,000 for them I would snap there hands off

Thats enough to pay for 4 players on £3,600 a week (more than Baxter is on)

You could buy the spine of your team on that money and really strengthern, no need to spend on transfer fees as there will be some real quality out there this summer and proven players

The beauty of Baxter is you can sell the club to new players at the moment by saying look what we have done for the lad and the fact that better players coming in will want to play in the same team as better players ala Baxter

Jose or not this season I dont think we will go down as the tatically inept one is no longer here

Edited by laticdickovarmy