PITCH ENCROACHMENT AND DAMAGE- Part 2

I would also like to add that the whole perception of the Trust differs from one fan to another. In a technical sense we are what it says on the label. We are Trustees who main task should be to overlook the interests of the club. It is not really within their remit to take over the responsiblities of the "Supporters Association" who should be fullfuling tasks in ther own role whilst raising money. By default these tasks have fallen on the Trust.

I could take issue with a number of points in this thread and maybe, if I find time at some point, I might bother my arse to do so. But the above paragraph in particular really jars and seems somewhat contradictory to the Trust's 'Constitution and Aims' which states that the focus of the Trust is to represent Oldham Athletic supporters.

The Trust could be a great thing but, sadly, in my opinion, it's anything but. I reckon if you polled the fans as to the importance and performance of the Trust it would come out pretty bloody badly. Perhaps the way in which you apparently see the Trust's role goes some way to explaining why the Trust has become such an insignificant entity in most fans' eyes.

The interests of the club are rightly important to the Trust but, if anything, this should be a secondary concern. The primary focus of a Trust is the fans and it is, by definition, a supporters' organisation.

You wandered off track years ago but seem to quite like where you've ended up.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scratch2000uk

Quote "The decisions made after the encroachment were made by the Board of Directors and not me personally, so why make a personal assessment"

Does this mean you are the boards representative to the fans then? :omg:

I would have thought that banning the culprits would seem a fairer way of dealing with the encroachment and the other misdemeanors, rather than punishing ALL the kids, for the action of a few.

If the Trust isn't willing to consider itself a true representation of the fans, then why isn't their a separate supporters association?

I always presumed the role of the Trust would of superseded a Supporters Association....

There does seem to be one in operation given this link... http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/fans/supporters-club/

I would also like to add that the whole perception of the Trust differs from one fan to another. In a technical sense we are what it says on the label. We are Trustees who main task should be to overlook the interests of the club. It is not really within their remit to take over the responsiblities of the "Supporters Association" who should be fullfuling tasks in ther own role whilst raising money. By default these tasks have fallen on the Trust.

With thanks to Stevie for highlighting this paragraph that I had not read properly when reading Barry's initial post.

According to the constitution and aims on the Trust website, its efforts will be:

Protecting the future of Oldham Athletic: Having a fan on the board of the club is vital in ensuring a debacle similar to that of the 'Chris Moore Era' will never happen again un-noticed. Whilst the Trust may be unable to stop such an event happening, we will be in a good position to see this happening, and have plans formulated to cope with such a situation.

Representing the views of the fans: The fans are the very soul of the club - there is no doubt of that. By having a fan on the Board of Directors, the view of many Oldham Athletic fans can be aired at board-room level. The Trust will always strive to ensure that fans are treated in a fair manner, and help build a fan-friendly football club.

Investing in the future of Oldham Athletic: The Trust will continue to raise funds to invest in the future development of the football club - starting at youth-team level. We will work closely with the youth set-up to help youngsters in Oldham develop their footballing talent so we can see more players like Chris Taylor, Neil Eardley, Dean Smalley and Matty Wolfenden progress into the first team.

Barry, I would be grateful for confirmation as to how your 'main job of overlooking the interests of the club' fits in with the above. Does overlooking the interests mean making sure 2003 doesn't happen again?

In the meantime, I remain curious and entirely unconvinced as to how, most importantly, the second point about representing the views of the fans is manifested. That is in the Trust's constitution and yet I'd be stunned if any Latics fan saw the Trust as their representatives (but will stand to be corrected if anyone wishes to do so).

Was it ? I think age is certainly a factor when selecting a leader. Its why the Tories, Liberals and Labour all have much younger leaders than in the past.

While not wishing to deflect the debate in the thread too much, I look at our hip young party leaders and wonder just what the :censored: their respective parties were doing at the time. That's not to say we should all vote for the Michael Foots of his world, but age is just about the last thing to consider when selecting somebody to lead you to a "greater good".

Its probably uncomfortable reality given the reaction from yourself and Barry... Are you saying its wrong for someone to feel more comfortable with someone closer to their age, background and opinions ?

I'd suggest the opinions, objectives and ability to deliver on those are of more relevance when it boils down to the vote.

I would imagine that if a 18 year old stood to be the fans representative on the board some people would say they where too young for their liking for many reasons.

I'm actually quite interested to see how Stockport do with their 30 year old Chief Executive. I think he came in January time. He's on his third manager and taken them down to division six so far. The incompetence could have been the same from a 50 year old or a 70 old.

As for an 18 year old on the board, it would be difficult to support because the life experience and acumen isn't fully developed, but if exceptional attributes are shown it's not impossible to support. Especially if he's just won the Euro Millions.

Perhaps more can be done on the fans liaison front. Regular meetings with a group representing the singers, the moaners, the boring middle aged farts, the oldies.

Either way, I still think you should have apologised for referring to somebody's age to imply they were unsuited for a role. Challenge, debate and criticise actions and abilities by all means. But not on the grounds of age.

Edited by opinions4u

Either way, I still think you should have apologised for referring to somebody's age to imply they were unsuited for a role.

Unsuitable for the role ? Where did I say that ? If I had said that then there would certainly be a need to apologies but I didn't. What you have done is wrongly understood my point. You also silly missed the part where I praised Barry's efforts and said he should probably continue on the board regardless of what happens going forward.

The reference to age was in the context of personal representation and nothing to do with ability to do the role.

There is no need to apologies I feel.

Edited by oafc0000

Challenge, debate and criticise actions and abilities by all means. But not on the grounds of age.

I don't think at any point I criticised an action and linked it to age . What I very clearly said, that I would much prefer someone closer to my age group and having come from similar walks in life when looking for a leader. I would imagine a family man of around my age with children around my age is going to have similar concerns and agenda closer to my own, for example.... Its not about ability, its about finding someone who shares your priorities. Factors such as age can play a big part in that.

I would imagine a group of 18 year olds would be more drawn to a much younger representative... and a older crowd to a much older representative...r

Its quite a natural thing....

Anyway I will try resist commenting further about it because its already been made into a way bigger issue than it actually is to me. Its a small factor in reality.

Edited by oafc0000

I just noticed this... Now I am confused....

http://www.oldhamath...nyw-490370.aspx

Who is she ? Any ever spoken to her ? Where does Barry's role start and hers finish....

Fair point about the role maybe, but who is she, has anyone ever spoken to her?

This perhaps highlights that you might be a bit out of touch with whats going on at Latics.

Fair point about the role maybe, but who is she, has anyone ever spoken to her?

This perhaps highlights that you might be a bit out of touch with whats going on at Latics.

Very much so.... I am really out of touch and hence the question...

Edited by oafc0000

If the Trust isn't willing to consider itself a true representation of the fans, then why isn't there a separate supporters association?

tumblr_lraaquyW4I1qfwomeo1_500.jpg

"Excuse me. Are you the Oldham Athletic Supporters Trust?"

":censored: off! We're the Supporter's Trust of Oldham Athletic!"

What we need is a voice on the board that can act as a mouthpiece for the fans. Oh.

I can't believe that we've spent 200 large on a place on the board and all most of us end up doing is argue with that position. Use the position, challenge the club through that position. Do we have enough visibility of what is going on? Do we need transparency? Until we are completey unsatisfied with the way we are being represented, then and only then can we challenge the position itself.

Let's make this situation better before we start all over again with someone new.

age is just about the last thing to consider when selecting somebody to lead you to a "greater good".

You don't really think political parties make decisions based on the greater good do you? You'll be put in an asylum for even suggesting such a radical notion!

With thanks to Stevie for highlighting this paragraph that I had not read properly when reading Barry's initial post.

According to the constitution and aims on the Trust website, its efforts will be:

Barry, I would be grateful for confirmation as to how your 'main job of overlooking the interests of the club' fits in with the above. Does overlooking the interests mean making sure 2003 doesn't happen again?

Hi Barry,

Just thought I'd bump this as you haven't yet responded and didn't want you to forget about it!

• 1 month later...

The village was selected has it is a club partner and we hoped that by helping the club hold an scent there, more support from the Village group could be made towards the club for future events. JSS - what's this email that keeps being mentioned that needs to be answered ?

Wardle - sorry for the delay in response, was on holiday from 16th and got back last night. Not an email, just queries on here.

To be honest it's been quite a while so had a trawl back. This was the original query.

In the meantime, I remain curious and entirely unconvinced as to how, most importantly, the second point about representing the views of the fans is manifested. That is in the Trust's constitution and yet I'd be stunned if any Latics fan saw the Trust as their representatives (but will stand to be corrected if anyone wishes to do so).

What followed was a game of cat and mouse in which Barry never responded and despite me bumping the thread and commenting in other threads that he not only posted in or started himself but posted in after I had posted, he never provided a response.

Eventually, after I commented in another thread that he doesn't engage, he posted the following:

I always engaged. I just happen to be on holiday in the I.O.W. Latics fans on the island please get in touch again . Will meet up. Festival great. Killers tonight were fantastic. Contrary to opinions of some,still life in the old dog. No seriously, if you ain't been to the I .O.W festival try and fit it in. Great for the kids as well. Will answer your queries on return.

I said I looked forward to receiving a response when he was back. Again, despite posting elsewhere and me posting in those threads, not a sausage in response to the initial queries of two months ago.

Edited by jsslatic