F.A.O Barry Owen

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week he wasn't fit for purpose, this week we're demanding to hear from him as if his words will carry great weight.

Only on OWTB.

Not really.

I think Barry gets some unfair stick at times, but this is when he must be making a statement - no arguements. If he doesn't there is no point in him being there. This is what his job as spokesman is. I appreciate he is a busy man, instantaneous statements are not possible, but we need one reletively quickly.

Edited by pukka

Last week he wasn't fit for purpose, this week we're demanding to hear from him as if his words will carry great weight.

Only on OWTB.

I believe he gets a lot of undeserved grief but it's all part of the roll when you're a fans representative, not everyone's going to like you. It's also in his job to make statements and interact with the fans in these sort of situations.

I first heard about this "rumour" in mid-February. I had 2 different people confirm (both who would have no idea the other person knew) that there was a real interest in a Vaughan led consortium acquiring us. I subsequently passed the info onto 2 Trust members who made Barry Owen aware of the interest in us. When I asked at a later date what happened, I was told that Barry was unaware of the links and that this could not be happening without his knowledge.

I wouldn't expect the club to comment on this, it's just a rehashed rumour. I think an announcement is only required if and when any negotiations with any party get to an advanced stage.

So? Barry should be commenting on it. He is supposed to be a liason between the club and fans. If he isn't prepared to comment on it then we need to get someone in who will.

So? Barry should be commenting on it. He is supposed to be a liason between the club and fans. If he isn't prepared to comment on it then we need to get someone in who will.

I have no doubt Barry will post a message/statement he may just be waiting to get relevant updates.

I didn't start the topic to have ago at Barry. I respect him and what he does there is no doubt that he try's his best so sorry to anyone who thinks I'm just having a pop at barry. All I want to know is are the club considering any offers from Vaughan?

In my role as the Chairman of the Trust I feel obliged to clarify a number of issues brought about by prevous rumours and a release apparently by Greater Manchester Radio.

I am aware , like many other fans that the Chairman has never hidden the fact that the club has always been for sale If it is in the interests of the club for him to do so. He has always remained adamant that any buyer (or buyers) would have to show that the long term interest of the club were safeguarded. As touched on a few weeks ago by a poster the trust would also have similiar interests.

I am unaware as to why the Vaughan consortium would wish any interest they may have to be public knowledge and why they would think that might be helpful in their quest.

I am not aware of any formal offer that has been made for the club and I am sure that if such accasion did arise the Chairman would bring that to the notice of the Directors.

Whilst I do not wish to discuss the Trusts 3% of shares of course that may or may not be of interest to any buyers. Thatr would be the case whether it was the Vaughan's or any other bidder.

It is also the case that any buyers or those connected to a consortium are subject to scrutiny by the Authorities and a test applies asa to whther they are fit and proper people.

You can be assured that I have full confidence in the Chairman in looking after the cluibs interests and in all circumstances I would continue to act in the interests of the fans with vigour.

I cannot add anything further on the matter but if anyone is concerned please pop down to our meeting tonight.

Regards

Barry

To be fair, I was hoping for something a bit stronger. It's true that the authorities have their fit-and-proper person test, but everyone in football (surely including you) knows the test is absolute bull:censored:.

The line I was hoping for was something like: Whilst it's all speculation and gossip, there is no way I would ever condone or support the sale of OAFC to people with such obviously terrible reputations. I'll fight this tooth and nail, even if it turns out to be nothing. The Vaughans will take over Oldham Athletic over my dead body.