As reality set in for LJ

Mvoto is the key one for me now, can't just keep letting your best talent drain away and hope to stay competitive.

This is how it is in today's game. A club like ours can't compete with 65% of the 92 financially. It's difficult to find players who choose loyalty over money. Big Jean just might do, we don't know, I hope he does but it's not something you can blame lj for.

I got accused on Facebook of lacking ambition all, because I said I would be happy for a top ten finish give the players time to get and develop, while this other Oldham fan said we will win promotion or might as well spend are time watching friendlies.

Would love nothing more than to see us go up but do not think we have a strong enough squad yet.

I got accused on Facebook of lacking ambition all, because I said I would be happy for a top ten finish give the players time to get and develop, while this other Oldham fan said we will win promotion or might as well spend are time watching friendlies.

Would love nothing more than to see us go up but do not think we have a strong enough squad yet.

I think anyone expecting us to challenge for promotion is going to be sorely disappointed. LJ will be in his first full season as a manager. He will make mistakes, just as any new manager will. We've been in a relegation battle the past few years and I think people underestimate how difficult it would be to propel the club towards the top end of the table. Even if we're in a good position part-way into the season, it will be difficult to sustain as our squad will be strained by injuries and suspensions and our budget will not stretch to adequately covering these. A top-half finish would be an enormous step forward, in my book.

I think anyone expecting us to challenge for promotion is going to be sorely disappointed. LJ will be in his first full season as a manager. He will make mistakes, just as any new manager will. We've been in a relegation battle the past few years and I think people underestimate how difficult it would be to propel the club towards the top end of the table. Even if we're in a good position part-way into the season, it will be difficult to sustain as our squad will be strained by injuries and suspensions and our budget will not stretch to adequately covering these. A top-half finish would be an enormous step forward, in my book.

He's got a great asset in his dad though, its as good as having an assistant manager,

This is how it is in today's game. A club like ours can't compete with 65% of the 92 financially. It's difficult to find players who choose loyalty over money. Big Jean just might do, we don't know, I hope he does but it's not something you can blame lj for.

Indeed players and especially their agents always put deal in front of trying to carve out some time at the same club, therefore it takes more time for teams to settle and potentially slow the career development of the players and the success of the team. The only way often to keep players is to pay over the odds for them.

Slim chance of promotion this year and it will come down to luck and the work that the manager and players put in to form and gel as a good team.

That said, i'm not expecting promotion - anything better than Dickov and Penney will do.

Again people misconstruing what LJ is saying

Promotion is the AIM

that's not the expectation of what we will achieve, it is simply the club striving for it.

Yeovil proved that with a small squad of 18 relaitvely unknown names and players, that they could do it and they did.

That does not mean LJ thinks it is going to happen or expects it to nor do the fans, but it is the TARGET in an ideal world.

I TOTALLY agree with his mindset - sick of AIMING for these top-half finishes, top-ten finishes - where is the fun/ambition in that?

Sure we may well end up there given the realities of budgets and squad size but may as well mentally focus on trying to aim for promotion rather tha giving players an automatic mental ease-off immediately by saying 'we want to stay up'

As LJ said its about time the ambitions of everyone in the club changed and that includes the fans, if no one strives for something seemngly above their station, they will never achieve it

We may as well try....

I agree.

Top 12 is my lofty hope for this season and I'd be over the moon if we achieved it.

This /\. Yeovil have a lot to answer for eh?