Team as it stands

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's still wanted by Scunthorpe, as I understand it, and I think LJ has in mind to bring a couple of defenders. If he stays, I doubt he will be first choice.

I think we need him as back up, but more for his coaching ability, seems passionate about it.

Would put Montano ahead of Schmeltz based on Fridays match, appreciate his preference for the left but they swapped over at one stage so the right can't be that foreign to him.

Confident we'll see an improvement from young Sidney however as the weeks go by.

latics7.jpg

Interesting that the consensus seems to be we made and solid start. I thought we showed a lot of promise.

And we have more to come:

Yet Dayton only played for 1/2 hour

Oxley did not play

1 or 2 Centre-backs to be signed

Maybe a RB and/or another striker

So we have quite a bit more to come in.

A bit of steel and guile needed, especially in defence. For me, besides not enough goals, we let too many sloppy goals last season, and looked weak yesterday, so critical we strengthen.

If montano can be arsed theres very few better at this level. Crewe away he was unreal.

I agree gaz, he was amazing that night.

He also frustrated the :censored: out of me with several performances though.

He needs managing properly, it will be interesting to see LJ get the best from him.

I agree gaz, he was amazing that night.

He also frustrated the :censored: out of me with several performances though.

He needs managing properly, it will be interesting to see LJ get the best from him.

If LJ does get the best out of him I think we could have one of the best players in this division.

Who will then leave on a free at the end of next season... o.O #justsaying

LJ seems to have a bit more about him than previous managers, and if Montano looks a cut above, I'm sure he will tie him down with a new deal. Either that or take him with him when he gets a better offer after leading us to a play off spot.

Interesting that the consensus seems to be we made and solid start. I thought we showed a lot of promise.

Oxley did not play

A bit of steel and guile needed, especially in defence. For me, besides not enough goals, we let too many sloppy goals last season, and looked weak yesterday, so critical we strengthen.

Great effort, putting that team together, for me, we look strong going forward and there are goals in those forward players, and with strength on bench to make changes, Monty, Mellor, Clarke-Harris etc. Also the two holding players of Wes and Smith looks strong.....that defence worries me though, Grounds is sound, but we need x2 CB's and a RB for me, unless Winchester is going to be this super duper full back Johnson thinks he can be.

Where does Rooney if signed fit into this ? I can't see a slot for him - unless Baxter moves into midfield.

Oxley did not play

2 points - 1. LJ said he Winchester may have to play in RB if he wants to get into the team

2. Hopefully LJ knows that José is not a central midfielder. He only needs to watch the 3 televised cup games and then the , comparison with the Hartlepool home game to know where José's best position, the old fashioned number 10

2 points - 1. LJ said he Winchester may have to play in RB if he wants to get into the team

2. Hopefully LJ knows that José is not a central midfielder. He only needs to watch the 3 televised cup games and then the , comparison with the Hartlepool home game to know where José's best position, the old fashioned number 10

Not quite, IIRC. I'm pretty sure that LJ believes that Winchester could turn out to be a quality RB, not that he would have to play there to be in with a shout. If wrong, I stand corrected.

Not quite, IIRC. I'm pretty sure that LJ believes that Winchester could turn out to be a quality RB, not that he would have to play there to be in with a shout. If wrong, I stand corrected.

I may have mis interpreted what he said but that is how I read it

I think LJ is quick to eliminate ambiguity regarding what someone's position is meant to be. He was the same with Kirk Millar.

When I was a Personal Trainer, my mentor/tutor at the time was working directly with alot of professional footballers who were working their way back to fitness for whatever reason, usually during the summer. I asked him if he could pick one thing to change about the way that clubs train their players, what would it be. He said that players have their fitness regimes tailored according to their position.

If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. A full back, a centre midfielder, a centre back and a winger all have different physical demands and exertions to endure during the match. Those difference can be trained for. If LJ is the student of the game that we think he is, he will have picked up on this and it may be a huge factor (along with the obvious tactical differences) in telling these young players what position they will now be solely focusing on.

This is all starting to look suspiciously like something other clubs call "competition for places".

This /\

Although some of the competition comes from very young lads like Cooper, Suterland, Gossett, Truelove et all...it does look healthy; apart from CB & RB to me.

Good thing. Players pushing each other for places, and a manager who, whilst in his infancy, has shown he's not afraid to make changes.