Match Entertainment

I know this has been done to death, but I recently went to a baseball game in the states and it got me thinking how to keep the crowd entertained during games at Latics, because the Americans definitely know how to do it.

I'm not proposing random music followed by random clapping, but more things at half time to keep things interesting and get people involved:

- penalty shoot out with Chaddy/sub keeper to win a match ticket

- regular kids game, but in a corner with the main stand so people can see

- make more of the raffle

- get Chaddy more involved, if kids like him they'll be more persuaded to come

- more promotions like the pizza one a couple of seasons ago - random seat = free pizza

- competition of some sort for the subs throughout the season, maybe crossbar challenge (highest scorer gets a prize at the end of the year)

Few suggestions there, but it won't be hard to offer a free match ticket/shirt/small prize. Any other suggestions to make half time interesting?

Penalty shoot-outs are a must. They are one of the things I fondly remember from when I first started going to latics, always good to see the cocky little so and sos sending the youth team keeper the wrong way.

Good idea about having the kids matches on the other side of the pitch, they too are always good to watch. I think it was away at Rochdale last season when they had an Oldham v Rochdale school game, the Oldham school (St Joseph's, my old primary) got more support in their ten minutes than the Latics side did for the full game.

They could even bring back the crossbar challenge, they don't even have to offer a season ticket as I'm sure there are enough willing victims willing to slip and fall on their arses for our enjoyment.

I know this has been done to death, but I recently went to a baseball game in the states and it got me thinking how to keep the crowd entertained during games at Latics, because the Americans definitely know how to do it.

I'm not proposing random music followed by random clapping, but more things at half time to keep things interesting and get people involved:

- penalty shoot out with Chaddy/sub keeper to win a match ticket

- regular kids game, but in a corner with the main stand so people can see

- make more of the raffle

- get Chaddy more involved, if kids like him they'll be more persuaded to come

- more promotions like the pizza one a couple of seasons ago - random seat = free pizza

- competition of some sort for the subs throughout the season, maybe crossbar challenge (highest scorer gets a prize at the end of the year)

Few suggestions there, but it won't be hard to offer a free match ticket/shirt/small prize. Any other suggestions to make half time interesting?

The pizza thing was probably heavily subsidised by Dominos if not fully subsidised. We might need another suitable sponsor to offer the same sort of deal.

We did the crossbar challenge thing a few seasons ago (twice). There was a rumour that the lad who did it, had to seriously chase up the club to get his prize, and may not have got it in time for the first game, or even later.

It's a good idea but spending money on half time entertainment is not exactly going to reap its rewards in terms of value. Plus Baseball games drag on a little and the action is not constant to anything like the level of football.

I spoke about a playershare penalty shootout a while back but health and safety red tape makes it very difficult unfortunately. An example was given to me that if it was one of our regular wet days and the person slips and breaks their ankle, the club could be sued.

Remember a few years ago watching Latics at Northampton.At half-time they had a few people from the crowd who were drawn to take a shot from distance into the back of a brand new car to win it.Of course we'd need a generous car dealer to donate a car plus access to get the car by the edge of the BP pitch!

I spoke about a playershare penalty shootout a while back but health and safety red tape makes it very difficult unfortunately. An example was given to me that if it was one of our regular wet days and the person slips and breaks their ankle, the club could be sued.

Not getting a you C.hill but I don't see what's the difference between one penalty shoot out/hit the bar comp and a playershare one. Also the club would have public liability insurance to protect themselves from such things. Sounds like an excuse to me.

Good idea about having the kids matches on the other side of the pitch, they too are always good to watch. I think it was away at Rochdale last season when they had an Oldham v Rochdale school game, the Oldham school (St Joseph's, my old primary) got more support in their ten minutes than the Latics side did for the full game.

I work there. Was supposed to be helping with the coaching that day but decided to get pissed all day instead.

The kids loved the atmosphere : all they could talk about on the Monday...

Not getting a you C.hill but I don't see what's the difference between one penalty shoot out/hit the bar comp and a playershare one. Also the club would have public liability insurance to protect themselves from such things. Sounds like an excuse to me.

No, i totally agree with you. Could well be an excuse but just letting you no where i got to with it.

Why don't they swallow their pride and apologise to Chinese Elvis. The crowd at half time were putty in his hands as he ran round the pitch waving.....i'm not even 100% sure that he was Chinese.

He wasn't really Chinese, and I'll let you into another secret.... Chaddy and rummy aren't really owls!

There will be a regular kids game at HT, as part of the "team of the week" scheme. It was introduced towards the back end of last season which saw a team perform a guard of honour as the players come out, play on the pitch at HT and recieving a write in both the programme and website.

Always good to watch, just a shame only half of the caddy had a good view! The game would be better for everyone on the main stand side.

Half time lasts 15 minutes.

That's 5 to go to the bog, 5 to queue up for a pie (and be disappointed) a couple to get back to your place.

Who needs entertainment for the three spare minutes?

Edited by Dave_Og

There will be a regular kids game at HT, as part of the "team of the week" scheme. It was introduced towards the back end of last season which saw a team perform a guard of honour as the players come out, play on the pitch at HT and recieving a write in both the programme and website.

The team you had against Crawley a work mates son played in that one and enjoyed it to be. Some of there parents where sat alongside us and seemed to enjoy it also.

I know this has been done to death, but I recently went to a baseball game in the states

Despite the fact you began your post with this, I managed to force myself to carry on. I would say we should do all your suggestions, apart from the one involving the substitutes.

Despite the fact you began your post with this, I managed to force myself to carry on. I would say we should do all your suggestions, apart from the one involving the substitutes.

Apologies for that, it was the baseball that got me thinking.

My suggestions are only suggestions, if people want a piss and a pie then go for it, but for me half time is boring

Why don't they swallow their pride and apologise to Chinese Elvis. The crowd at half time were putty in his hands as he ran round the pitch waving.....i'm not even 100% sure that he was Chinese.

How did they upset (non) Chinese Elvis?

How about a Pie-Eating showdown, first one to down 3 pies is the winner without any liquid to wash them down.

1st Prize - 5 pies to take home for the family.

2nd Prize - 10 pies.

They've not far to go to hospital either when the bacteria kicks in.

Probably run out of pies halfway through the competition.

We don't want his sort....not at our club. Shoddy treatment indeed. Nor is playershare asking for £1,700 a pop either!!

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/fans-fume-messi-no-show-paying-1-700-084925954.html

Feel a bit sorry for the kid, but if theyve got that kind of cash to chuck about I'm sure he will be ok. Probably the agents fault anyway, Messi is god, it was in no way his fault!