• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy enough currently with our centre back situation. If Byrne, Tarky, Eddie and Belezika are proven that they aren't good enough for this season then so be it, we can get a centre back in on loan or in January. But I'd much rather we give Tarky regular football and the chance to sink or swim rather than bringing in someone from elsewhere.

One thing I'm looking for a big improvement from LJ compared to Dickov this year is how he utilises and develops our youngsters as it's something he needs to do well to keep his job with us long term (or anywhere for that matter) and Dickov failed badly at that last season.

I'm happy enough currently with our centre back situation. If Byrne, Tarky, Eddie and Belezika are proven that they aren't good enough for this season then so be it, we can get a centre back in on loan or in January. But I'd much rather we give Tarky regular football and the chance to sink or swim rather than bringing in someone from elsewhere.

One thing I'm looking for a big improvement from LJ compared to Dickov this year is how he utilises and develops our youngsters as it's something he needs to do well to keep his job with us long term (or anywhere for that matter) and Dickov failed badly at that last season.

For me, the defence is a big worry. Tarky is a talented kid but doesn't fill me with confidence; Byrne is a top notch defender but has zero pace; from what little I've seen I'm not convinced by Belezika; and the young Latvian seems to be seen as one for the future.

Add to that we've got no real back-up to Grounds at left-back and seemingly Brown, who is garbage, is first choice right-back and doesn't even have any competition for the right-back berth.

If this is how we're planning to go into the season, I believe Oxley is going to be a busy young man.

I can't see any more signings at full back. Brown seems to be first choice (I'm not getting involved in that debate) with Winchester as backup. Grounds is clearly first choice at left back, I guess with Truelove as backup. Yes he's young, but he can step in until a loan signing is brought in if Grounds is injured or out of form. I don't think we have the budget for a squad with two experienced left backs permanently in place.

At centre back I agree with Stevie - Tarky is't the finished article, Byrne lacks pace, and Belezika and Joksts clearly aren't ready to play most of a season. (Belezika needs a loan spell a division or two down to help his development, I reckon.) I can see us bringing in someone on loan like Reece Brown previously - talented but inexperienced - but only a permanent signing if Byrne moves on.

If we sign an experienced CB we'd only be able to attract another Byrne in all likelihood. And we've got one of them (which is good).

Tarky, Belezika & Eddie could all be better players than Byrne's ever been by the end of the season if given a run.

Likewise a Prem or Championship loanee.

Unless there are any Gregan's out there?

(I'd still love the Ian Evatt rumour to have not been a wind up though)

Like most are saying, I'm very uncomfortable with the CBs at the moment. From the short viewing from last season it's clear Belezika isn't ready for 1st team action just yet, I'd guess it's very much the same case with Latvian Eddie which leaves Tarkowski, Byrne (who will be coupling that with a coaching role) and a not yet signed young loanee.

That's not enough quality in the starting 2 positions never mind cover for those places.

From the recent friendlies it seems like LJ is considering converting Mellor from his central midfield position to a centre back which would be very disappointing after Mellor's form last year (which LJ obviously witnessed making that decision even more surprising).

LJ has now said he's 95% finished with his signings, which is fine in midfield and attack because we look strong in both, but in defence especially CB we need another experienced leader with a young loanee.

It's 2 weeks until the start of the season, a lot of the PL teams are out of the country, no doubt taking some of our targets with them. I expect LDJ to bring someone in by then. If not the transfer window is open for another 6 weeks. I'm not too worried about starting the season with the defenders we have. Let's not panic just yet.

I think we're relying on Lee Johnson's ability to bring the best out of any youngsters thrown in to the team.

Hopefully the fans will be patient!

+1

Johnson's no mug as he proved at the end of last season, This closed season he'll of had a good weigh up of what's needed firstly to Stay up and secondly to move forward.

It takes time, money and know how for this to come to fruition but I'm satisfied the right man was installed and he'll come good!