Matthew Bates / Mark Wilson

Been chatting to a Bristol City season ticket holder and he seems to think that LJ is hoping to bring in a couple of their defenders from last season.

Matthew Bates centre half ex Boro player

Mark Wilson right back ex Celtic player

Both now available on a free after their release from the club.

How true this is i don't know but due to our defensive shortcomings and LJ obvious connections with his old club. Would this rumour be that wide of the mark.

Been chatting to a Bristol City season ticket holder and he seems to think that LJ is hoping to bring in a couple of their defenders from last season.

Matthew Bates centre half ex Boro player

Mark Wilson right back ex Celtic player

Both now available on a free after their release from the club.

How true this is i don't know but due to our defensive shortcomings and LJ obvious connections with his old club. Would this rumour be that wide of the mark.

Bates at 5' 10" seems lacking in height for a centre back and has had some serious knee injuries.

Wilson might be a useful addition, it's only a couple of years ago since he won a full Scottish international cap,.

Bates at 5' 10" seems lacking in height for a centre back and has had some serious knee injuries.

Wilson might be a useful addition, it's only a couple of years ago since he won a full Scottish international cap,.

Wasn't that the case with Iwelumo :naughty:

5ft 10 might be on the short side for a centre half but over a hundred games for boro in the premier league and championship is not a bad level. Could be the experiance LJ is after and only 26 years old fits the LJ long term plan.

All has gone quiet on the Ian Evatt rumour if there was ever any truth in it.

to be fair, we do need RB cover and one CB minimum, maybe 2

I'd ship Wes out - don't need him as much as he does try and isn't too bad a midfielder, but we have other options and other needs.

Lets speculate Wes is on £1800pw

For that money, we could get a decent CB/RB for £1k a week and the £800 towards a loan RB/CB and keep Byrne as cover/coach - should he want to go back to Scunny as he still lives there I believe, then fine.

OR

SC says yes LJ we can sign Wilson and Bates on the offset that Baxter is sold in Jan.....................................

Would you do it? I would not want to lose Baxter at this stage, ok he isn't the all-commanding AM/CM, but he can change a game in an instant and the forward players we now have will thrive off him once we settle down into a few games and they begin to gel, Rooney as well up top don't forget.

That's how i'd do it anyway, bye bye Wes, possibly Byrne although with Cliff i'm sure personal and not football reasons dictate aka communting and such like.

Thoughts?

5ft 10 might be on the short side for a centre half but over a hundred games for boro in the premier league and championship is not a bad level. Could be the experiance LJ is after and only 26 years old fits the LJ long term plan.

All has gone quiet on the Ian Evatt rumour if there was ever any truth in it.

If we want short centre halfs we need look no further than David Mellor Edited by Oafc1895

Puyol 5'10", Canavarro 5'9 and a half. World class.

Zat knight, Anton Ferdinand. About 8'. And :censored:e.

These were the lines I was thinking along, If Puyol was to sign for us there would be uproar " We need a 6' 6" lump not a dwarf". My arse

He is 6' 2"

Fair play then, didn't think he was that tall.

Don't understand why Johnson said of Mellor (as quoted from The Advertiser) "People say he isn't tall enough but Barcelona play with a 5'6" centre half. I know we're Oldham and it will be horses for courses but he has the potential to be the best ball-playing centre half in the league"

Why not just say he's 6'2" so he is tall enough...