Centre Back Pairing.

There's been a lot of discussions on here about who should start out of the 5 options we have but I'm thinking more of a pairing.

An objective view of each choice:

Byrne - experienced, leader, slow, uncompromising.

Tarkowski - excellent at set pieces and bringing the ball out, slow, still has an error in his game either by poor positional sense or over confidence but getting better, future leader.

Mellor - excellent as cover but just not a CH.

Belezika - quick, brave, no footballing skills.

Eddie - tall, largely invisible.

Whatever pairing we pick is a gamble, whether it be lack of pace or lack of experience. I know I'm going to risk the wrath of some on here by benching Tarky but I would go for Byrne and Belezika to give us experience and some pace.

Pity we didn't sign Joey Jones, who looked so good on trial against Manchester City, you never know though if he doesn't catch at Yeovil LJs s dad may loan him out to the Latics.

Edited by BP1960

I'd play Mellor and Tarky. Ok Mellor has been a bit of a worry during preseason, but if LJ sees him as our eventual ball playing centre back then he will only improve the more matches he plays. We play a high defensive line so playing Byrne their who has no pace might be just as suicidal.

I'd play Mellor and Tarky. Ok Mellor has been a bit of a worry during preseason, but if LJ sees him as our eventual ball playing centre back then he will only improve the more matches he plays. We play a high defensive line so playing Byrne their who has no pace might be just as suicidal.

This to a degree...

It all depends what tactics LJ decides to play at Stevenage. I would be surprised if he deviates much from the last 2 pre season games with a high line with Mellor and Tarky. Even if he does bring in an additional CB before Saturday I have a feeling he will go with Mellor and Tarky this week as he seems the type to make people earn their place...

Everyone knows how Stevenage will play. Long ball for quick forwards to chase. So it's got to be Tarky and Mellor. If we can play it out of defence we should have a lot of possession with them hoofing it back to us all the time

Mellor isn't a centre half, so shouldn't be played there if we have other, better options. Which we do.

Byrne should play at the back with Tarkowski. We have a young team, and we could do with the experience. He might be slow, but he can make up for that with his positional sense.

I hope we will be signing someone better though.

I think a lot of people are being a bit harsh on mellor at centre back. I think if you take away that mistake on saturday, he has had a good pre- season at centre back. Obviously not always against quality opposition, but i think he could be great after a few games there and he gets to know the position better. After all, after his great performances towards the end of last season, i think he definately deserves his place, whatever the position.

I think a lot of people are being a bit harsh on mellor at centre back. I think if you take away that mistake on saturday, he has had a good pre- season at centre back. Obviously not always against quality opposition, but i think he could be great after a few games there and he gets to know the position better. After all, after his great performances towards the end of last season, i think he definately deserves his place, whatever the position.

Even though I would still play him as centre back in the hope he improves, having watched him against Accrington he's an accident waiting to happen. His positioning was shocking and on two occasions in the first half he got on the wrong side of the striker and only a last ditch tackle prevented them having a 1v1 opportunity.

It's gotta be Mellor and Tarky, Mellor has a football brain so will at least learn the position, what's Byrne gonna do, learn to run quicker and learn to stop lumping the ball in to the corners.....no chance.

Thats my point aswell. If we had the money to bring in a decent centre half it would solve all problems.... but we dont. Instead we have to use what we have got and mellor is the best we have.

As the idea is to score more rather than concede less goals than the opposition it is going to be Tarky and Mellor. People are going to get rather excited when things go wrong but I believe this is a team in the making for next year and LJ has to play players with potential over those with experience.

It's gotta be Mellor and Tarky, Mellor has a football brain so will at least learn the position, what's Byrne gonna do, learn to run quicker and learn to stop lumping the ball in to the corners.....no chance.

we all want an experienced cb to sign yet fans are willing to leave out the most experienced defender. eh?

we all want an experienced cb to sign yet fans are willing to leave out the most experienced defender. eh?

Getting an experienced defender isn't the opinion shared by everyone though, just like the opinion that we "needed" an experienced manager. It's new ideas that are needed at latics instead of the same old rubbish. We've gone for experience before, same ideas recycled, lets go for youth and new ideas for a change, just as we have with appointing a young hungry manager. Mellors the man for me, good on the ball, intelligent as a footballer and ready and able to better the team.

P.S. I've never rated Byrne

Edited by bozzy108

Getting an experienced defender isn't the opinion shared by everyone though, just like the opinion that we "needed" an experienced manager. It's new ideas that are needed at latics instead of the same old rubbish. We've gone for experience before, same ideas recycled, lets go for youth and new ideas for a change, just as we have with appointing a young hungry manager. Mellors the man for me, good on the ball, intelligent as a footballer and ready and able to better the team.

P.S. I've never rated Byrne

Dickov like?

As much as I like Byrne I'm not sure if he fits LJ's style of play, that's why Mellor has had as much game time as he's had. Mellor is a worry and if possible I'd eventually like us to sign a footballing centre back that has a bit of pace if that means an unproven loan from a higher division then so be it.