Conceding just before half-time with a very young side we could have folded 2nd period but to come back out like that and then after being 3-1 up and being pegged back to again go down the other end straight away and earn a penalty requires character that you can not teach in players

You could pick the bones out of conceding 3 but scoring 4 in one half away from home as a new young side bodes very well for the season ahead. It was massive to win after leading 3-1 and get the 1st points and away victory on the board against a side I would expect to be in the bottom 6 come the end of the season

Fair play to all the scouting team and of course LJ but also the players. You can do all the work all week in the world but to show hunger and character to win a game at what could have been a really difficult place to go is 1st class

If fans dont get excited and come back after seeing results like that they will have to be classed as lost fans who we will never see other than the glamour tie cup games

3pts in & winnable next week but even if we go a point v Walsall 4pts from 6 would be a very solid start

Enjoy your Saturday night!!!

Conceding just before half-time with a very young side we could have folded 2nd period but to come back out like that and then after being 3-1 up and being pegged back to again go down the other end straight away and earn a penalty requires character that you can not teach in players

You could pick the bones out of conceding 3 but scoring 4 in one half away from home as a new young side bodes very well for the season ahead. It was massive to win after leading 3-1 and get the 1st points and away victory on the board against a side I would expect to be in the bottom 6 come the end of the season

Fair play to all the scouting team and of course LJ but also the players. You can do all the work all week in the world but to show hunger and character to win a game at what could have been a really difficult place to go is 1st class

If fans dont get excited and come back after seeing results like that they will have to be classed as lost fans who we will never see other than the glamour tie cup games

3pts in & winnable next week but even if we go a point v Walsall 4pts from 6 would be a very solid start

Enjoy your Saturday night!!!

I think we all need to keep our feet on the ground. I'm really pleased we looked so dangerous and played some really good football by all accounts but the defence is a major issue. I can see us hammering some teams this season but probably being on the wrong end of a few as well. I'd prefer to finish mid table winning and losing 5 goal+ thrillers though than the Dave Penney way.

I think next season we'll be a real threat for a place in the play offs, this season is going to be both very entertaining but probably also a bit frustrating I think. really good start though, looking forward to the Derby game.

LJ intimated in the managers meeting that he was unsure whether to bring in a CB on loan so as to not upset the squad harmony......this could be a blessing in disguise as it will surely make him realise it could make a massive difference to our season......I honestly think if we could get a good increase in attendance against Walsall on Saturday then it may help persuade SC to speculate a bit more

Results like today should bring "the lost" back, it could be a slow process though, unfortunately the way games are covered, ie Latics player, it is easy to stay indoors when it gets to winter games. But if we can start putting 5000 or even 6000 inside BP it would make all the difference to the team. I realise football is a luxury to those who have to watch the pennies, but there are still a lot of Latics fans who could afford to go the games but simply choose not to. Attacking football is exciting, the thing to remember is that occasionally someone will rip you apart. Tuesday should be a good measure of where we are as a team, I fully expect Derby to beat us, but if we give it a go, and entertain, then we could see bums being put back on seats at BP. Keep the faith.

Great performance going forward, great character to wrestle the three points away from Stevenage. The defence was as most of us expected. Lack of a dominant figure to clear everything and the left side went missing too often. Grounds distribution was woeful as was his defending. So there's work to be done but a very encouraging start.

Results like today should bring "the lost" back, it could be a slow process though, unfortunately the way games are covered, ie Latics player, it is easy to stay indoors when it gets to winter games. But if we can start putting 5000 or even 6000 inside BP it would make all the difference to the team. I realise football is a luxury to those who have to watch the pennies, but there are still a lot of Latics fans who could afford to go the games but simply choose not to. Attacking football is exciting, the thing to remember is that occasionally someone will rip you apart. Tuesday should be a good measure of where we are as a team, I fully expect Derby to beat us, but if we give it a go, and entertain, then we could see bums being put back on seats at BP. Keep the faith.

The 'lost' are certainly running out of excuses

LJ intimated in the managers meeting that he was unsure whether to bring in a CB on loan so as to not upset the squad harmony......this could be a blessing in disguise as it will surely make him realise it could make a massive difference to our season......I honestly think if we could get a good increase in attendance against Walsall on Saturday then it may help persuade SC to speculate a bit more

Unfortunately SC can't speculate any more, we are up to the limit on the amount we are allowed to spend. In fact we are slightly overspent. To bring in the CB on loan we will have to send others out on loan. LJ intimated that they could bring in a player out of contract and pay him week to week,until room could be made in the budget.

Unfortunately SC can't speculate any more, we are up to the limit on the amount we are allowed to spend. In fact we are slightly overspent. To bring in the CB on loan we will have to send others out on loan. LJ intimated that they could bring in a player out of contract and pay him week to week,until room could be made in the budget.

Does that alter if we beat Derby? It might mean additional money coming in that should be currently unbudgeted for; mainly from gate receipts.

I attended one game last season. Liverpool. I had a ticket for Everton at home and gave it to my nephew to stay out on the booze with mates.

I'll be there on Tuesday and Saturday.

We do need to sign two centre backs though.

I didn't go to many more, though not all just down to apathy, it's amazing how a winning team can make you that little bit more determined to ; find a babysitter, miss the pub, borrow some cash, ask your boss for some time off...etc

You missed out on the Everton game - for me the atmosphere in the RRE was very special. Right up there with best gigs, the best football matches, eveything for me....

The 'lost' are certainly running out of excuses

This gives the impression that there are legions of old fans milling about, avoiding going and making stuff up to not go back, which sounds a bit daft. The 5000-6000 number is wild. I'd say that there are a great deal of fans who used to go that have completely switched off, and won't be coming back; and the internet is not a very good measure of how the odd win will get them back and make them stay back.

I'm guessing the only remedy is promotion.

I reckon these fans don't exist in any amount of numbers to make a difference in L1, it's up to the the current manager and team to make Oldham Athletic successful, where success means promotion - I'm sure we all agree that success for many (and realistically) means survival, and that ain't going to win anybody back. It's a sad state of affairs but I have a feeling it's the status quo for teams on this budget at this level.

By all means get giddy over a 4-3 win over - yes I'm going to say it - potential fellow strugglers, however I'd argue that the oldest of heads and the most senior of supporters would still say - "hang on a minute, let's see where we are at Christmas".

Having said all that I suppose football is half dreaming and half washout.

Happy as :censored: I am! :lol:

This gives the impression that there are legions of old fans milling about, avoiding going and making stuff up to not go back, which sounds a bit daft. The 5000-6000 number is wild. I'd say that there are a great deal of fans who used to go that have completely switched off, and won't be coming back; and the internet is not a very good measure of how the odd win will get them back and make them stay back.

I'm guessing the only remedy is promotion.

I reckon these fans don't exist in any amount of numbers to make a difference in L1, it's up to the the current manager and team to make Oldham Athletic successful, where success means promotion - I'm sure we all agree that success for many (and realistically) means survival, and that ain't going to win anybody back. It's a sad state of affairs but I have a feeling it's the status quo for teams on this budget at this level.

By all means get giddy over a 4-3 win over - yes I'm going to say it - potential fellow strugglers, however I'd argue that the oldest of heads and the most senior of supporters would still say - "hang on a minute, let's see where we are at Christmas".

Having said all that I suppose football is half dreaming and half washout.

Happy as :censored: I am! :lol:

Very good point and I'd like to add there will be a decent number of Oldham fans who would like to have gone even when we have been struggling and playing relatively dull football but who couldn't afford it. Until they can afford it they won't be coming back on a regular basis, no matter how well we are doing and how exciting the games are. In fact success could mean a price rise, further pricing these people out of attending.

The point I was trying to make was the same as SC at the meeting......beat Derby and get a few more on the gate next weekend he may speculate......he has already saidctheybare looking at ways around the FPP by using appearance money etc

Like I said in another thread you've got to take your hat off to Stevenage too. I think most sides would have dropped their heads and gone into damage limitation when we bagged the 3rd because we were exploiting their lack of pace at the back but instead they hit back and pressed us even more. It meant that we couldn't lower the tempo of the game