Wesolowski

Yeah, but a CB rather than RB.

You mean Cliff Byrne?

See above.

Edit: no worries. I can't dont see Cliff as the big dominating CB we need. Yes he could play there, someone mentioned Gregan, I'd have a player like that in there. Someone with a solid ten years or so in the championship dropping down.

Edited by blueatheart

Wes is just simply poor. He offers nothing going forward and tonight when he came on could not even make a pass. When a defensive midfielder comes on they are expected to take more control in midfield, but wes did exactly the opposite. He gave the ball away, he didnt make any challenges in midfield. I agree with many on here he is on to high of a wage to simply sit on the bench and have no impact when he comes on. Get him out and get a decent CB in. KTF!

I actually thought Wes, did OK, he made a vital contribution covering back to help rhe defence out at one stage. Bringing Millar on as a false 9 was the bigger error IMHO, especially for the 10 minutes or so we lumped it up to him, he wasn't going to win any of those balls ever.

If he wanted to shore up midfield I'd have preferred LDJ to bring Cliff Byrne on and push Mellor further forward. Byrne would have shored up the back four, especially cutting out the naivety that Tarky and Mellor showed. Then Mellor could have contributed in midfield especially with his added physical presence compared to Wes.

Squad was rotated tonight, a few had knocks on Saturday and they all have another game on this Saturday. We are going to need all that squad match fit and involved throughout the season rather than on sidelines gripeing and lacking match fitness.

May is a long time away.

Wes is a reasonable midfielder at this level, he can tackle, he can pass, he isn't a game winner but certainly someone who can be very effective when you need some bite in the middle.

He didn't have a great game against Derby, he wasn't necessarily what was required but this criticism is a little ridiculous. I can't help but think it will continue regardless of performances as he's certainly the face of the 'old guard' of what remains of Dickov's team. I think Korey Smith is a far better midfielder but it doesn't mean Wes is useless.

Erm before we start criticising tactics, can we remember we were playing in the tin pot cup, 3 days after an epic first game of the season, 4 days from playing a nearly play off team at home.

I would suggest that they were the deciding factors behind the subs

Wes is a very decent league one player. Was in previous seasons and not passed it yet. By the time Wes came on last night Derby were on top, dictating the flow (or non flow) of the game with no pressure being mounted once JCH and Dayton had departed. Unfortunately he didn't make the desired difference hoped for.

Now of you was to ask me could Latics utilize the money of Wesso's wage better given the squad we have, then I'd say probably yes. This doesn't make Wes useless though does it?

Yeah but unfortunately he could well go down as another player dickov ruined. Aka tonks, simpson etc

And I don't buy Dickov ruined him either. He wasn't a young kid who hadn't been coached prior. Look back to the threads where many were posting we missed wes whilst injured. LJ's doesn't rate him a starter in his style, for what it's worth given the squad and style we have I also believe Wes should leave but, only to use his wage in other area's.

Edited by Lags

Erm before we start criticising tactics, can we remember we were playing in the tin pot cup, 3 days after an epic first game of the season, 4 days from playing a nearly play off team at home.

I would suggest that they were the deciding factors behind the subs

Dont you mean a current automatic promotion team? 2nd vs 3rd on Saturday, could go a long way to deciding the title this one.

Wes Out