A bit harsh on Schmeltz. I thought he was very good considering that was his first league start (I think?). The final ball will only get better with practice and he should get more composed the more he plays.

To say Baxter wouldn't have made a difference is bizarre. That type of player was exactly what we were missing.

We might have had more success from the wings if they had to worry about us through the middle aswell.

Playing devils advocate... Baxter played in the 0-1 against Walsall. I can't comment on the 2 games as I wasn't there for either but by all accounts the team performance against Walsall was worse.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re Baxter: A properly used Baxter would have made a difference, yesterday. However, I'm inclined to think he wouldn't have been properly used for the circumstances. As I think his role would have been very similar to Rusnak's, coming on for JCH, as opposed to coming on for Wes, which was probably the better use for the pair of them. That would have still left Adam isolated towards the end. I think Baxter would have contributed more than Albert but used the way he probably would have been I don't think he would have made the difference.

Re Schmeltz, his party tricks are all well and good but he over-used them and often lost possession doing so. The final ball was lacking yesterday and Schmeltz's delivery, from open play, was probably the worst but neither Dayton nor Monty were good in that area. It's a telling situation when the best cross from an Oldham player came from our centre-half with what IIRC was his wrong foot. It was that good a cross that I think our forwards were surprised by it and so weren't attacking it the way they should have been.

Our delivery from corners wasn't good yesterday either, and that is potentially one area where Baxter would have made a difference. But his delivery from corners is variable too and I don't recall that many corners after when he probably would have come on, see above.

that was my first game of the season for various reasons.

i think on the balance of play nine times out of ten we'd win that game easily.

we showed flashes of really good stuff at times and we were a good watch.

until the last minute i was pretty pleased, if frustrated we weren't ahead.

the new fullback was great. i thought mills was good defensively but his distribution was dire. the two CBs were both excellent.

the middle of midfield was very one dimensional. i forgot korey smith was on the pitch for long stretches of the game. maybe that's more to do with tranmere having no aspirations beyond getting a 0-0.

surprised to see schmeltz getting some stick on here. yes there was no end product but he was way, way more dangerous than dayton and montano on the day.

sadly the substitutions were a bit baffling and pretty much made the result possible for me. with rooney up front on his own our threat pretty much disintegrated and the game became incredibly scrappy. just what tranmere wanted. i'm sure the plan was to try and draw their CBs out a bit more and move them around but it didn't work at all. goodison won't have an easier game all season.

loads of good signs though, and a much better team to watch than we've seen for a long time.

I think Lanzoni's 'lack of fitness' is being a bit over egged, he was definitely injured late on and had put a proper shift in too in his first game at this level.

I thought Grounds was the one who let the ball bounce on a few occasions, the only reason I had to complain with the back four, who, given a few mistakes that are inevitable at our level, really played very well.

You should have seen Johnson take his coat off, throw to the floor and kick it about, to say he was livid..... :ranting:

After calming down from yesterday, in hindsight I think Lanzoni had to compensate for Sydneys lack of defensive cover so he left Lanzoni to pick up his pieces.

I to think the defence was consistent, that's why I give them all 7's. I think Grounds and Tarky, given time to fully click, would be our first choice partnership if we didn't have a centre half coming in and no other perminent left back.

I was too busy sat down, sulking and questioning the refs ability to do his job once he pointed to the spot to notice johnsons tantrum! I don't suppose anyone just happened to be recording johnson as he did it would they? No, didn't think so...

the front 2 arn,t the problem, its the wide men, NO quality service all day, appaulling crossing, what does dayton do ? another poor display from him to go with all his others and gutless too, we are too easy to close down , they played with a narrow diamond in the midfield cos they knew the service in would be poor, goodison was MOM and could play until he was 50 if he played against us every week,

the front 2 arn,t the problem, its the wide men, NO quality service all day, appaulling crossing, what does dayton do ? another poor display from him to go with all his others and gutless too, we are too easy to close down , they played with a narrow diamond in the midfield cos they knew the service in would be poor, goodison was MOM and could play until he was 50 if he played against us every week,

Trying too hard synic

Connor Brown is this years boo boy not Dayton... Wait till next season for this. I really don't see the problem with Dayton, in the three games I've seen him he's scored a peach and been steady of not setting the world on fire, and one I listened to he sounded unplayable. Yes he was hit and miss on his deliveries yesterday but so were the whole team. Midfield seemed to not push up which led to both Rooney and Clarke-Harris dropping far too deep and wide to receive the ball. Several times I found myself saying "what's Rooney doing there" - against Port Vale we had players lining up in the box, for whatever reason yesterday there didn't seem that same desire to do the same

Connor Brown is this years boo boy not Dayton... Wait till next season for this. I really don't see the problem with Dayton, in the three games I've seen him he's scored a peach and been steady of not setting the world on fire, and one I listened to he sounded unplayable. Yes he was hit and miss on his deliveries yesterday but so were the whole team. Midfield seemed to not push up which led to both Rooney and Clarke-Harris dropping far too deep and wide to receive the ball. Several times I found myself saying "what's Rooney doing there" - against Port Vale we had players lining up in the box, for whatever reason yesterday there didn't seem that same desire to do the same

I wasn't impressed with Dayton's work rate

Sid on the other hand pleasantly surprised me with his..

Edited by welshgaz

I wasn't impressed with Dayton's work rate

Sid on the other hand pleasantly surprised me with his..

Yet his end product was bloody woefull... Yet he excites me. Dayton has quality, he's just one of those players that won't run about ala Warne or Cooksey... If he scores a few more like against Port Vale I can live with that

You're forcing it too much now...

Let it flow, the fishing will be easier...

All this talk of a lack of creativity in midfield is absurd. Remind me; who played in the middle against port vale? One of best performance's at home in long, long, time. We were right on top for 70 mins y'day with same pair in the middle.

Comparisons to last season are just plain wrong, for the basic fact that while wes tends to sit- he still crosses the halfway line, an smith is always looking to drive us a forward. Didn't see that once last year. The last three games the overall performances have been really good. I would have smith in the middle over Jose any day of the week. He's a better all round footballer. Yes, yes, I rate Baxter as well. . . Just not in midfield.

We were niaive yesterday. That will happen with a young side. We need to learn how to see games out - Especially against Ronnie f**king Moore.

All this talk of a lack of creativity in midfield is absurd. Remind me; who played in the middle against port vale? One of best performance's at home in long, long, time. We were right on top for 70 mins y'day with same pair in the middle..

Port Vale had a go at us leaving themselves open.

Tranmere didn't. A lot of other visiting teams won't. We need a centre mid who can pick a pass or make a run for these games.

Or any games. They're a good kind of player to have.

Port Vale had a go at us leaving themselves open.

Tranmere didn't. A lot of other visiting teams won't. We need a centre mid who can pick a pass or make a run for these games.

Or any games. They're a good kind of player to have.

Or you need your wingers to play really well, which they didn't yesterday and they won't quite often (they are 3rd division players after all).

If either of the wingers could have put in a decent final ball yesterday, it might have compensated for the lack of creativity from the centre of the park.

Or you need your wingers to play really well, which they didn't yesterday and they won't quite often (they are 3rd division players after all).

If either of the wingers could have put in a decent final ball yesterday, it might have compensated for the lack of creativity from the centre of the park.

You can't just rely on the wingers week in week out, teams will just mark them out of the game, job done. We need somebody in there that could cause a few problems and carry it forward. At the minute I really don't think teams have to worry too much about the middle of the park. Edited by dec666

If Rooney had half a footballing brain he would have started making runs to where he DIDN'T expect the cross to go.