Lee Johnson - August Report

So - five league games in:

• Two victories, three defeats.
  • Failed to score in two out of three home games.
  • Knocked out of the Capital One cup at home.
  • Best player sold.
  • Loanee left back for a month.
  • Left back playing centre back.
  • Two short term (4 months) contracts handed out.
  • 19 year old midfielder loaned from Citeh.
  • Goalkeeper on a year loan who is looking decidedly wobbly.
  • Son of the youth team coach signed on a two year contract but yet to feature.
  • Son of Liverpool boss given a contract.
  • Defeat at Preston in the next game that would see us drop perilously close to the bottom four.

However....

• Best squad in a long time
  • Attacking approach to the game
  • This team has goals in it
  • Just need a quality experienced centre back
  • Long way to go
  • There is life after JB

Positive vibes all around the club - keep the faith? Probably...

• Defeat at Preston in the next game that would see us drop perilously close to the bottom four.

The fact that these are pretty poor excuses for 'negatives' is probably a good thing.

The 'Howevers' content being the kind of postings I like, only spoiled by the innuendoes in the first part of the post.

This Manager has shown more life, more genuine desire, better ideas, more openness and honesty, more knowledge and certainly a great database on footballers, he's clearly building a solid team , some of whom may stay, others may not, Imho....he's generally got more in him than the previous 3 Managers before him.

Why some Latics fans have developed this strange want to whinge, moan and undermine, Managers, players, the Owner of the club absolutely baffles me and does nothing to encourage the lost fans back to B.P.

• Two victories, three defeats.
  • Failed to score in two out of three home games.
  • Knocked out of the Capital One cup at home.
  • Best player sold.
  • Goalkeeper on a year loan who is looking decidedly wobbly.

You don't rate him at all do you?

You haven't even given him that long either have you?

Jesus, this place used to be tiring when we didn't even allow the manager a year or 2.....now it's a few months.

You don't rate him at all do you?

You haven't even given him that long either have you?

Jesus, this place used to be tiring when we didn't even allow the manager a year or 2.....now it's a few months.

The post was intended to present in bullet form a summary of what took place during August - and I don't believe that any of the points are factually incorrect?

The However section reflects that despite this, there is still a positive feel good factor around the club despite the uncertain start - so a good thing.

At no point is there any criticism of the manager and what he has done in his short time here - we all know how tough the job is - and I am solidly behind LJ. I also know that this is very much work in progress and do not for one second doubt that he will succeed.

Just thought the facts make interesting reading - and my belief, though not quite as strong as before the first game, is still very much that Lee Johnson is the right man for the job. And he cuts a dapper figure on the touchline - even when he is volleying his coat into the stand :omg:

Edited by TheBigDog

• Two victories, three defeats. Better than five defeats
  • Failed to score in two out of three home games. The goals will come
  • Knocked out of the Capital One cup at home. By a quality Championship side
  • Best player sold. He's gone..let's move on
  • Loanee left back for a month. Hopefully extended
  • Left back playing centre back. He plays well in that position..we now have more options
  • Two short term (4 months) contracts handed out. Better safe than sorry
  • 19 year old midfielder loaned from Citeh. Good move
  • Goalkeeper on a year loan who is looking decidedly wobbly. ALL goalkeepers have wobbles
  • Son of the youth team coach signed on a two year contract but yet to feature. Shrewd business
  • Son of Liverpool boss given a contract. Solid midfielder
  • Defeat at Preston in the next game that would see us drop perilously close to the bottom four. After only six games..not a worry

However....

• Best squad in a long time Agreed
  • Attacking approach to the game Exciting
  • This team has goals in it Definitely
  • Just need a quality experienced centre back May have just signed one
  • Long way to go Exactly
  • There is life after JB Absolutely

Positive vibes all around the club - keep the faith? Probably... Again, definitely

I'm not knocking your observations, as they are factual, but maybe it would have been better to do them in a different order.

Preston in my opinion have the best possible manager on paper. Yet have only one win in 5. Im pretty sure their fans aint calling for his head or making pretty stupid posts on the forums. Carlisle have shipped ridiculous amounts of goals while coventry are i dire straights off the field. If we were in either of their situations id be worried and moaning. We aint. So im enjoying my football as every other fan on this forum should be.

At no point is there any criticism of the manager and what he has done in his short time here - we all know how tough the job is - and I am solidly behind LJ. I also know that this is very much work in progress and do not for one second doubt that he will succeed.

Nah, I ain't having that. You had a moan last week stating that you blamed him for the sale of Baxter, so come on......be honest.

Nah, I ain't having that. You had a moan last week stating that you blamed him for the sale of Baxter, so come on......be honest.

Nope - never blamed the manager for the sale - it was a comment on the mentality within the club - also just stated that I did not agree with the sale - an opinion that I still hold - and that my positivity was slightly reduced. No blame just an expression of disappointment.

My belief in LJ's ability is , and always will be, tinged with a dose of reality - but my belief still remains.

And what sort of board is this if we cannot express an opinion?

Honest enough for ya? :smoking:

Jesus holy :censored:. Some posters on here could start a row in an empty room. Pointless thread? It's a :censored:ing forum?! How are you supposed to discuss anything if someone doesn't bring forward a positive or negative argument in the first place? I honestly believe some people on here genuinley think they are some sort of oracle on all things concerning Latics and refuse to take anybody else's opinions on board.

Big Dog, I think it's a good thread, and I for one agree. I think there is still a good vibe around the club. I might slightly lower my opinion by one or two percent if we let Tarky go but I think we're on the right track. All in all it's been an interesting August, and but for the two frigging bad penalty decisions on Saturday we could be joint 4th.

Heres to an even more interesting September.

It was evidently a flat peformance from the lads on Saturday, we never looked like overloading the box, getting on the end of crosses, those that beat the first man.

I've come to an early conclusion that the way the team is set up, we will benefit a great deal more from playing away from home, ie PNE, where they will come at us and have a go and we can attack on the break.

Out of all the home fixtures, the one we won was against a team who came to have a go, but most teams will sit back like Tranmere did, maybe a change of tactics is in order for the home fixtures?

Definitely backing hepingping because he knows why and where we went wrong, hopefully he'll do something about it.

3 away games coming up, a morale boosting win at Shrewsbury will set us up nicely for PNE.

Jesus holy :censored:. Some posters on here could start a row in an empty room. Pointless thread? It's a :censored:ing forum?! How are you supposed to discuss anything if someone doesn't bring forward a positive or negative argument in the first place? I honestly believe some people on here genuinley think they are some sort of oracle on all things concerning Latics and refuse to take anybody else's opinions on board.

Big Dog, I think it's a good thread, and I for one agree. I think there is still a good vibe around the club. I might slightly lower my opinion by one or two percent if we let Tarky go but I think we're on the right track. All in all it's been an interesting August, and but for the two frigging bad penalty decisions on Saturday we could be joint 4th.

Heres to an even more interesting September. moaning/over-excitement with new players/optimism being killed/tweets we dont understand from urban gangster players

Think the posts with criticism for the thread are not really fair - as stated this is a forum for debate and presented a month in review, which is not a reasonable period of time to assess a start to a season.

Overall we have not done as well as some might have hoped, but we considering where were were for most of last season, its an OK start. LJ's attitude and positivity is infectious and I think at times some fans can get a bit carried away with expectations of what we would achieve from the off.

He is a very young and inexperienced manager, but he will make mistakes, players will make mistakes and we will look crap some days. But I think that the managers character mean that he gets more time and patience from our supporters than other characters might - a good thing.

Going to miss the vast majority of this season due to traveling plans - and I am gutted I might miss one of our best for a while.

Preston in my opinion have the best possible manager on paper. Yet have only one win in 5. Im pretty sure their fans aint calling for his head or making pretty stupid posts on the forums. Carlisle have shipped ridiculous amounts of goals while coventry are i dire straights off the field. If we were in either of their situations id be worried and moaning. We aint. So im enjoying my football as every other fan on this forum should be.

Preston have had a better start than us. I wouldn't be worried at all if we were in their situation.

It was evidently a flat peformance from the lads on Saturday, we never looked like overloading the box, getting on the end of crosses, those that beat the first man.

I've come to an early conclusion that the way the team is set up, we will benefit a great deal more from playing away from home, ie PNE, where they will come at us and have a go and we can attack on the break.

Out of all the home fixtures, the one we won was against a team who came to have a go, but most teams will sit back like Tranmere did, maybe a change of tactics is in order for the home fixtures?

Definitely backing hepingping because he knows why and where we went wrong, hopefully he'll do something about it.

3 away games coming up, a morale boosting win at Shrewsbury will set us up nicely for PNE.

As I suspected, I think we'll have a great deal of success on the road, needs changing for the home fixtures from what i've seen so far...

Being back with dad will no doubts have added something to his game, Early days but very promising and he'd start at Preston for me

There is no doubt in my mind that they have sat him down and asked will he be happy to settle for sliding down the non leagues or would he rather bust his bollocks trying to carve himself out a career, because it really is last chance salloon. Thankfully he is responding!