Won 2 lost 5

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In an ideal world that sounds good, however, I think you're way off the mark to think Johnson will still be here and happy to be in the mix for the playoffs in three years time.

This guy want's success and he wants it quick.....he may be a rookie but after our Preston performance the other night lot's of clubs will have him as a future possible.

Enjoy it while you can because I can't see him wanting to be here in this division three years on!

I reckon we'll be challenging for the playoffs after Christmas and up nearer the top end of the division.....If we continue to play our football the results will come. I believe this guy's the real deal and whatever happens here will be in big demand next season.

He's very well thought of in the game and if a sleeping giant like Sheff Utd or Wolves were to show an interest he would find it very difficult to resist!

Being controversial here, we have to admit we were saying the same thing about Dickov at about the same stage of his managerial career with us. Admittedly, Dickov has arguably moved on to better things, but I don't think it's under the circumstances that many of us were expecting when he looked like the Messiah at the start of the 2010/11 season.

Edited by JoeP

Being controversial here, we have to admit we were saying the same thing about Dickov at about the same stage of his managerial career with us. Admittedly, Dickov has arguably moved on to better things, but I don't think it's under the circumstances that many of us were expecting when he looked like the Messiah at the start of the 2010/11 season.

This is different - we were winning games under Dickov :grin:

Problem is there is no such thing as 'the rub of the green' and luck doesn't even itself out.

Need to start defending better and get those strikers scoring.

Gary player once famously said its amazing how much luckier I get the harder I practice.

Perhaps if we practice harder at defending and getting on the end of crosses then we might start getting lucky infact I wouldn't be at all surprised if we do.

No, no punchline. Just the truthful and hard facts in the cold light of day. We keep losing football matches yet deluded fools on here think that we've got some sort of messiah running the team. Well i've got news for them - we've not. We've got a no-mark manager who talks the talk but can't walk the walk. He'll be gone by January.

No, no punchline. Just the truthful and hard facts in the cold light of day. We keep losing football matches yet deluded fools on here think that we've got some sort of messiah running the team. Well i've got news for them - we've not. We've got a no-mark manager who talks the talk but can't walk the walk. He'll be gone by January.

Ah, i've just got it, you're Steve Evans.

Is this groundhog day ?

Shame on you for having an alternative opinion...

I'm not as pessimistic as you by a long-shot yet, but it is worrying that we're playing well, and not winning. What will it be like when we have a bad spell? It seems like we've been here before a bit - new manager in his first role, bit of an unknown quantity to the opposition so difficult to predict, shows a lot of good-footballing values, but can't get results.

This division is ugly and every team from top to bottom scraps for results - the pretty build-up play is pleasing on the eye, but will be pointless if we can't toughen up and be more astute in both boxes.

I like Johnson (and liked Dickov early on...), but he has to learn quickly how to put games to bed, even if it means surrendering a bit of the flair.

The facts, as in results, are that we have lost 5 out of 7. The facts, as in performance, are much more encouraging. That is why the majority of fans are resisting the urge to make sweeping knee-jerk comments so early into the season. Most are prepared to give LJ time.

Pop back late December and remind us all of your words of wisdom. If your assessment is right then you can bask in the 'I told you so' glory.

If not then it's 'humble pie please and a large slice too' time.

In the intervening period, let's give him and the team our support.

Shame on you for having an alternative opinion...

I'm not as pessimistic as you by a long-shot yet, but it is worrying that we're playing well, and not winning. What will it be like when we have a bad spell? It seems like we've been here before a bit - new manager in his first role, bit of an unknown quantity to the opposition so difficult to predict, shows a lot of good-footballing values, but can't get results.

This division is ugly and every team from top to bottom scraps for results - the pretty build-up play is pleasing on the eye, but will be pointless if we can't toughen up and be more astute in both boxes.

I like Johnson (and liked Dickov early on...), but he has to learn quickly how to put games to bed, even if it means surrendering a bit of the flair.

and that may well happen as LJ learns about his team - two wingers may prove to be a luxury and we would be better served by an extra holding midfielder.

I think the manager is intelligent enough to understand that while he may have a long term plan to change every aspect of the football side of the club including introducing a new ethos and style to our play - and he (unlike some fans) appreciates that takes years rather than weeks - he also needs to deliver results in the meantime. Playing well and creating chances is better than not doing, but it does need to start translating into wins soon to take the pressure off the back end of the season. The more we look like having another relegation scrap, the more the long term plan will have to take a back seat to survival.

Edited by garcon

Obviously time will tell but as someone above as pointed out - if we're losing while we're playing well, what's going to happen when we start playing badly. And that will happen. There'll be a period this season where we lose 5 or 6 in a row. It's bound to happen because we've got a young naive manager, a young naive coaching staff and a young naive team

I think the manager is intelligent enough to understand that while he may have a long term plan to change every aspect of the football side of the club including introducing a new ethos and style to our play - and he (unlike some fans) appreciates that takes years rather than weeks - he also needs to deliver results in the meantime. Playing well and creating chances is better than not doing, but it does need to start translating into wins soon to take the pressure off the back end of the season. The more we look like having another relegation scrap, the more the long term plan will have to take a back seat to survival.

Takes time and patience..at least we can see the direction we are hopefully going in, when you compare it to last season's chaotic mess. Look at Leyton Orient..a few seasons of mediocre, a good spell toward the end of last season..top of the table now with a 4pt advantage, a record start to a season and scoring for fun.