Premier League feeder clubs

This article has just been posted on Twitter, http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/19/fa-english-football-feeder-clubs

It assesses what might happen in the future with current football league clubs becoming feeder clubs for the bigger teams. It highlights that around Europe similar things happen, namely with Barcelona B.

Could this help Latics in the future? Maybe we could be closely linked with United/City or maybe another team.

Thoughts?

It would undermine the Football League and give Premier League clubs more control over smaller clubs...Sounds like a Franchise system.

That said, it would probably be advantageous for teams like Latics and London clubs, near to big, successful clubs (especially with City's new academy being built).

However, I don't think it would feel very good having success as effectively City and United's B-team. Would the situation occur like in Spain where these feeder clubs can't be promoted because of their strong association with others?

Basically, it's a terrible idea that would accelerate the demise of lower leagues.

I rather we keep are own identity loan a few players here and there worse come to worse let there reserve sides enter League 1/2 if leagues become regionalised. Give it a few years and all of the top four when they enter a European Super League will be playing there reserves in the Premier League.

Even if the FA wanted to play Premier League reserve sides it cause lots of fixture problems meaning more Friday night, Sunday, Monday games i doubt the police would welcome extra teams playing at home and cannot see the Premier League clubs allowing use of there main staduims either as they want to protect there pitches.

Personally don't think it sounds that bad. No mention of becoming a B team, just more regimented system for loans. Would it really be that bad getting a group of players from City or United each season. Imagine if a group like Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Neville game through again and they all got sent to the same club!

Lets not kid ourselves, for the past x amount of years we have taken large amounts of loan players to plug gaps. I would much rather we had a formal arrangement with a good club that allowed us to bring in 4 players that already know each other for the season.

The feeder club idea is a non starter, and the idea of Man city B or Man utd B popping up in the lower leagues is also a non starter as they would

1. Probably get kicked all over the park

2. Get beaten every week

The strength of English football is its lower leagues as last season proved If Arsenal and Aston Villa put out full strength sides and get beat by Bradford City and Liverpool get turned over at Oldham what makes them think that their reserves will do so much better?

However I think their is an opportunity here for the Premier league and the football league here to work toards the greater good of English football. Despite this weeks episode with Albert I have no problem with city sending us the cream of their development squad to gain experience For every Rusnak you will get a Reece Warbara. While some of the youngsters sent out on loan can be very good it would be wrong for any youngster or any of the PL clubs to just assume they should start every week as their are likely to be other players who maybe older and more physically developed and can handle the league 1 football better.

The youngsters coming in should be expected to compete for a place in the team they can't just be handed a 1st team slot just because they come from a bigger club it doesn't work like that. If they were just guaranteed a starting slot the chances are that it would do more harm to their development. I'm glad Patrick Viera gave Rusnak a rocket for this and Rusnak might want to pay attention to a premiership winning title captain and world cup winner for his own good.

We've had success here in giving young players from big clubs experience to help them develop Croft, Kilkenny, Bertrand, Warbara are all examples of that these lads realised they had to come here and work hard to get given the shirt.

The changes to the rules that enable the big clubs to hoover up all the talent from across the globe, let alone their local (and not so local) area is at the root of the problem. A young player who may well be a first team regular even in the championship for his local side just isn't getting the minutes on the professional pitch due to sitting in "Elite Development Squads". If these kids were learning the game with regular appearances, building their reputations and experience they will reap their rewards one day and get all the trappings of premier league players, brap!

Look at Rickie Lambert, granted the England caps are a freak result of injuries but he was at Rochdale and now a Premier League regular. Premier League clubs need to let kids develop elsewhere rather than destroying them in their academies as they are not as good as the 17 year old Australian wonderkid.

I'd also go so far as to say that the kids in these development squads need to have a massive pay cut, how can a 19 year old earning silly money really graft when he is already getting his rewards?

as mentioned, the problem is that certain clubs now have more power than the actually game itself and one result is that a lot of players would rather take the money and sit on the stockpile of the big clubs rather than make regular appearances. To me this suggests that they're being rewarded for failure, I don't mind players coming in on loan but provided it benefits all parties involved