Manager's comments

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with this.

The team want to win and want to win playing football.

Beats Wellens in a deckchair under Moore.

This

My dad summed it up perfectly on the phone this morning:

They can be absolutely electric for 90% of the game and its a joy to watch, but the opposition have a habit of scoring every time LJ is fumbling around for a 50p for the meter. Look out when he has 1.50 in his pocket ready to go.

LJ is absolutely correct. Latics didn't play all that well yet created enough chances to win the game.

This is why I don't believe the whole 'crisis' rubbish.

It's not like last season where we had the quality up front (Derbyshire and Barnard) but couldn't give them opportunities to score from. We're actually making several very good chances each game.

What can LJ do when Danny P is missing chances from 2 yards out and the other strikers are squandering 1-on-1's? Once Rooney or MacDonald gets into form, which they ultimately will as proven goalscorers, we'll start winning.

Edited by NewBlue

Yes we missed some chances, but it isn't on to blame individuals when the team were handicapped by questionable tactics. We played a pointless half with one up front. We get back into the game and apply plenty of pressure when JCH goes up front with MacDonald. Then JCH gets subbed, after which we continue to hit the big man up front, with the obvious disadvantage that the big man is no longer on the pitch.

And so it continues, right up to the point where we throw Tarky up top when no one but Tarky is capable of winning and passing the ball to set up the diagonal launch.

In the end, tactically we were a mess, whereas at the beginning we were merely aimless. In between, for 10 minutes or so, we were well on top.

LJ is as much the author of today's defeat as anyone else. Basically, we missed the boat today tactically. I'm still confident about 13th place mind you.

Plus: they've all heard that Tarky is the New Moston Beckenbauer now, and they're right after him.

Yes we missed some chances, but it isn't on to blame individuals when the team were handicapped by questionable tactics. We played a pointless half with one up front. We get back into the game and apply plenty of pressure when JCH goes up front with MacDonald. Then JCH gets subbed, after which we continue to hit the big man up front, with the obvious disadvantage that the big man is no longer on the pitch.

And so it continues, right up to the point where we throw Tarky up top when no one but Tarky is capable of winning and passing the ball to set up the diagonal launch.

In the end, tactically we were a mess, whereas at the beginning we were merely aimless. In between, for 10 minutes or so, we were well on top.

LJ is as much the author of today's defeat as anyone else. Basically, we missed the boat today tactically. I'm still confident about 13th place mind you.

Plus: they've all heard that Tarky is the New Moston Beckenbauer now, and they're right after him.

Spot on for me. Young manager still looking for that elusive formula - indecision which is spreading to the players I feel. Ho hum.

Yes we missed some chances, but it isn't on to blame individuals when the team were handicapped by questionable tactics.

Disagree with this. I wasn't there so can't talk about specific tactics but if you're making great chances but missing them all, some awfully, and only conceding one goal and still controlling the game then the manager isn't at fault, for me.

This takes all responsibility from the players themselves. That's not to say I agree with the team he played it's just we've dominated too many matches so far, been productive in making chances yet the strikers cannot finish them. Therefore it's the fault of the strikers that cannot finish them in my opinion.

If that's the result of shackling tactics then I can't wait to see the good tactics...

Disagree with this. I wasn't there so can't talk about specific tactics but if you're making great chances but missing them all, some awfully, and only conceding one goal and still controlling the game then the manager isn't at fault, for me.

This takes all responsibility from the players themselves. That's not to say I agree with the team he played it's just we've dominated too many matches so far, been productive in making chances yet the strikers cannot finish them. Therefore it's the fault of the strikers that cannot finish them in my opinion.

If that's the result of shackling tactics then I can't wait to see the good tactics...

Fair enough we should've scored three and that's down to the players, but they weren't helped. LJ set us up with a 5-man midfield, which was meant to give us control. It didn't. What gives you control is a big man up front crashing into their centre backs at every opportunity. LJ realised that, then mysteriously unrealised it, then realised it again when the game was all but gone.

Simply staying is not good enough for me. We need to be looking to get mid table, some kind of progression.

We simply stayed up last season, having given the incumbent manager 3 years to cut his teeth, and to be fair until he left we looked like we could go down. We now have a rookie manager, have not made siginificant investment in the squad and have a large number of new players; Could you explain why you would automatically expect progression?

Fair enough we should've scored three and that's down to the players, but they weren't helped. LJ set us up with a 5-man midfield, which was meant to give us control. It didn't. What gives you control is a big man up front crashing into their centre backs at every opportunity. LJ realised that, then mysteriously unrealised it, then realised it again when the game was all but gone.

"We should've scored three"

By all accounts it should have been more than that if you add a Philiskirk chance in there.

You have to get the ball to the players in those positions, looks like it worked to me.

Perhaps an old head beside him would be helpful. We've invested in some quality players, now it's time we invest in an experienced advisor for LJ but, I'd guess, just from the nature of him, it's pride more than anything that's stopping it.

Without trying to make conspiracy theories, I'm worried that there is some disruption behind the scenes and LJ is being unsettled. It's certainly plausible with the takeover talk.

I was there and it was :censored:.

The end

I'm not sure I'd be so blunt to say it was :censored:. We did create at least 3 or 4 golden chances, but so did Crawley at the other end - only wasteful finishing and a smart stop from Oxley kept it to one.

Edited by rummytheowl

I'm not sure I'd be so blunt to say it was :censored:. We did create at least 3 or 4 golden chances, but so did Crawley at the other end - only wasteful finishing and a smart stop from Oxley kept it to one.

But I guess on the flip side you could say only wasteful finishing and the woodwork kept Oldham from taking all 3pts. Sounds like it is very fine margins between success and failure at the moment.

I think we'll be reet eventually, but you make your own luck in this game.

If we put away our chances yesterday we would have probably won the game.

We didn't, so the buck ultimately drops with the team/manager, not hard luck.

But as for judging LJ, yes results don't lie, but I think if we stand any chance of success on the field we need stability of some kind. We won't get this if we continue to adopt the biennial cycle of hiring and firing managers.

But I guess on the flip side you could say only wasteful finishing and the woodwork kept Oldham from taking all 3pts. Sounds like it is very fine margins between success and failure at the moment.

This is the key point. Marginal improvements will make big changes. Losing heart will mean players hiding from the ball and ruining the way we are trying to play. We should support what LG is trying to do and that will support the players as well.