North Stand update

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing about all this is no matter how much progress we've made in preparing, since 2008 all we've technically done is destroy one stand and building nothing...

Its alot better than just leaving the remains of what was the lookers doing nothing.

Funny thing about all this is no matter how much progress we've made in preparing, since 2008 all we've technically done is destroy one stand and building nothing...

If only every regular supporter had gifted £1,500 each to the club. Then we could have had it built years ago.

"Someone should see if there's any treasure buried underneath that cross in Photo 2."

Scoff ye not!

I counted four crosses with maybe one behind the digger with no engine. I see them as evidence that a theodolite has been used, the first actual evidence for five years that the ground is being prepared for going upwards. Exciting times 'for a Latics fan'.

For me though it restored some sense of pride in the ground. The levelled ground and those five crosses tells the football world, especially visiting fans that we have a three sided ground for a very good reason, regeneration and forward momentum. My embarrassment has been removed by those five crosses. I hope it's not temporary.

Aye, you're both right.

Onwards and upwards from here, I guess.

2m4x8c4.jpg

The last photo I had of the Lookers on my old Nokia. Farewell.

quite sad looking at that picture actually, spent some good days as a kid in that stand - won't ever be the same!

The Lookers brings back a lot of memories. Sat on the barrier where the advertising boards were during the Premier League days, laughing my head off at some guy who fell over the advertising boarding during the play off game (I think it was QPR) when trying to head the ball back on to the pitch.

Not to mention the two guys that used to sit in the lower tier, in the middle, who used to always make a Specsaver reference to the ref/linesman when they gave the opposition a decision.

Jumpers for goalposts etc. Good times.

I think it is fair to say if the plans for the new one come to fruition then they give us back a lot more than the old one did.

"Someone should see if there's any treasure buried underneath that cross in Photo 2."

Scoff ye not!

I counted four crosses with maybe one behind the digger with no engine. I see them as evidence that a theodolite has been used, the first actual evidence for five years that the ground is being prepared for going upwards. Exciting times 'for a Latics fan'.

For me though it restored some sense of pride in the ground. The levelled ground and those five crosses tells the football world, especially visiting fans that we have a three sided ground for a very good reason, regeneration and forward momentum. My embarrassment has been removed by those five crosses. I hope it's not temporary.

For a layman, I have always been curious about theodolites, how do they work, what do you see through them?

For a layman, I have always been curious about theodolites, how do they work, what do you see through them?

You see a crosshair and a few gauges telling you info about the land you're looking at (bearing, elevation angle etc.). They basically work from a reference point where you already know some key information, by setting the theodolite up directly on such a point allows you to calculate the level, bearing of the point you are trying to survey. You can then set the theodolite up at this new point (where you have established the necessary data) and perform the operation again (ie setting the theodolite directly above the point, levelling it and taking a reading).

Edited by LeylandLatic

You see a crosshair and a few gauges telling you info about the land you're looking at (bearing, elevation angle etc.). They basically work from a reference point where you already know some key information, by setting the theodolite up directly on such a point allows you to calculate the level, bearing of the point you are trying to survey. You can then set the theodolite up at this new point (where you have established the necessary data) and perform the operation again (ie setting the theodolite above directly above the point, levelling it and taking a reading).

Or to put it another way...

Andhsjdhsuchsuf cheheidhushdueufishciehf half ur nsgdirdj ajdeidhsidjeidj jf

You see a crosshair and a few gauges telling you info about the land you're looking at (bearing, elevation angle etc.). They basically work from a reference point where you already know some key information, by setting the theodolite up directly on such a point allows you to calculate the level, bearing of the point you are trying to survey. You can then set the theodolite up at this new point (where you have established the necessary data) and perform the operation again (ie setting the theodolite directly above the point, levelling it and taking a reading).

cheers Leyland

I sort of get it.

Or to put it another way...

Andhsjdhsuchsuf cheheidhushdueufishciehf half ur nsgdirdj ajdeidhsidjeidj jf

Of course, now I get it, no idea why Leyland could not have described that simply!