Disappointing Night at Molineux

The team sheet had a number of surprises and the intention was to try and play 4321 with Dayton and Montano supporting the lone Danny Philkiskirk but it was clear after 10-15 minutes it was more like the 460 which finished the Carlisle game. Philliskirk was so isolated it was laughable with him constantly coming deep or moving out wide to search for the ball. In all fairness Wolves (despite being talked up on here) were poor too, James Henry looked a threat but Griffiths barely got a kick first half. To a degree despite the negative set-up we held them pretty easily in the first-half. The only time Oxley was stretched was a flashing effort which Oxley did well to turn wide right on half-time. The weather began to take its' toll on the pitch after an absolute deluge - thankfully it subsided as another 10-15 minutes of similar precipitation would have seen the game in danger; the ball was beginning to stick and visible splashes were appearing when the players were running and the ball rolling along the ground. However, it was clear after about 10 minutes that we were lacking a presence up front.

Still, we turned round at 0-0 and there was a hope that we would perhaps change it and have a go in the second half. Half-Time is where the game was lost, Johnson set up trying to be too clever. The experienced Jackett got his troops into the dressing room had sussed out our lack of ambition and asked his players to play 6-10 yards further forward and attack us down the wings and from the outset, that's what they did. We struggled with Henry all night but from the start of the second period Sako ran the show, imposing his massive frame of the proceedings. A couple of attacks served notice and the breakthrough came less than 5 minutes into the second half when Oxley fumbled a cross (wet pitch or not the rain had stopped - game changing mistake) and James Henry tapped home. Immediately Johnson brought Adam and Clarke-Harris into the fray for the disappointing Dayton and the unlucky Winchester - who after a slow start was getting more into the game.

Clarke-Harris soon had a couple of efforts, a shot blocked and a poor header from the resulting corner. Then Wolves caught us on the break - Grounds got his bearings all wrong and could have walked for a deliberate handball, the ball squeezed through. David Mellor on for the injured Mills could have possibly conceded a penalty but Griffiths got his shot away and a relieved Molineux erupted. Game Over. Latics werre reduced to a few long range efforts. Montano in particular peppered the home goal with Philliskirk forcing Ikeme into his only save of note all night. In truth we were poor from start to finish, Wolves weren't much better in the first half but went up a gear in the second half and we were well beaten. Johnson had set us up completely wrong and we were playing catchup the moment Wolves caught us cold at the beginning of the second half. The consensus amongst us all there last night was he handed the initiative to Jackett on a Silver Platter.

He has to stop chopping and changing the team, we're in late October and haven't played the same XI all season yet he's talking about bringing more loanees in. Nope, he has to work with what he has. Pick a team and bloody stick with it. Too many including the manager saw last night as a gimme given Wolves budget etc.. but if we can have a go previously then why be so negative? It really could have been Dave Penney that picked the team last night. The frustrating aspect is that Adam Rooney has worked his arse off the last two games and played the number 9 role really well. That was just the sort of presence we needed from minute one last night. For all his qualities young Danny Philliskirk was never going to give us that. It's time Dayton spent some time on the bench too - he's too lightweight, is caught in possession time and again putting us on the back foot. He has qualities but has become ineffective and it's time he was used as an option from the bench.

LJ is 24 games into his managerial tenure, and it's the first time I've questioned his tactics - 0-0 at half time or not he got it completely wrong last night. If we'd had a go we could have got something from the game. Wolves were tentative and the fans were getting on their backs after 20 minutes but with zero ambition from us they were allowed to grow into the game, they were dominating by the last 15 minutes of the first half and we needed to show some attacking intent. It simply didn't happen. All in all a very disappointing night.

I know it's Wolves Away, but they're in League One on merit - previously we've gone away to these bigger teams and a had a right good go - City, Sheff Wed, Forest, Leeds, Leicester etc last night we were beaten the moment that team sheet was handed in. However, we go again Saturday and the Swindon and Notts County games need to yield at least 4 points to get us back on track and moving up that table.

Oxley - One outstanding save, big mistake on the first goal - 5

Kusunga - Needed him to impose himself on the game, he didn't - Sako ran him ragged at times - 5

Grounds - Steady enough but calmitous for the 2nd goal - 6

Tarky - Caught in possession too often - 6

Mills - Ineffective, crocked - 5

Wes - Battled hard, tried to get forward - 7 MOM

Smith - Not his best night, caught in possession too easily - 6

Montano - IN and out of the game but our one (weak) threat all night - 6

Dayton - Latest in a line of powder puff performances - 5

Winchester - First 20 minutes everything backwards then began running with the ball and looked much more effective. Growing into his role but sacrificed at 0-1 - 6

Philliskirk - Massively isolated for the first hour, improved when support arrived off the bench - 6

Subs:

Clark-Harris - Put himself about, little to show for his efforts - 6

Adam - Couldn't get into the game - 5

Mellor - Came on at left-back, kept Henry fairly quiet in the last 20 minutes, took care of the ball. Steady - 6

I agree that our midfield is a massive issue, we have to bring some strength and some goals into the middle or we are looking at another relegation battle. 3 wins in 12 says it all. The manager has to find the right balance and stick with it. We have been too gung ho and lost, we have tried shutting up shop and been beaten. But even when we've been gung-ho the goals have not flowed freely save for an odd game. We need bodies in the box and quality balls in. Montano put in 2 or three cracking balls in the first half but no one was on the end of them and this happens week after week. We need one or two to gamble more. LJ will have to make yet more changes for Saturday and it's not time to panic yet as we're only 12 games in but the next three games could be season defining given we're playing two teams below us. I'd definitely be ruthless and drop the goalkeeper, that's one mistake too many for me. My team for Saturday...

Rachubka

Kasunga

Tarky

Grounds

Mills if fit if not Grounds to LB, Kasunga to CB and Winchester in at RB

Schmeltz

Mellor - Give us that height, strength and goal threat

Wes

Montano

Adam

Philliskirk

Smith and Dayton have been poor for a while, Wes deserves his place but we have to start showing an attacking threat, especially at home. The report overall seems negative, but there were really little positives if any to be taken from the way we set up to the final result last night.

Edited by oafcprozac

And i'm not disputing Wolves have a massive budget, a squad of ex-Premier League players and one or two on stupid money, a fantastic ground 15-20,000 crowds etc…. but FFS no matter what we should have gone there last night and had a bloody good go. That simply didn't happen. I can cope with losing, even playing pisspoorly but we didn't show any ambition until the game was effectively over.

I just think we need to try something different in the middle, so one of Smith/Wes has to be benched - Wes despite my previous criticisms has played well since Rotherham Away - Smith has gone into his shell and is deeper by the game. We need a midfielder that is going to support us offensively AND we need some height and strength in there. Look how Sako was able to dominate? A bit of height, build and strength at this level goes a long way in this league. Look at the effect young Stephens had on us and look how :censored: we were with Furman and Worthington in there before he got his chance.

Dropping Smith would be mental.

The trouble with Wes and Smith in the centre is that neither really create anything - they're almost too similar and if it came to picking one ahead of the other, it's Smith every time for me.

For Saturday, either set out like we did against Carlisle or stick Mellor in for Wes to provide some creativity from central midfield - worked well towards the back end of last season.

Smith and Tarky are players of the season so far. Smith has been outstanding. What we need (and i've been say it for a long time) is a playmaker in the centre of the park. Someone who can put his foot on the ball, spot a pass, make things happen. We're one-dimensional without Harry Styles.

A quality midfielder of the type suggested above will not come cheap, neither will a striker who scores goals, which is the area I think we need to fill.

He's cheap and in non league Pete, but going to another club in our division or higher in January I understand.

In fact the prolific striker from the same club may go well go with him.

Edited by BP1960

If we had a young Stephens at the club he most likely would be partnering smith but we don't . I'm as upset as most at the way we set up last night but I don't for one minute think the solution is to break up the smith/wes partnership , the same partnership that has dominated other teams' central midfield consistently over the last few weeks including two games away at fourth placed Preston . In the last few weeks Wes has been getting into some great positions on the break . He scored at Preston had a decent chance against Carlisle and was unlucky when the ball smacked his head against orient near the six yard box . We should of set up in the same way as Saturday last night IMO. Early balls out wide to Dayton and utilise phillis clever movement coming inside from the right , Rooney as a focal point and millar stretching their defence allowing us to progress up the pitch . I'm certainly not panicking . I'd like to see schmeltz get a chance from the start Saturday .

Smith and Tarky are players of the season so far. Smith has been outstanding. What we need (and i've been say it for a long time) is a playmaker in the centre of the park. Someone who can put his foot on the ball, spot a pass, make things happen. We're one-dimensional without Harry Styles.

Cost big money those fellas though unless you can pick up a gem loanee.

For me we just lack height and strength in that area, someone like a McDonald for them last night would be an ideal type.

I actually think Charlie Mac could be out top scorer if we can keep him fit. He gets himself on the end of things a lot I know he hasn't finished all his chances and has missed a few sitters but at least he was there. If the chances keep coming and hes fit I can see him getting 12-15.

Cost big money those fellas though unless you can pick up a gem loanee.

For me we just lack height and strength in that area, someone like a McDonald for them last night would be an ideal type.

No they don't, see my post above, the player I refer to is young, 6' 1", similar to McDonald but will score more goals per season.

Edited by BP1960

No they don't, see my post above, the player I refer to is young, 6' 1", similar to McDonald but will score more goals per season.

No problem with dipping into non league, it's a weakness with our scouting, no way of knowing if they will sink or swim though, whatever you say otherwise.

Essence of that post - Keep the same team.

End of that post - Overhaul the team.

Smith played well last night. But I agree with Winchester, went backwards too often even though he was composed. Midfield needed a box-to-box player, I agree that player can be Mellor.

With Dayton you've got to accept he will be powderpuff at parts of the game but is one of our only players that can produce a bit of magic. Some people like that, some don't.

A quality midfielder of the type suggested above will not come cheap, neither will a striker who scores goals, which is the area I think we need to fill.

Adam Rooney has scored 4, Mcdonald 3. Both havent played every game and have been dropped. Rooney wins peno, scores peno gets dropped. All this talk in pre season of we will score loads was tosh, we have no threat from midfield, and the wings are happy to turn around and keep the ball rather than try and get something into our strikers. Should have stuck t his winning side last night. All this talk of Millar being on fire, and he doesnt get a sniff. Yet he brings JCH on who has been nothing short of crap.

LJ got it all wrong last night, because we lost and imposed no desire to score or threat. Had we won we would still be a bit downbeat with how negative we were with the tactics. He said in the pre match interview we try and win any game. That formation suggested he was happy with a draw. I couldnt name a terrible performance last night, I think LJ has to take full responsibility. But hes young, hes learning and he will make these mistakes. If he ever tries playing for a draw again though after weve paid the best part of £50 to be there, Id like him to let us know, so we dont have to bother turning up.

If he ever tries playing for a draw again though after weve paid the best part of £50 to be there, Id like him to let us know, so we dont have to bother turning up.

I saw someone say this on twitter, and it has got to be one of the most ridiculous things ever. How the :censored: is Johnson going to let the fans know without letting the opposition know. Not to mention that if the opposition are expecting 500 Latics fans but only 100 turn up then that is surely going to be a clue.

I could keep going, but as someone more famous than I said, "Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I take it you aren't going to Brentford though.

Some decent points Prozac but I cannot agree with dropping Smith, 1st half he broke up play so well and the biggest reason himself and Wes were less effective 2nd half was because they were up against 3 decent Wolves centre mid's with their tails up.

Oxley I'm undecided and slightly indifferent about, there's a good 'keeper there and I think we'll see the best of him in the 2nd half of the season, but before then if we need Rachubka's experience to shore things up then so be it.

My idea for the next 2 games would be to go back to basics without changing too much. I like that LJ is willing to try different things out but he's clearly tinkering too much and I think it would be best to go for a system that the players can understand easily and adapt to quickly, 4-4-2. While I'd move some players about I'd go for nearly the same XI as yesterday.

Oxley/Rachubka

Winchester

Kusunga

Tarky

Grounds/Mills (if fit)

Dayton

Smith

Wes

Montano/Mills

Philliskirk

Rooney/Charlie Mac (if fit)

Players in what is pretty much their best positions. Philliskirk dropping deep would allow Rooney/Mac to push on to the last defender and Smith and Wes to do what they do best. Philliskirk's link play has looked good but last night showed that you can't link things up if there's no one up front to link to!

After that I think we can get away with a lack of creativity in defence or midfield as long as we get the most out of our wide players. Dayton, Montano, Sidney, Millar, whoever plays needs to step up.

I saw someone say this on twitter, and it has got to be one of the most ridiculous things ever. How the :censored: is Johnson going to let the fans know without letting the opposition know. Not to mention that if the opposition are expecting 500 Latics fans but only 100 turn up then that is surely going to be a clue.

I could keep going, but as someone more famous than I said, "Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I take it you aren't going to Brentford though.

Do you seriously think I want him to announce it on twitter or something? He should just phone me in advance, I can keep a secret

Not unfair Prozac, you could argue that LJ is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Had Oxley not made a mistake and we continued to hold on to 0-0 and then nicked a winner near the end, his tactics would've proved inspired. Its a fine line.

I do agree with you however that I'd have rather seen us have a go at them, a la Peterborough away and still lost. I travelled to the game with a friend who is a Wolves fan and he told me that Swindon, Crawley & Coventry played them off the park, however only the latter came away with a point.

Maybe we just have to accept that whatever tactics Johnson tried, we were unlikely to come away with anything.

One thing that is beginning to frustrate me however is the chopping of players who have been effective the week before. I was certain Kirk Millar was getting a start after his contribution against Carlisle, so was surprised to see both he and Adam not in the 11.