Cristian Montano

4 goals in pre-season..... a worldy at Stevenage opening day..... followed by another at Rotherham. Can someone tell me what he's done wrong? He had a niggle or two I recall but he's had a clean bill of health for a few games now. He's got to be starting hasn't he....?.....or is there something else going on of which I am unaware....?

He's always been a confidence player, maybe he's just out of form in training at the moment? He's definitely been more effective this season though and is starting to score goals.

Dayton might have set up Rooney's goal yesterday but did nothing apart from that. We might have done better if we'd played with two wingers instead of putting Millar (the winger) upfront and Philliskirk (the striker) on the wing. Schmeltz worried them when he came on (shame he did :censored:e), but Montano would have done the same, and better than Dayton.

He's always been a confidence player, maybe he's just out of form in training at the moment? He's definitely been more effective this season though and is starting to score goals.

Dayton might have set up Rooney's goal yesterday but did nothing apart from that. We might have done better if we'd played with two wingers instead of putting Millar (the winger) upfront and Philliskirk (the striker) on the wing. Schmeltz worried them when he came on (shame he did :censored:e), but Montano would have done the same, and better than Dayton.

So Dayton set up a goal but did nothing else?

WTF else is he supposed to do?

It seems the manager cannot trust some in his squad to put two good games together.

Bigger mysteries are why Edijs Joksts was signed and why Chris Sutherland is totally out of favour ?

Joksts - a cheap player with age and potential apparently on his side.

Sutherland - still very young. I like what I've seen of him in brief cameo's but not to the extent that he should be thrown into the 1st team.

So Dayton set up a goal but did nothing else?

WTF else is he supposed to do?

get himself involved a bit more, track back a bit, make things happen up front. Montano looks to get forward when he gets the ball, Dayton doesn't look to take a man on. I like him as a player, but I think Montano would have made more of an impact yesterday.

It seems the manager cannot trust some in his squad to put two good games together.

Bigger mysteries are why Edijs Joksts was signed and why Chris Sutherland is totally out of favour ?

Edijs was signed as one for the future and because he was cheap, I think Johnson thinks he will be good enough physically to play now, but will struggle mentally. Sutherland has apparently been out injured, but as we have 2, possibly 3, wingers who are fit, plus Philliskirk and Millar in front of him I can't see him getting much game time, which is why we have attempted to send him out on loan, and were possibly successful already this season.

What has happened to the flying winger that is Dayton, he was touted as a possible international by his previous manager yet he seems very ordinary to me.

I remember in the 1st game at Stevenage he tore their full back a new arsehole so much so that he was replaced for fear of him being sent off.

He was on fire that game and whenever he got the ball he looked to charge forward at every opportunity.........what has happened since is a total mystery to me!

What has happened to the flying winger that is Dayton, he was touted as a possible international by his previous manager yet he seems very ordinary to me.

I remember in the 1st game at Stevenage he tore their full back a new arsehole so much so that he was replaced for fear of him being sent off.

He was on fire that game and whenever he got the ball he looked to charge forward at every opportunity.........what has happened since is a total mystery to me!

He played on the RW in that game, with Monty on the left. We also had Baxter pulling strings in the middle....!

Edijs was signed as one for the future and because he was cheap, I think Johnson thinks he will be good enough physically to play now, but will struggle mentally. Sutherland has apparently been out injured, but as we have 2, possibly 3, wingers who are fit, plus Philliskirk and Millar in front of him I can't see him getting much game time, which is why we have attempted to send him out on loan, and were possibly successful already this season.

Sutherland was sent on a trail with a view to a loan to Stockport County.

He trained for a week and played 1 game. They subbed him off after 60mins and sent him back.

That's a bit of a worry for a youngster trying to forge a career in professional football - being deemed not good enough for semi-pro non-league side.

Gossett on the other hand is pulling up trees for them. A County ST mate raves about him.

I'd keep him in as he's a good player and along with the other 10 needs a run of games so the team gel rather than chopping and changing

Our first XI are more than capable to cement a top 10 maybe top 6 position and injuries permitting, we need to persevere with that selection...

I still question that a more creative central midfielder is the key to our success; we're missing Baxter and Mellor could well fill that position on a longer term (I'd personally put him in there now) but a more immediate solution may be the shot in the arm we need...if Larnell Cole comes recommended by Scholes then great.

So...Montano one wing, Dayton the other with Rooney and Philliskirk up front until McDonald is back.

We just need to return to that tempo, direct, attacking, incisive play via our front four as opposed to hoofball.

I've said a few times and excuse me whilst I say it again but that Stevenage game showed so much promise and excitement that I genuinely thought that it was the template for how we would play each and every game. Stick to that eleven (obviously replacing Baxter), attack with the ball at pace and the large majority of sides at this level cannot cope.

We have those players but gone off the boil lately - stick with this players and resist the chopping and changing both on he field and the coaching hierarchy (as LJ doesn't need an assistant)

i think we started with the 'we'll score more goals than you' attitude which allowed us to relax and not worry about conceding 1 as we'd just bag more...

Even though we didn't pick up points in some of those early games, we stuck to it but I think things changed after the Preston game. It seemed to me that we just lost all confidence that we could afford to concede a goal and at times, we've just become overly cautious. You can probably say this is down to general player confidence and then also team selection...we started with montano and dayton....schmeltz came in and did ok (but tired in games) and then we moved onto philliskirk who drifts in and makes us narrow.

Think as some have said, we should have confidence in our abilities, after all, we have seen it, and bang two wingers in. Dayton doesn't have to be as cautious as maybe he was with mills at LB because grounds doesn't push on as much so he should be having a real go this weekend

People keep harping back to the Stevenage game, it was the opening day, they are one of the weakest teams in the league, not saying it was a freak but anyone expecting us to play like that all the time are going to be disappointed.

I said Stevenage showed so much promise, which we should build on. The matches I've seen so far regardless of competition shows that by playing the pacey, attacking football creates numerous chances and achieves majority possession. Take the Preston game - ok with didn't win but gas enough chances in that first half to win 10 matches.

The ability and potential is there, which is what I'm saying.