Attack

We seem to have a relatively predictable back 4 when they're fit, that being: Lanzoni at RB, Kusunga and Tarky in CB and Grounds at LB. I'd say the same about the midfield pair being Korey Smith and Wes. However, our attacking line-up is far more contentious.

With the likes of Rooney, JCH, Montano, Dayton, MacDonald, Philliskirk and Schmeltz at disposal who should we play and in what system?

Personally I would choose Dayton and Philliskirk in the CAM positions, supporting MacDonald and Rooney. That excluding Montano and JCH who I think are equally as worthy of a place.

It's a tough dilemma for LJ yet it needs to be sorted by the 16th for MK Dons in order for us to have settled team ready to build partnerships and understanding.

We seem to have a relatively predictable back 4 when they're fit, that being: Lanzoni at RB, Kusunga and Tarky in CB and Grounds at LB. I'd say the same about the midfield pair being Korey Smith and Wes. However, our attacking line-up is far more contentious.

With the likes of Rooney, JCH, Montano, Dayton, MacDonald, Philliskirk and Schmeltz at disposal who should we play and in what system?

Personally I would choose Dayton and Philliskirk in the CAM positions, supporting MacDonald and Rooney. That excluding Montano and JCH who I think are equally as worthy of a place.

It's a tough dilemma for LJ yet it needs to be sorted by the 16th for MK Dons in order for us to have settled team ready to build partnerships and understanding.

We do however need to change our shape/system as we are not providing enough shots on target when our football is in the main excellent and good to watch!

LJ sticks by his 'wingers' who come into the hole, rather than the touchline wizards so I would like him to try more of a 4-3-3 system with at least 1 wide player staying wide, Schmeltz or Montano and even on occasions going to 3 at the back, especially at home at nil-nil! JCH all the time for me, I am afraid!

If its 4-4-2, if all fit, then;

Rachubka

Brown

Tarky

Kasunga

Grounds

Dayton

Wes

Korey

Monty

Rooney

MacDonald

If we want to be more adventurous, 4-2-3-1

Rachubka

Brown

Tarky

Kasunga

Grounds

Wes

Korey

Monty

Philliskirk

Dayton

JCH – but he must be told to stay central and not go drifting off to the wings!

If its 4-4-2, if all fit, then;

Rachubka

Brown

Tarky

Kasunga

Grounds

Dayton

Wes

Korey

Monty

Rooney

MacDonald

If we want to be more adventurous, 4-2-3-1

Rachubka

Brown

Tarky

Kasunga

Grounds

Wes

Korey

Monty

Philliskirk

Dayton

JCH – but he must be told to stay central and not go drifting off to the wings!

Lanzoni has to be in when fit.

Edited by BP1960

1 league goal this calendar year (Furman at Stevenage in Feb) from a recognised CM - until Johnson sorts this issue we will toil. If strikers aren't getting in the box then at least one CM should be breaking from deep to arrive in there. It doesn't happen and hasn't since we sold Stephens....

Edited by oafcprozac

1 league goal this calendar year (Furman at Stevenage in Feb) from a recognised CM - unit Johnson sorts this issue we will toil. If strikers aren't getting in the box then at least one CM should be breaking from deep to arrive in there. It doesn't happen and hasn't since we sold Stephens....

Wow, is that right!?! That is some stat!

This highlights the fact that Wes and Korey are very similar. Sadly they are our best 2 midfielders, hence they start week in week out. If we accept they are similar and wish to play them both, then arguably 4-4-2 it cannot be..... this is why I offer up something like a 4-2-3-1. This would require all of Monty, Dayton and Philliskirk to be chipping in with regular enough goals. 10 each over the season maybe.

The alternative of course, is that we find an Attacking CM [Redfearn?] and drop one of Wes or Korey when playing 4-4-2. Can Mellor play that role? He's not a left back for me!

1 league goal this calendar year (Furman at Stevenage in Feb) from a recognised CM - until Johnson sorts this issue we will toil. If strikers aren't getting in the box then at least one CM should be breaking from deep to arrive in there. It doesn't happen and hasn't since we sold Stephens....

But we are starting to get goals from our wide men this season which is a plus and should be less of an issue. This is where we really missed Chris Taylor las season however I think Dayton is capable of getting goals if anything I'm disappointed he hasn't got the ball out of his feet and had a crack more often he's got it in him. The cms and wide men should be looking to make runs beyond the strikers.

Some people have said the problem was in attack last season others have said it was at the back it was neither the problem was the midfield. The cms rayed in the centre and the wingers stayed wide. Because of that we didn't give teams enough to think about and it cost Paul Dickov his job. If you have players running from deep you can create space and opportunities for the strikers already in the box.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Massive bug bear of mine this. Crying out for a Duxbury who would chip in with regularity...

Dux had the best midfielder we've had in god knows how long constantly sat behind him dictating play in shez . As a result he could get in the box nine times out if ten.

So basically, and i think i've nailed it here - we just need to find an aging 30odd year old ex International, who has fallen out of the league, currently playing non-league, and get them in to play CM for us. Then all will be sweet again....

(Should have winky smiley face here, but on my phone!!!)

Edited by slystallone

So basically, and i think i've nailed it here - we just need to find an aging 30odd year old ex International, who has fallen out of the league, currently playing non-league, and get them in to play CM for us. Then all will be sweet again....

Edgar Davids - come on down :)

Then Scholesy could continue to pay his £20 as a fan.

Edited by LaticsPete

Not saying that at all . Just pointing out Dux had licence to roam and get into the box because he had shez pulling strings sat deep behind him . In a similar way Gary mac had a good goal return when he had wellens doing a similar job as shez .

Personally I would build the team around Dayton in a central position behind the strikers as he can be almost unplayable in there. That along with Philliskirk's touch and awareness would mean we can actually create through the middle. You can't play Dayton centrally in a 2 so I'd go with wing backs who are clever on the ball and can retain possession.

Rachubka

Kusunga Tarky Grounds

Winchester Mills

Smith Weso

Dayton

Philliskirk McDonald

This only works if Mills signs for the rest of the season, but every single player is comfortable in possession. The 3 centre halfs give Smith & Weso license to push further up the pitch along with the option for one of them to hold and cover when we push Winchester and Mills right up when dominating teams.

You'd hope LJ is 'cultured' enough to deviate from 4-4-2