Perspective

Nah he's the cheap option we should have gone for Phil brown or Gary megson or someonelse with experience......

.....of failure.

Haha those are the two managers who I thought we should get in at some stage. Megson for the majority of the time as I still think he was the most logical choice at the time for what we needed, he would've kept us up but I doubt he would've left us in a great state this year.

Wanting Phil Brown for less than a week before LJ was appointed was simply out of the desperation that we weren't going to be able to appoint anyone who was anywhere near competent. The self-flagellation for this train of thought is still ongoing!

You have to hand it to Corney, it was a huge gamble that paid off in the short term and looks like it possibly could in the long run too.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

And what my I ask does this season have in common with all of those seasons, Nothing at all. They bear no relation to this season at all.

You can't really say that until the second half of the season though can you? Because if we do fall apart, and we do have previous on this (but fingers crossed it won't happen again) it will have a lot in common with a lot of seasons.

In a few ways, its similar to Dickov's second season. We did well in the cups (JPT northern final, 3rd round of the cup.) League form was ok. Not amazing but not terrible. And in that season it fell apart in the second half of the season.

This season we are doing well in the JPT and have a good chance to get to the third round of the FA Cup. League form has been good recently but overall it is just ok. Hopefully we won't fall apart in the second half of the season.

I can't believe anybody wanted Megson or Phil Brown. These are managers who've been despised at almost every club they've managed. I have to say I was a little underwhelmed by LJ's appointment at the time but willing to give him a chance. I think it's almost always a better idea to go for someone young and hungry with new ideas than so called 'tried and tested' experienced managers at this level. The sort of experienced managers a club like ours can attract will have had careers consisting almost entirely of failure and mediocrity.

And what my I ask does this season have in common with all of those seasons, Nothing at all. They bear no relation to this season at all.

The similarities between Dickov season one and Johnson season one are strong. Except Dickov had us higher up the table.

Now I think Johnson has shown an ability to turn things round from a bad run, something Dickov never really did. He's used substitutes tactically, rather than as a last ditch lump it forwards routine.

But the PR / fan love-in is much the same at this stage. The league position is worse. Johnson's in a very good place with me, but, as he's hinted himself, he's far from proved his ability.

You have to hand it to Corney, it was a huge gamble that paid off in the short term and looks like it possibly could in the long run too.

Corney really put his neck on the line with this appointment if he'd got it wrong we would have gone down and the fans would have unleashed hell on him for making such a risky managerial decision he made the right call so far! Theirs a long way to go in this season yet and we may well likely hit bad form again at some point. It's important we bounce back from that.

The similarities between Dickov season one and Johnson season one are strong. Except Dickov had us higher up the table.

Now I think Johnson has shown an ability to turn things round from a bad run, something Dickov never really did. He's used substitutes tactically, rather than as a last ditch lump it forwards routine.

But the PR / fan love-in is much the same at this stage. The league position is worse. Johnson's in a very good place with me, but, as he's hinted himself, he's far from proved his ability.

My first game on 10/11 season was Bournemouth at home. We were 1-0 down. Dickov made a double sub which helped us gain a foothold in the game and won.

TThere are lots of similarities. Indeed, one of the only differences is that Dickov had us higher...

My first game on 10/11 season was Bournemouth at home. We were 1-0 down. Dickov made a double sub which helped us gain a foothold in the game and won.

TThere are lots of similarities. Indeed, one of the only differences is that Dickov had us higher...

Just looked it up. It wasn't a double sub. He carted Jones off for Alessandra. Still changed the game in our favour...

As we all seem to agree, we deserve to be higher up the table and soon will be, the signs are there. LJ is doing OK

Prior to LJ's appointment, I was very worried indeed that we were going down. Tony Philliskirk was doing the level best he could do, but it needed a manager appointing to come in and do the quick fix neeeded to keep us up. We were in a 10 game mini league, and we needed results; fast! We needed an inconsistent and underperforming group of players, who were clearly unmotivated and not fit enough to suddenly click into place and get the results we needed.

When the news broke on here that we were going with Lee Johnson - a recently retired ex player, younger than me and with zero experience fo his name, I text my Dad and said i felt we were down. I just couldnt get past the thought process that we needed a been there, done it all old war horse to come in for those 10 games to keep us up. iIRC, i too was on the Megson ship - it wouldnt have been pretty football and it would not have been entertsining but i felt at the time that was what was required.

Then i met LJ.

I was lucky enough to be one of the ones to meet him on his 1st day at the fans meeting. My whole outlook changed in that 1 hour or so with him.

He talked such a good game. He had the knowledge of the game at this level, he had the contacts, he had the qualifications, he had the talk.

It was a little thing, right in the middle of the session, when i realised we just might be OK with the chap.

Croft and his earings. LJ may be young i thought, but he's been schooled properly and he appeared to be the type who whilst embrasing the modern ways, would not be forgetting the past.

So far - have to say, its been as i expected. Very much a work in progress.

But - the signs aint half promising.

The footballs been improved. The atmosphere around the place too, and latterly, the results have started to come.

The link between the youth, reserve and 1st teams is now there, and TP's young prospects have been given a chance. Young lads ostracised by Dickov, ended up having a real impact on us staying up after LJ gave them a chance (& actually spoke to them for a start!)

It really has been a promsing start. But thats all its been, a start.

I said this year was all about progression and development, and i stand by that. But - if LJ could also squeeze in a JPT win and a decent run in the Fa Cup as well a league progress; well - feck me, what a debut full season that would turn out to be eh?

Promising, but that is all at this stage...

Lj seems to have a plan .. Even if all around him don't.. Read the property article and even in his personal life he has made calculated and educated risks .. With diligence. I'm not sure he knows how to fail. Players like wes have altered their game subtly and improved.. In less than 9 months .. What could he do in three years ?

There is no love in .. In fact I think he sounds like a real smug git. The kind of guy that on the surface I would avoid in the pub.. However that said .. You can't help but enjoy his 'love' of the club I love. He has no links here no past, no history yer his affection for Oldham athletic is genuine .. That is worth my respect ! Rumour has it he watched the city kid 10+ times before loaning him !! Had the burnish lad 2 weeks before we found out.. He may not be the messiah ... But he ain't a naughty boy either.

The difference between this season and all those others is that we haven't reached New Year yet. If we then carry on by continuing current form, we're in for a very good season.

I thought LJ was a cut above average at his post-appointment interviews.

I find it very difficult to compare his detailed negative analysis of the clubs infrastructure and subsequent rapid improvement with any other manager, including Big Joe. Examples are; the weight loss of our (how shall I put it?) more chunky squad members, above the call of duty friendship and assistance in the development of CH and his ability to bring in a number of no-cost quality signings. There are of course many other areas he has improved not least being the quality of our football.

Has anyone else noticed that our improved results ratio seems to stem from the cessation of continuously playing the ball out from the back? His head is full of ideas and he is not afraid or incapable of changing what is not working.

I hope I'm not mad but I would be very worried if we went up this season (not that I think it's likely). We need to build our fan base up to around 8 or 9 thousand and that's not going to be possible without the new stand. Our best way forward IMO would be to create interest with improved results, good football and dicing with the play-offs, a trip to Wembley in the Paintpot and then 'investing' in a big quality striker in the close season as a priority and season ticket seller.

As to what Johnson is going to do on this 'contract business', he is right he has achieved nothing yet. But I do believe he has got his teeth into Oldham Athletic and make no mistake he will be motivated by the desire to create something out of nothing. I wouldn't mind betting that Corney has kick started the new stand on the back of what he and LJ are plotting.

I have always thought Simon Corney was a decent bloke and that is what I think of Lee Johnson.

The difference between this season and all those others is that we haven't reached New Year yet. If we then carry on by continuing current form, we're in for a very good season.

The big difference for me is the squad depth and the rotation policy which is clearly geared towards the second half of the season.

Dickovs 1st season we went flat out to begin with and burnt out in February the same could be said of shezs play off season. In both occasions we had what you would call a settled 1st 11 by this stage which as good as picked itself. This time we are utilising our squad and because of that you just feel that this engine will go further because of it.

We may not have peaked yet!

Whilst we had the managerial vacancy between Dickov leaving and LJ's appointment I pushed for Sean Dyche to be appointed, he's now top of the Championship with a squad whose reputation and wage-bill is probably bottom half of the league - LJ's does alright too...

Their was a lot of names suggested at the time of championship managers who were never really likely to come people were suggesting the likes of billy Davies and Nigel Adkins which were pretty laughable really. Sean dyche seems abit more realistic at the time although it's fair to say his wage and budget will be several multiples of what LJ is working with right now.

For us it was always going to be an untried manager wanting to cut his teeth or a tried and failed manager glad we went with the former.

My sister and her fella own a fancy dress shop on Rochdale rd in Royton. Around Halloween LJ pitches up in the shop and has a chat with the brother in law (city fan) who had no idea who he was...

BinL says you dont sound local and they get into a chat about LJ being the manager of Oldham and they get into a full blown coversation for 40 minutes about the club, the town and how he is trying to really get the town behind the team....

He was on the phone to me saying when are you back from Libya I want to go and watch Latics.........remember he is a City fan.....

LJ has something, from the day i met him on his 2nd day I have been nothing other than impressed, 1 thing to bear in mind, our team is full of kids and they are very difficult personalities you could see that at the charity poker tourament that they all attended, but he is doing an unbelievable job not only has a football manager of the club but producing a buzz in the public.

Im thinking playoffs after a big december and SC backing him in the transfer market in jan,......

As Wizzo says, there's something very compelling and coercive about Johnson. When he speaks, you listen; it must be a useful ability when bringing in players.

This, as well as having meticulous attention to detail and an eye for a player, should make for an excellent manager. Under Johnson we have the potential to do great things. Whether we fulfil the potential is as much about the success of the club off the field as it is on the field.

The only problem I foresee is that if we don't reach the potential we have under Johnson's leadership some fans might see that as the last straw given the expectancy we've placed upon him.

Edited by Mullet