Sport commentators

While often maligned, Motson.

The bloke who did Superstars had something. Bringing meaningless events to life. Was it David Vine?

Michael Holding is exceptional on Sky cricket.

I miss expert comment from Ron Atkinson. While occasionally inflammatory Shane Warne is excellent.

Having recently heard David Coleman's commentary of the terror attack in the 1972 Munich Olympics he gets a look in as an answer to the question too.

Not a commentator but I like Boycott on the cricket, even more these days now that Aggers stands up to him, makes for entertaining radio.

Also on the Cricket I like Jim Maxwell, very aussie, over the Ashes series in the summer he had both myself and my wife in stitches with just a few turns of phrase.

Sid Waddell.

"Bristow reasons - Bristow quickens - BRISTOW!"

Forgot about Waddell. Darts isn't the same without him

Cris Collingsworth in the NFL is another brilliant one. Cricket: Atherton as a journalist, he writes in The Times, but he brings that expertise into the commentary box too.

Does anybody feel like commentating is becoming very cliched? I recognise there are not that many words to describe what is basically the same action repeated in different ways - sport - but the best find a way around it.

Most of those mentioned are not commentators, they are pundits.

Commentator wise - Barry Davies is by far the best IMO. (Sid widdell was brilliant too)

Pundit wise - I want to see someone with their own opinion. Boycott, Stevo (Rugby league), Roy Keane, Lee Dixon, Shane Warne and Nasser Hussain.

Insight wise, Shane Warne is brilliant.

Edited by pukka

Motson used to be great and is still occasionally on the recorded commentaries on MOTD - when he knows what's about to happen. His high point was Germany 1 - 5 England in Munich. If he ever does live footie now, he's always the last to know. 25-yard netbuster gets, "Has it crossed the line? Yes it has."

My real favourites are Mike and Gordon. Summariser award goes to Roy.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

Motson used to be great and is still occasionally on the recorded commentaries on MOTD - when he knows what's about to happen. His high point was Germany 1 - 5 England in Munich. If he ever does live footie now, he's always the last to know. 25-yard netbuster gets, "Has it crossed the line? Yes it has."

My real favourites are Mike and Gordon. Summariser award goes to Roy.

I was under the impression that those commentaries are still done live even if they are then edited down for MoTD?

I was under the impression that those commentaries are still done live even if they are then edited down for MoTD?

So was I, but then I started thinking about it while watching MOTD at the weekend. No doubt in my mind that they're studio-based. I'm prepared to believe that they're touched up after the fact (either at the ground or elsewhere), but I don't reckon they're live as such.

I always thought Sports commentators was a subject that pretty much everyone agreed on who was good and who was bad, but I've been proved well wrong by this thread.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, but I can't stand Jim Watt and Shane Warne. Jim Watt seems to just be too critical, like he was the perfect fighter who never ever made a mistake. And Shane Warne is so annoying. He makes a stupid point. Then repeats it over and over and makes himself sound even more stupid. And then writes a column about it. And then says it again in the next match.

Sky tend to get it right mostly with their cricket commentators. Michael Holding is the absolute best. They should just make him commentate on all 15 sessions of every test they cover. I was a fan of Glenn McGrath on TMS this summer too. It would be good if he did a lot more in the future.

I like a few of the American Football commentators. But only ever one of the partnership it seems. I like Troy Aikmen, but don't like Joe Buck. I like Jim Nantz but not a fan of Phil Simms on commentary (big fan of his work as a QB though). Al Michaels is basically a commentating god, but I can't warm to Cris Collingsworth. To be fair to Collingsworth though, he is following John Madden which is basically an impossible job.

I think my favorite American sports commentator is Mike Emrick though. He is ace on the Hockey. Was great when he was the Devils fairly biased announcer, and now he is ace just doing the big games for NBC.

Warney I like as a commentator but he tries far too hard to be controversial when he writes and just comes across as a prick. Who's the Scottish bloke who does the posh egg chasing, or did? I like him.

Bill McClaren, I had forgotten about him. you are right LL he was one of the best. A dink to the left then the right he used to call a shilly shally, he made rugby interesting.

Edited by disjointed

I always thought Sports commentators was a subject that pretty much everyone agreed on who was good and who was bad, but I've been proved well wrong by this thread.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, but I can't stand Jim Watt and Shane Warne. Jim Watt seems to just be too critical, like he was the perfect fighter who never ever made a mistake. And Shane Warne is so annoying. He makes a stupid point. Then repeats it over and over and makes himself sound even more stupid. And then writes a column about it. And then says it again in the next match.

Sky tend to get it right mostly with their cricket commentators. Michael Holding is the absolute best. They should just make him commentate on all 15 sessions of every test they cover. I was a fan of Glenn McGrath on TMS this summer too. It would be good if he did a lot more in the future.

I like a few of the American Football commentators. But only ever one of the partnership it seems. I like Troy Aikmen, but don't like Joe Buck. I like Jim Nantz but not a fan of Phil Simms on commentary (big fan of his work as a QB though). Al Michaels is basically a commentating god, but I can't warm to Cris Collingsworth. To be fair to Collingsworth though, he is following John Madden which is basically an impossible job.

I think my favorite American sports commentator is Mike Emrick though. He is ace on the Hockey. Was great when he was the Devils fairly biased announcer, and now he is ace just doing the big games for NBC.

As a player I couldn't stand the man. Within one session of his commentary and an interview at either lunch or tea with Aggers i had completely changed my opinion, a good bloke and a good addition to the TMS team. I hope he does go on to do a lot of commentary.

As a player I couldn't stand the man. Within one session of his commentary and an interview at either lunch or tea with Aggers i had completely changed my opinion, a good bloke and a good addition to the TMS team. I hope he does go on to do a lot of commentary.

That was exactly what I thought too.

Bill McClaren, I had forgotten about him. you are right LL he was one of the best. A dink to the left then the right he used to call a shilly shally, he made rugby interesting.

His greatest addition to the game was his hierarchy of roughness in scrum goings on. I can't remember the names of the levels, but there were four, starting with hanky panky and including jiggery pokery.

Edit: the others are rumpy pumpy and argy bargy.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill