John Paul

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scratch2000uk

Heights have leveled off. I'm sure i was taught that evolution was in part due to natural selection, mutation, migration, and genetic drift.cant remember them saying pot-noodles make you taller, but it was a long time ago,

Lol@evolution. That would only be true if tall people had more kids, and passed on "tall" genes to their offspring. Which over many thousands of years would lead to an evolutionary trait of taller human beings.

Unfortunately (I can say this as a tall person), there is no evidence to suggest tall people have more children. Also, as humans are essentially monogamous, and the ratio of males to female is close to 1:1, even if women did prefer taller men, short-arses would still get their fair share.

Due to the human race trying to eradicate survival of the fittest, evolution of humans will be even slower than other mammals. Which in itself is already a hugely slow process.

Indeed, many commentators (not Gord, Roy and Mike) believe our intelligence will devolve. "Stupid" people that cannot (won't) get a job tend to have 6 kids+ and pass their "stupid" genes on to lots of kids. The intelligent community are nerdy scientists stuck in labs, never procreation. The intelligent genes largely die out.

We Are Doomed!

Lol@evolution. That would only be true if tall people had more kids, and passed on "tall" genes to their offspring. Which over many thousands of years would lead to an evolutionary trait of taller human beings.

Unfortunately (I can say this as a tall person), there is no evidence to suggest tall people have more children. Also, as humans are essentially monogamous, and the ratio of males to female is close to 1:1, even if women did prefer taller men, short-arses would still get their fair share.

Due to the human race trying to eradicate survival of the fittest, evolution of humans will be even slower than other mammals. Which in itself is already a hugely slow process.

Indeed, many commentators (not Gord, Roy and Mike) believe our intelligence will devolve. "Stupid" people that cannot (won't) get a job tend to have 6 kids+ and pass their "stupid" genes on to lots of kids. The intelligent community are nerdy scientists stuck in labs, never procreation. The intelligent genes largely die out.

We Are Doomed!

Healthy full time births probably does a lot to increase average height. Diet also, the stereotype of the short Japanese is long gone since McDonalds and co upped their protein intake. You may be wrong on monogamy and recent trends though, there was a very high level of, "other fatherhood,"certainly in the decades after the war. What is certain is that we are preserving people who would have likely not reproduced and therefore carrying conditions but which we can treat, meaning that some conditions are more prevalent. The balance is clearly positive as we are bigger, stronger and live longer.

There's a lot of guesswork and dictosim logical fallacies in all of that lot. By the same virtue couldn't stupid people will die out because they don't take vaccines, for instance?

However, it's true that genes aren't that important for size, traits, intelligence etc - if it was, all Australians of European descent would be criminals.

rummytheowl, on 30 Jan 2014 - 7:05 PM, said:

There's a lot of guesswork and dictosim logical fallacies in all of that lot. By the same virtue couldn't stupid people will die out because they don't take vaccines, for instance?

However, it's true that genes aren't that important for size, traits, intelligence etc - if it was, all Australians of European descent would be criminals.

I did say commentators and not experts :grin:

Are you suggesting that being a criminal is in the genes? It would be an interesting line of defence, not guilty by reason of diminished responsibility. "I can no more stop being a criminal than I can stop being blue eyed" :applause1:

Is Matt annoyed because he didn't steer this thread off-topic? Anyway, it is on-topic! Discussing why we should have taller trialists since we did in Hitler's time. :ass1:

Indeed, many commentators (not Gord, Roy and Mike) believe our intelligence will devolve. "

Is that somethig o do with Scottish independence...?

Feck off and take your banks and your bagpipes with you

Edited by Dave_Og