james dayton

after what I thought was a fair team effort last night im struggling to see what he brings to the team, his dead balls are criminal to the degree that wolves knew to pack the front post when he delivered his corners he just cant hit the back stick of penalty spot and the ball never beats the 1st man, after some decent pressure early in the second half he was directly responsible for the breakdown in play which led to wolves going up the other end to score, he doesnt have any pace or a trick to beat a man and invariably cuts inside and either lays it off or loses it how he got back in last night is a mystery especially on the right, youd of thought he would of stepped up but he didnt and for me has run out of chances, LJ is going to have to put personnal friendships aside and do the right thing, my final point is why take charlie of when he looked like he could sneak one for us he was full of running and looked dangerous why didnt he drag dayton off who did as much last night as he did in 20 minutes on saturday ? must give specially mention to ox who was immense keeping us in the game also thought tarky,wes,korey and charlie did there bit

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after what I thought was a fair team effort last night im struggling to see what he brings to the team, his dead balls are criminal to the degree that wolves knew to pack the front post when he delivered his corners he just cant hit the back stick of penalty spot and the ball never beats the 1st man, after some decent pressure early in the second half he was directly responsible for the breakdown in play which led to wolves going up the other end to score, he doesnt have any pace or a trick to beat a man and invariably cuts inside and either lays it off or loses it how he got back in last night is a mystery especially on the right, youd of thought he would of stepped up but he didnt and for me has run out of chances, LJ is going to have to put personnal friendships aside and do the right thing, my final point is why take charlie of when he looked like he could sneak one for us he was full of running and looked dangerous why didnt he drag dayton off who did as much last night as he did in 20 minutes on saturday ? must give specially mention to ox who was immense keeping us in the game also thought tarky,wes,korey and charlie did there bit

Charlie was wrecked and looking to come off from what I noticed. 2 games in 4 days for the old man of the pack after an injury lay off.

If LJ would have ran him into the ground for the full 90mins we may have seen him sat out future games due to Injury etc. Right sub but I would have made a double change earlier and pulled Dayton off at the same time.

after what I thought was a fair team effort last night im struggling to see what he brings to the team, his dead balls are criminal to the degree that wolves knew to pack the front post when he delivered his corners he just cant hit the back stick of penalty spot and the ball never beats the 1st man.

after some decent pressure early in the second half he was directly responsible for the breakdown in play which led to wolves going up the other end to score, he doesnt have any pace or a trick to beat a man and invariably cuts inside and either lays it off or loses it how he got back in last night is a mystery especially on the right, youd of thought he would of stepped up but he didnt and for me has run out of chances.

, LJ is going to have to put personnal friendships aside and do the right thing.

my final point is why take charlie of when he looked like he could sneak one for us he was full of running and looked dangerous why didnt he drag dayton off who did as much last night as he did in 20 minutes on saturday .

? must give specially mention to ox who was immense keeping us in the game also thought tarky,wes,korey and charlie did there bit

This is where I am.

His corners make me blue in the face.

Most of our corner takers have been crap for the last few seasons, Dayton is no worse than most.

If you want to get angry about set pieces look at throw-ins! We have been :censored: at throwing it to a man in space, without even having to worry about offside and we still can't manage to build up a decent passage of play from a throw in.

Most of our corner takers have been crap for the last few seasons, Dayton is no worse than most.

If you want to get angry about set pieces look at throw-ins! We have been :censored: at throwing it to a man in space, without even having to worry about offside and we still can't manage to build up a decent passage of play from a throw in.

The very basics of coaching, yet for several seasons throw ins in particular are an invitation for the opposition to take possession.

Surely there must someone in the teams sent out who can throw the ball more than 2 yards?

Old timers will remember the Rysrard Kowenicki and his spectacular overhead throw. I wonder why no present day coach has tried to teach this technique to his players? but then again I guess it's not in the FIFA/UEFA coaching manuals so will be a no no.

Edited by BP1960

The very basics of coaching, yet for several seasons throw ins in particular are an invitation for the opposition to take possession.

Surely there must someone in the teams sent out who can throw the ball more than 2 yards?

Old timers will remember the Rysrard Kowenicki and his spectacular overhead throw. I wonder why no present day coach has tried to use this technique with his players, but then again guess it's not in the FIFA/UEFA coaching manuals so it's a no no.

It goes back well before Talbot, even to Royle, we are crap at throw ins.

As a full back I take throw ins. I've never done an overhead one. I've also never read a FIFA/UEFA coaching manual. Riddle me THAT!

You could say to THAT the art of using your own initiative has gone, this applies to managers, coaches and players (except Harkins of course).

Edited by BP1960

Dayton's scared of getting injured again.

That's why a player with ability is under-performing.

He's always been :censored: at corners.

I noticed he pulled away from a couple of 50/50s, he needs taking out of the firing line IMO.

All his best work comes in central areas, would like to see him have a go there before writing him completely.

At the expense of who and what formation?

We play with 2 grafters (Smiffy & Wes), which leaves us with 4 spots and 2 of those are best served with, in my opinion, 2 forwards.....Philliskirk & MacDonald for me. Then assuming that on current form, Harkins is a given....there is one spot left and with that lot, the middle is too congested so someone wide is needed....and when Worrall is fit, he will start instead of Dayton.

I had hopes (not setting the bar too high here so it becomes a trip hazard) for him when he signed but

there is not one consistently good part to his game.

Edited by mikejh45

It goes back well before Talbot, even to Royle, we are crap at throw ins.

It goes back further than that, one of my 1st memories watching Oldham (1969) is the crowd moaning how clueless we were at throw in's. As a 8 year old I thought people only came to football matches to moan. 45 years on I realize I was right.

• 3 weeks later...

It goes back further than that, one of my 1st memories watching Oldham (1969) is the crowd moaning how clueless we were at throw in's. As a 8 year old I thought people only came to football matches to moan. 45 years on I realize I was right.

I've been going since the mid 80s, we have been crap at throw-ins for as long as I've been going.

Dayton's scared of getting injured again.

That's why a player with ability is under-performing.

He's always been :censored: at corners.

He's inexcusably :censored: at corners. No professional footballer should be so consistently bad in their delivery.

And no manager should nominate such a player as a taker of corners.

Flattered to decieve really.

IMO, there is a player worth keeping and trying to get the best out of. Stevenage away showed what he is capable of producing.

But as the season has gone on, that performance looks to be the exeption rather than the norm.

Worrall and Harkins both look better options than him for the wide roles.

Playing him through the centre is a strange move though...