Latics bad weather conditions matches ?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

West Ham in the Cup early 1960s. Torrential rain and a howling gale blowing from the RRE to the Chaddy. Jack Burkett (IIRC) scored for West Ham from inside his own half, the ball carrying in the wind, one bounce and it skated past Johnny Bollands and in. There's a pic of it in one of Stewart Beckett's books.

There used to be a band at half time in those days, but the weather was so bad, they played in the top tier of the main stand.

I'm sure Diego, BP1960 and LaticsPete will remember it. Provided they were there, of course.

It was a fluke goal really, but Bollands took the blame from a lot of fans at the time.

A couple I remember, Chesterfield away in the F.A Cup 1970s played in a blizzard, an afternoon match yet we didn't get back home until 1am.

The opening of the new Lookers stand, those sat in the first dozen rows or so got a soaking.

Edited by BP1960

Recall us whupping Ipswich 4-0 in a snowstorm when the rocky road end was open on an evening match. The plucky travelling few were moved I recall at some point to one of the sides.

I remember that, didn't Ipswich have a Russian International who looked as though he wished he was back home in milder Siberian weather.

Edited by BP1960

I remember a match when it never stopped p***ing with rain - it was one of the many drenchings i got in the uncovered lookers paddock - it was possibly v norwich or maybe swindon around 97/98...it was so bad the paddock nearly emptied! Tucked against the back wall or into the bar..

Rochdale away, when it was abandoned.

Got stuck in tea time traffic and it took an hour and a half from Stalybridge....and when we got there it looked like every seat was taken. Stood at the front and got absolutely drenched for the 5-10 mins that it lasted.

I would have happily died of hypothermia to stand in that vociferous atmosphere though...it was the loudest I have ever heard Latics fans.

Edited by lancy lad

I could mention my anecdote involving two of the Oldham Tinkers, but I've flogged that to death already.

I await your contact.

Canny lads I bet the Kearns' but I know John Howarth better.Look forward to our meeting .

There were many matches in the old days played in fog or abandoned, it always used to settle in the hollow at Boundary Park.

Thank goodness for the clean air act.

If the ref could see both goals from the halfway-line, the game went ahead. If you were at either end of BP, you had to guess what was happening at the other end. We used to try to find our way round Westwood Park in the 'pea souper' fogs. Happy days!

late seventies early eightys Burnley at home tuesday night game and weather that bad only one solitery Burnley fan in the rre all the rest were either in the chaddy or the paddocks

can remember the pic on the back page of the chron of him soaked and all alone

also didnt it bounce down first home league game on the plastic ( BARNSLEY ?) ?

Yes the West Ham game with the comical (if you were a West Ham fan) goal and of course the Southport game - pitch completely covered in snow and we won 11-0. When I arrived home my dad asked me how they'd got on (Boxing Day so no sports news in those days). When I told him we won 11-0 he wouldn't believe me (I had been known to have him on a bit in the past). It was the next day when he saw the newspaper that he finally believed it! Served me right!

Bristol Rovers away in the late 90s. Rain absolutely flogging it down and it was a wonder the game finished. The pitch was like a boating lake.

We all got bloody soaked in the open paddock, even though about three million of us tried to shelter under the tea bar canopy. It worked ok until we jumped in the air and there was a collective cracking of heads on the tea bar roof.

One bloke, who I think said he'd come over from the Isle of Wight, took his shirt off and just stood there topless in the monsoon. His reasoning was that it's extremely uncomfortable standing in a sopping wet shirt. That's a rough translation of what he said, anyway.

Well the Southport match was cold but the Ipswich match has to take it. 2 Ipswich fans were taken away by ambulance first half suffering with Hypothermia. Alll through the match there was horizontal sleet carried on the gale force wind straight into RRE. It was a police decision to move the crowd from there before any other fans succumbed to the conditions.

Rochdale away, when it was abandoned.

Got stuck in tea time traffic and it took an hour and a half from Stalybridge....and when we got there it looked like every seat was taken. Stood at the front and got absolutely drenched for the 5-10 mins that it lasted.

I would have happily died of hypothermia to stand in that vociferous atmosphere though...it was the loudest I have ever heard Latics fans.

The replay wasn't much warmer either!!!!!