Latics greatest 'spine of the team'

Goram only played with Miligan Yardog73, possibly Henry but I dont think so.

surley for this the spine must have played together?

sorry didnt think they had to play in the same team, that would be my all time best spine lol

best all time 11

goram

irwin

jobson

barrett

barlow

wright

milligan

henry

palmer

ritchie

bunn

subs

rhodes

marshall

sheridan

holden (ricky)

futcher (ron)

warhurst

redfearn

sorry didnt think they had to play in the same team, that would be my all time best spine lol

best all time 11

goram

irwin

jobson

barrett

barlow

wright

milligan

henry

palmer

ritchie

bunn

subs

rhodes

marshall

sheridan

holden (ricky)

futcher (ron)

warhurst

redfearn

I didnt think Harry Bunn did that well for us tbh, I agree with Darren Sheridan though

Edited by youngen

Understood, by who? I always thought in a 4-4-2 the spine was the 2 forwards, the 2 central midfielders and the 2 centre backs (+/- the GK).

(Hallworth)

Barrett Jobson

Henry Redfearn

Ritchie Marshall

As good as Jobbo was I would have the ludicrous acceleration of Paul Warhurst in his place.

Understood, by who? I always thought in a 4-4-2 the spine was the 2 forwards, the 2 central midfielders and the 2 centre backs (+/- the GK).

(Hallworth)

Barrett Jobson

Henry Redfearn

Ritchie Marshall

I bow to your superior medical knowledge, but I thought one spine was the norm ? :wink:

(Hallworth)

Barrett Jobson

Henry Redfearn

Ritchie Marshall

Marshall had a golden year as a mostly stand in striker during the promotion year but surely he must be classed as a centre back who Royle used to good effect when we needed an extra man upfront?

Marshall had a golden year as a mostly stand in striker during the promotion year but surely he must be classed as a centre back who Royle used to good effect when we needed an extra man upfront?

...which is why he fell out with Royle and left... and scored against us on the opening day of the 93/94 season as a centre forward for Ipswich - I've never completely forgiven him for celebrating so vociferously in front of the Chaddy End. His complete career will tell you he was a Striker, who also played centre half, not the other way around.

He and Redfearn - who also fell out with Royle because Royle wanted him to play on the right hand side instead of Neil Adams, following Milligan's return from Everton - were two [of the few] examples of mistakes made by our greatest ever manager. They were not replaced with better players IMO. When back in the 2nd tier with Lee Richardson in midfield and Sean McCarthy up front, we rued the decisions to let Marshall and Redfearn leave.

Still, it was a pleasure watching them while they were with us. How much I'd love to see two players like them don the blue shirt today. Lets hope LJ finds us a couple over the next few seasons.

As good as Jobbo was I would have the ludicrous acceleration of Paul Warhurst in his place.

Warhurst was my favourite player when I was a nipper. I think on the balance of things Jobbo was the better centre back, but pure nostalgia has me backing you up on this one.

What lookersstandandy said, plus the fact that I tried to pick a spine from when they played together and were at their best, hence why Marshall as opposed to say Palmer or Sharp.

I'd also throw the aforementioned Warhurst in the mix as a player Big Joe let go, because he wanted to play in a different position than JR wanted. He won a Premier League winners' medal at Blackburn as was still playing in the Prem, as a midfielder for them, having been signed as a striker, when we were getting relegated from the now Championship to start our long spell in this division.

...which is why he fell out with Royle and left... and scored against us on the opening day of the 93/94 season as a centre forward for Ipswich - I've never completely forgiven him for celebrating so vociferously in front of the Chaddy End. His complete career will tell you he was a Striker, who also played centre half, not the other way around.

He and Redfearn - who also fell out with Royle because Royle wanted him to play on the right hand side instead of Neil Adams, following Milligan's return from Everton - were two [of the few] examples of mistakes made by our greatest ever manager. They were not replaced with better players IMO. When back in the 2nd tier with Lee Richardson in midfield and Sean McCarthy up front, we rued the decisions to let Marshall and Redfearn leave.

Still, it was a pleasure watching them while they were with us. How much I'd love to see two players like them don the blue shirt today. Lets hope LJ finds us a couple over the next few seasons.

Totally agree with the thoughts on Marshall and Redfearn ......switching Warhurst to right back was another disastrous decision. He finished up on the verge of the England squad with Blackburn as a forward until he got injured.

Totally agree with the thoughts on Marshall and Redfearn ......switching Warhurst to right back was another disastrous decision. He finished up on the verge of the England squad with Blackburn as a forward until he got injured.

Memory is hazy but Warhurst got picked for England (but did not play) while at Sheff Wed as a makeshift striker. This was before he went to Blackburn. It was at Blackburn he kept on getting big injuries and started to fade.